Three questions about the future of MBE for Chrome

LordDuckling

• On the MBE's icon I can see the number of things that are blocked, but not exactly what is blocked. Is there a feature planned that displays what is being blocked?
  • And is there also a feature planned that allows the user to block or whitelist stuff on a per item bases (like uBlock offers), rather than whitelisting a whole domain?
  • And do you intend to in the future add the ability for users to add filter lists, or perhaps go the other way around and opensource your filter lists to be used in other blockers like uBlock Origin?

My only hope is that these incredible extensions can be included in the Malwarebytes installation in the future (as it happened with other features, such as Anti-Rootkit, Anti-Ransomware, etc.), in order to become an enhancement of MB's Web Protection 😊

Not all MB users know them, since they can only be installed through Chrome and Firefox stores, and it's a pity, in my opinion

3 hours ago, MariuxReloaded said:

My only hope is that these incredible extensions can be included in the Malwarebytes installation in the future (as it happened with other features, such as Anti-Rootkit, Anti-Ransomware, etc.), in order to become an enhancement of MB's Web Protection 😊

Not all MB users know them, since they can only be installed through Chrome and Firefox stores, and it's a pity, in my opinion

Agreed, especially considering just how effective at stopping certain threats such as tech support scams the browser extension has proven itself to be (based on my own long term extensive testing since long before it was even made available on the forums; I've not come across a single tech support scam site it did not successfully detect/block in many months now, and believe me, I've tried).

7 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Agreed, especially considering just how effective at stopping certain threats such as tech support scams the browser extension has proven itself to be (based on my own long term extensive testing since long before it was even made available on the forums; I've not come across a single tech support scam site it did not successfully detect/block in many months now, and believe me, I've tried).

Exactly 👍

7 hours ago, MariuxReloaded said:

I agree also that such a quality of life feature would be nice to have. But after using the extension for a month I think that the extension needs more polish and offer more granular control to be reliable enough. For example on www.bol.com, the scam protection breaks the site. I then add the site to the whitelist, but 1- I don't want to add the whole site to the whitelist, but just the problematic component (like people can with uBlock Origin), 2- adding the site to the whitelist didn't prevent scam protection from breaking the site, and I don't know why because the extension doesn't tell me what it has exactly blocked (i.e. so that I can't know that shouldn't be adding bol.com to the whitelist, but instead the domain of an underlying cdn or something). 

• 1 month later...

@LordDuckling

• On the MBE's icon I can see the number of things that are blocked, but not exactly what is blocked. Is there a feature planned that displays what is being blocked? -- Future version will have this capability
  • And is there also a feature planned that allows the user to block or whitelist stuff on a per item bases (like uBlock offers), rather than whitelisting a whole domain -- This is currently a feature request we have
  • And do you intend to in the future add the ability for users to add filter lists, or perhaps go the other way around and opensource your filter lists to be used in other blockers like uBlock Origin? -- Our filter list comes from our own dedicated research team, right now we don't have any plan to opensource our filter list.