AVG is reporting Mbam.exe as a threat

I have 4 clients running AVG internet security and it is tagging mbam.exe and mbam.exe setup as threats.

When 3 of my clients tried to open Malwarebytes, AVG popped up with a threat box. My clients clicked "allow" but it did not work. Malwarebytes popped up with a message saying " The system cannot find the file specified and gave an error of 715 (2,0) which when looking up told me to reinstall the program

I went into add/remove but AVG wiped Malwarebytes out of Add/remove Programs

I then proceeded to try to download the setup file from download.com and AVG again popped up and said that this is a threat so now i cannot even re install it

This seems to be happening only in AVG Internet Security. I emailed AVG to tell them this program is not a threat

I would like someone from Malwarebytes to contact AVG also so they can fix this and i can reinstall malwarebytes

robin

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi! If your a Corporate user: please send an email off to corporate@malwarebytes.org you will get a reply faster.

With the new version, all I have on AVG is as follows:

You first need to report it to AVG, then add our files to the exclusion list:

Right-click the AVG icon in the system tray.

On the shortcut menuselectLaunch Control Center.

Click the 'Tools' tab, select Advanced settings...'

Scroll down or select 'Exceptions'

Click 'Add List' and copy and paste the following list of files:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbam.sys

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

Click OK 3 times.

Reboot your PC.

I hope this helps, please report back when you can... regards...

@ robinb

Is this something that's only happening today, or when did it start? I'm curious to know because I also use the AVG internet security and I have a paid version of Malwarebytes as well and I haven't gotten any notifications from AVG, at least not yet.

Also, definitely follow yardbirds instructions :rolleyes:

To anyone else reading this who knows AVG:

Do you know where the exclusions area/list is located? I have not been able to find it yet so I haven't added mbam to the exclusions list yet but I know that I probably should do so...

@ robinb

Is this something that's only happening today, or when did it start? I'm curious to know because I also use the AVG internet security and I have a paid version of Malwarebytes as well and I haven't gotten any notifications from AVG, at least not yet.

Do you know where the exclusions area/list is located? I have not been able to find it yet so I haven't added mbam to the exclusions list yet but I know that I probably should do so...

In my version of AVG, I click on Tools (top menu option)

Then Click on Advanced Settings

Go down the list to Resident Shield and expand it

Then you will see Exceptions

@ robinb

this started happening yesterday after the last update

AVG said they are working on it

I am going on one of my clients computers and add the excemptions now and see what happens

i will let you know but i really would like avg to correct this problem

robin

@ Robinb

Oh, okay. Hmm.

I hope that that works!

AVG should correct the problem, I agree. Hopefully they do this soon.

In the future, when you reply to someone, please erase what the person said to you and just write

@username

or

username:

to address the person so that they know you are responding to them (like I did for you), rather than quoting all of their text.

@ robinb

If your a Corporate user, you should contact Malwarebytes at the email address I posted above.

files you need your AV/Firewall for mbam to trust

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref (Windows 2000/XP)

Please let us know how things work out? regards...

Hi! If your a Corporate user: please send an email off to corporate@malwarebytes.org you will get a reply faster.

With the new version, all I have on AVG is as follows:

You first need to report it to AVG, then add our files to the exclusion list:

Right-click the AVG icon in the system tray.

On the shortcut menuselectLaunch Control Center.

Click the 'Tools' tab, select Advanced settings...'

Scroll down or select 'Exceptions'

Click 'Add List' and copy and paste the following list of files:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

Click OK 3 times.

Reboot your PC.

I hope this helps, please report back when you can... regards...

In AVG internet security you can only add folders- not individual files

I had to add the whole path

like in drivers- I had to include the whole folder

and exceptions is in the residential shield

robin

In AVG internet security you can only add folders- not individual files

I had to add the whole path

like in drivers- I had to include the whole folder

and exceptions is in the residential shield

robin

ooops i read it wrong- i tried to do it in exceptions not the add list

I am fixing it now and going to see if this works

robin

ooops i read it wrong- i tried to do it in exceptions not the add list

I am fixing it now and going to see if this works

robin

ok i did this on both computers

the only thing that happened is when malwarebyte needed an upgrade on one computer AVG still came up with a warning but i clicked allow and it allowed it through

but so far so good

i just hope those who do not come here-and sees how to fix it avg figures out and puts a new patch to fix this problem

I am going to put the exception on the other 2 computers now

thanks for the help

robin

Your Welcome! You should take a look at Post # 14 before you log out... regards...

ok i only have what you pasted here in the exceptions now

but

I double clicked the icon malwarebytes and it opened fine but when it installed a newer version- AVG still came up telling me it was a threat. This time when i allowed it- it did not crash the program

but this means it is still not 100% fixed

The 3 computers that had the problem of avg uninstalling the program- I was able to now download it and reinstall with no problems.

The 2 computers that are also running AVG Internet Security, i did the Add List exceptions and rebooted. I double clicked the icons and the program opened fine.

But: when i went to do an upgrade because it said it needed to go to a new version, AVG again popped up saying it was a threat- this time i clicked -Allow_ and it continued to install the upgrade, which goes to show it is not entirely fixed. Something must be overwritten or added when the program upgrades that is not in the exception list now

I sent an email off to avg to show them what you told me to do and also told them even with an upgrade AVG is still saying it is a threat and told them they need to fix this because not everyone comes here for answers.

robin

robin

Greetings robin :rolleyes: .

That will need to be a very temporary workaround as real malware will often install drivers in that folder so as soon as AVG has corrected the problem you should remove that path from your exclusions.

I did remove the driver path when i realized i should have copied and pasted the list given here.

'exile360'

Interesting though, it seems to be only happening in the Internet Security Version

I did a test on the avg free and avg pro verisons with malwarebytes installed and this doesn't happen.

So when someone goes to do a scan with malwarebytes and they have avg internet security they are in for a major surprise so i hope AVG fixes this asap.

robin

I noticed when it did its upgrade to a new version what AVG popped up is mbamsetup.

where does file come from within the program so i can exclude this too

because when you go to download it from the internet it is similar to that file and AVG was stopping that file from being downloaded.

I can download it now with no AVG threat popping up but not when it upgrades the program

robin

I noticed when it did its upgrade to a new version what AVG popped up is mbamsetup.

where does file come from within the program so i can exclude this too

because when you go to download it from the internet it is similar to that file and AVG was stopping that file from being downloaded.

I can download it now with no AVG threat popping up but not when it upgrades the program

robin

i looked in AVG and it shows it here

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam-setup.exe

I just added that one too

robin

Interesting though, it seems to be only happening in the Internet Security Version

I did a test on the avg free and avg pro verisons with malwarebytes installed and this doesn't happen.

robin

That's interesting, and explains why I didn't encounter this problem when updating or performing a MBAM scan today or yesterday, as I have the free version of AVG 8.5.

Strange though, as AVG say that the free and paid versions use the same virus definition base and the same scanning engine, so I don't understand why the free version's Resident Shield wouldn't kick off too... Maybe they just mean the pro version and not the other paid versions...

AVG corrected their recent FP with iTunes and iPod within 24hrs, so hopefully if this isn't fixed already, it will be very soon.

I to have had a client of mine who runs avg internet security 8.5 and paid edition of malwarebytes. AVG deleted apart of malwarebytes and was getting that 715(2.0) or something like that, After removing malwarebytes and running the mbam-clean.exe i think its called, fixed the issue, as with out running that cleaner tool reinstalling malwarebytes wasnt working.