Ad blocker question

I just installed the Ad Blocker Plus extension to my Safari browser. While checking "Preferences | Extensions"  I found a note that reads " Adblock Plus and read, modify, and transmit content from all webpages.  This could include sensitive information like passwords, phone numbers and credit cards" .   Raised a flag for me.  What does this actually mean?  Am I making my browsing unsafe by using the adblocker?

Greetings,

As long as it is the legitimate Adlbock Plus browser extension then it's fine (such extensions require that level of access to be able to block ads on websites so that's quite normal).  The real/legitimate Adblock Plus can be found at the following pages; if the one you got was named slightly differently or came from a different site/source then it may be a risk:

https://adblockplus.org/
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus-free-ad-bloc/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb

Thank you. Much appreciated. 

I got the extension from my Safari extensions list.  Adblock Plus 1.12.5 by Eyeo GmbH.  I checked the link that you gave and it appears to be the same extension and is from Eyeo BmbH. 

I also noticed the same statement on the other extensions that I  use, i.e., Ebates and Pinterest Pin It Button. Why do they need the same level of access?  Do all extensions routinely use this level of access?  

It's pretty typical, especially for any extension that alters any of the content that appears on webpages such as ad blockers, link checkers and the like.  It's generally not a big deal as long as the company behind the extension is reputable, though it is advisable to read their terms of use and privacy statements to make certain they are not collecting/sharing/selling any of your information, especially for marketing purposes (assuming you'd have a problem with that, which I certainly do).

You're welcome, I'm glad to be of service :)

By the way, in case you were not aware, Malwarebytes actually has a browser extension which is available for both Chrome (and other Chromium based browsers such as Microsoft's new Chromium Edge browser, SRWare Iron and Vivaldi) as well as Mozilla FIrefox.  If you wish to learn more and possibly download it you can find out more at the links below:

Chrome
Firefox