Any relationship between printer and Windows Media Player?

Clio

Recently I installed MBAE 1.13.1.60 on my Vista 32bit. I could say , it worked well until now. But whenever I power on my printer, it says "Windows Media Player is now protected". Same notification also appears when I power it off. It's a Brother printer with built-in card readers. Is that a correct behaviour?

Greetings,

While that definitely sounds odd, it could just be a matter of one of the default Windows behaviors occurring whenever a new storage device (like the card reader built into the printer) is plugged into the computer.  I believe by default that Windows Media Player is configured for several autoplay functions related to removable media/devices like looking for and importing automatically any music and video files that might be present on those storage devices, so Windows may simply be monitoring and calling for that function in Windows Media player whenever those devices are added to or removed from the PC which causes the Windows Media Player process to execute in memory, thus causing Malwarebytes to display this message since Windows Media Player is one of the default shielded applications that it will inject its anti-exploit DLL into for the purpose of monitoring for malicious exploit activity and behaviors.

In fact, I bet if you monitored Task Manager when attaching/removing your printer, that you'd see one of Windows Media Player's processes enter memory briefly each time that occurs (it will most likely start with wmp if you sort the list of processes by name).

I hope that answers your question, but if not please let us know, and if there's anything else we might assist you with please don't hesitate to post again.

Thanks

Thanks. I thought so, too. But I found it a little weird because there was no card inserted. And there was only wmpnscfg.exe file in Task Manager, as always.

But yes, when monitoring the Task Manager continuously, I was able to see wmplayer.exe which appears and disappears very quickly.

Thanks again.

Yep, that explains it, and I bet I'm right about why it launches too.  It's probably just checking to determine if there is any media on the drive(s) to add to your library and when it sees that they are empty/no data, it exits automatically, and of course since Windows Media Player is one of the default shielded applications, each time it launches Malwarebytes displays the notification about it being shielded/protected.