Stiles

Malwarebytes won't open Win 10

I've tried various methods to open Malwarebytes but none have worked. The Malwarebytes service runs but the program does not open.

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab
    Repair menu_arrows.png

7. Click the Gather Logs button
    Advanced_arrows.png

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    Advanced Gather Logs_arrows.png

9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Advanced Gather Logs completed_arrows.png

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Posted (edited)

Hi @Stiles,   :welcome:

Thank you for running the Support tool report.   This system has definite signs of an infection.  We need to have this thread moved to Malware Removal Help section.

Please hold on until we get proper assist to get this moved over.

By the way, I would be interested to know whether recently Avast antivirus was attempted to be installed & or uninstalled ?

I did notice the Windows log showing a number of pending file rename operations for Avast.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated name in case user needs to get an email alert on this reply

@Stiles  Hi,

This thread has been moved over to the malware removal help section.  I will be helping you, one to one, to clear out the infection.

As we go along, if you have a question, or something is not clear, please stop and ask me here first.

We are going to start with a first run to remove the blocks that are present now that block most all security tools from being run.

By the way, until this case is closed, we want to not be doing any web surfing, shopping, or banking.  Keep any internet usage down  to the very very barebones minimum.

and, no "web surfing".

I am sending a custom Fix script which is going to be used by the FRSTENGLISH tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please RIGHT-click the (attached file named) FIXLIST and select SAVE AS and save it directly ( as is) in the Downloads folder 

The tool named FRSTENGLISH is already on the Downloads folder.

Start the Windows Explorer (Windows 10 File Explorer) and then, open the Downloads folder.

Double click FRSTENGLISH to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. Some machines take longer than others.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run. Please attach the Fixlog.txt in your reply.

fixlist.txt

Fixlog.txt Also, I did install and uninstall Avast to make sure that I was able to open other anti-malware programs. I also wanted to make sure that I could scan my computer for anything but nothing came up, so I unistalled Avast because I am used to using Malwarebytes.

Thanks for the Fixlog report.  The run did as intended.   Tell me, please, How is the system now overall?

And are you able to now start Malwarebytes?

If yes, please do a Threat scan with Malwarebytes, and when done, attach a copy of the scan-run log.

Cheers,

I'm unable to open Malwarebytes. The Malwarebytes service will run but the program will not open.

Hi,

I regret to hear that news.  Lets have you run our special Malwarebytes Anti-rootkit tool  ( MBAR).

Read all instructions at this next link  & then do the run, as outlined.

After downloading the exe and running it in administrator mode, I followed the instructions in the article and Malwarebytes will now open. When I try to run a scan, however, I get an error message (1st image). Also after running the mbar-1.10.3.1001-nr.exe I also got an error message (2nd image). After pressing OK the program ran fine.

MB ERROR.png

error.png

You wrote that you did manage to run the MBAR tool.   Glad to know that.  I very much want to see a pair of logs from the MBAR run

please attach the following logs  to your next reply. These logs are located in the mbar folder on your desktop where the tool extracted itself to.

mbar-log-2019-04-xx  (xx-xx-xx).txt** (where xx-xx(xx-xx-xx) is the date and time of the scan)
+ also
system-log.txt

Now do a new scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1156

Please attach a copy of the new Threat scan report.

Cheers,

Hi,

Thanks for the MBAR logs.   The MBAR run did do well.    I regret the situation you report with the Malwarebytes for Windows.

Q:  Did you click the button Try Again button and see if that helped?

Also, lets get a fresh report, please.

open your Downloads folder, where you already have the Support tool.

Double-click mb-support-1.3.2.588.exe to run the program

You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next

You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Click the Advanced tab
Click the Gather Logs button
A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
Please attach the file in your next reply.

Posted (edited)

Hi.  Thank you for the report.  First, Windows has got some pending file rename operations (still pending) at a Windows Restart.
So lets start by doing a Windows Restart to get those dealt with.

{ b }
We need to run a new Fixlist run.
First, please find the Fixlist.txt file on the folder Downloads.
Delete that FIXLIST.txt file

{ c }
I am sending a new custom Fix script which is going to be used by the FRSTENGLISH tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please RIGHT-click the (attached file named) FIXLIST and select SAVE AS and save it directly ( as is) in the Downloads folder

The tool named FRSTENGLISH is already on the Downloads folder.

Start the Windows Explorer (Windows 10 File Explorer) and then, open the Downloads folder.

Double click FRSTENGLISH to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

PLEASE have lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. Some machines take longer than others.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

{ d }
 Next, after the above is done, let's do what follows.

Please read all of these lines first so that it is all clear to you about our plan. I need a one time run of MBAR like listed here, please.
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit (MBAR) from here this link
and save it to your desktop.

Double click on the MBAR file and allow it to run.

•Click OK on the next screen, to allow the package to extract the contents of the file to its own folder named mbar.

•mbar.exe will launch automatically. On some systems, this may take a few extra seconds. Please be patient and wait for the program to open.

•After reading the Introduction, click 'Next' if you agree.

•On the Update Database screen, click on the 'Update' button.

•Once you see 'Success: Database was successfully updated' click on 'Next', then click the Scan button.

With some infections, you may see two messages boxes:

1.'Could not load protection driver'. Click 'OK'.
2.'Could not load DDA driver'. Click 'Yes' to this message, to allow the driver to load after a restart. Allow the computer to restart. Continue with the rest of these instructions.

•If malware is found, press the Cleanup button when the scan completes. .

{ E }

The Malwarebytes for Windows program needs a special Update run.

Start Malwarebytes.   Click the Settings button.  Click the Application tab.     Look down the list there.

Click the Install Application Updates.

Watch as it does the special Update run.   Allow it to complete.    Let me know about this part here,    The program was having a issue & failing to properly update.
Please attach the Fixlog.txt in your reply.

please also attach these logs are located in the mbar folder on your desktop where the tool extracted itself to.

mbar-log-2019-05-01  or 05-02  (xx-xx-xx).txt** (where xx-xx(xx-xx-xx) is the date and time of the scan)
+ also
system-log.txt

Keep me advised about all this.

Cheers,

fixlist.txt

Edited by Maurice Naggar

I am glad to read of this.  Thank you for the MBAR reports.

Keep watching over the next day or two.    Let me know if you need anything else.

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks