jaheadley

Unable to active license

Hello

When I try to active my license, I get an error: Unable to contact license server.  After I click OK, I get another error: There was a problem validating SSL Certificates.  I have tried reinstalling MBAM with the clean up tool and I have tried downgrading to an older version, but I still get these errors.  Please help.

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab
    Repair menu_arrows.png

7. Click the Gather Logs button
    Advanced_arrows.png

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    Advanced Gather Logs_arrows.png

9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Advanced Gather Logs completed_arrows.png

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

Please do the following so that we may take a look at what's going on with your Malwarebytes installation to try and troubleshoot the issue:

1. Run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Thanks

Thanks.  Are you using any kind of proxy or VPN software by any chance?  The reason I ask is because there is currently a known issue where, when any program is installed that uses the older Winsock/LSP protocol is installed (which is sometimes the case for proxy/VPN software as well as some software firewalls and some other network programs/tools) it causes Malwarebytes to be unable to reach its license and update servers.

If you aren't sure, then please do the following and I'll take a look as this tool should reveal whether any third party Winsock/LSP items are present:

Create an Autoruns Log:

Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here and save it to your desktop.

Note: If using Windows VistaWindows 7Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10 then you also need to do the following:

Right-click on Autoruns.exe and select Properties
Click on the Compatibility tab
Under Privilege Level check the box next to Run this program as an administrator
Click on Apply then click OK

• Double-click Autoruns.exe to run it.
  • Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.
  • Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and verify that the following are checked, if they are unchecked, check them:

Hide empty locations
Hide Windows entries

• Click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Scan Options... then in the Autoruns Scan Options dialog enable/check the following two options:

Verify code signatures
Check VirusTotal.com

• Once that's done click the Rescan button at the bottom of the Autoruns Scan Options dialog and this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
  • When it's finished and says Ready. on the lower left of the program window, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the file to your desktop and close Autoruns.
  • Right click on the file on your desktop that you just saved and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the ZIP folder you just created to your next reply

Thanks.  The only item I see that might be causing it would be the entries for Bonjour:

mdnsNSP Bonjour Namespace Provider (Verified) Apple Inc. c:\program files (x86)\bonjour\mdnsnsp.dll 8/31/2011 12:44 AM 0/67
mdnsNSP Bonjour Namespace Provider (Verified) Apple Inc. c:\program files\bonjour\mdnsnsp.dll 8/31/2011 12:53 AM 0/65

Please run Autoruns again and navigate to the Winsock Providers tab and uncheck the box next to each of those items and restart your system then check to see if Malwarebytes is able to update and activate properly and let us know how it goes.

Thanks

I disabled the two Bonjour entries in Autoruns, restarted the computer, and confirmed the entries were still disabled.  I installed the newest version of Malwarebytes and attempted to activate my license.  Unfortunately, I got the same two error messages.

Thanks.  You can go ahead and run Autoruns again and re-enable those two items by checking the checkbox next each one and they'll load normally the next time your start your system.

As for the continuing issue with Malwarebytes not activating, I'm not certain but I suspect either something is blocking the connection or it may be a problem with it not validating its security certificate correctly.  Either way I'll request that a member of the Support team take a look and assist.

@AdvancedSetup or @LiquidTension could one of you please take a look and assist?  Thanks

One of the Malwarebytes Support team members should be along soon to assist and hopefully get this issue resolved.  Thank you for your continued patience.  Hopefully resolving this issue won't take long.

Hello @jaheadley

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

Then reinstall Malwarebytes over the top of what you have now.

https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3

Then try to update the program and after that then try to activate it and let me know the results

Thank you

Ron

This worked great.  I clicked Fix in FRST64 and then reinstalled malwarebytes.  It immediately showed my account was active, no license key required.  I was able to update signatures and run a scan.  Thank you very much for the assistance.

Attached the logs in case they help you with further cases.

fixlist.txt

Great, glad that resolved the issue. Windows was able to find and correct some corrupted Operating System files. 

Help Secure your browsers

Please install uBlock Origin for your browsers to better protect your system

FireFox, ChromeOpera , SafariMicrosoft Edge
AdBlock for Internet Explorer

Follow-up Reading

Everything you need to know about cybercrime
10 easy ways to prevent malware infection 
Keep your data backed up

Thank you for choosing Malwarebytes

Ron