PUP: BING-LAVASOFT-FF59.XML

Yesterday I went thru and deleted over 5000 email going all the way back to 2003.

I might have clicked some links in some of them.

I have noscript and ublock on my browser and I didn't get any notification from mbam that something fishy was going on.

Today there was a notification that mbam had found a PUP: BING-LAVASOFT-FF59.XML

I quarantined it and deleted it.

It didn't look like it was installed or anything (maybe noscript stopped it?)

I've run several more scans with mbam, adwcleaner and windefender and I haven't found anything after I removed it.

But one thing I noticed is when I was in windows settings, looking at the recovery section, on the right side it says: "Have a question?" with links underneath it in blue color and

when I clicked the one that said: "Create a recovery drive", it opened up a tab in my firefox browser with a bing.com search.

I'm can't recall if this is normal behavior and that it's supposed to open it through bing search instead of a google search or not.

I'm slightly paranoid and I hope you can help me out.

I have run Farbar and I got the FRST.txt and the Addition.txt but I noticed that there was some sensitive info in there that makes me not comfortable posting it here

so I was hoping I could PM a mod with those files instead.

Thanks

2019-05-03 21_32_18-Window.png

mbam_log.txt

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Hello @toadboy and :welcome:

Sorry for the delay. The link it a Microsoft lInk based on what you've posted. It will open using whichever browser is your default. But it should not open a search link. It should open a direct link to a Microsoft URL.

Did you still need help at looking at your system?

Thanks

Ron

• Root Admin

Yes, that's fine. Let me have you run the following and you can PM me the logs and I'll take a look.

Please run the following steps and post back the logs as an attachment when ready.

STEP 01

• If you're already running Malwarebytes 3 then open Malwarebytes and check for updates. Then click on the Scan tab and select Threat Scan and click on Start Scan button.
  • If you don't have Malwarebytes 3 installed yet please download it from here and install it.
  • Once installed then open Malwarebytes and check for updates. Then click on the Scan tab and select Threat Scan and click on Start Scan button.
  • Once the scan is completed click on the Export Summary button and save the file as a Text file to your desktop or other location you can find, and attach that log on your next reply.
  • If Malwarebytes won't run then please skip to the next step and let me know on your next reply.

STEP 02

Please download AdwCleaner by Malwarebytes and save the file to your Desktop.

• Right-click on the program and select RunAsAdmin.jpg Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • Accept the Terms of use.
  • Wait until the database is updated.
  • Click Scan Now.
  • When finished, please click Clean & Repair.
  • Your PC should reboot now if any items were found.
  • After reboot, a log file will be opened. Copy its content into your next reply.

RESTART THE COMPUTER Before running Step 3

STEP 03
Please download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens, click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). If you've, run the tool before you need to place a check mark here.
  • Please attach the Additions.txt log to your reply as well.

Thanks

Ron

• Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks