TheBrightTag Keeps Returning

AdwCleaner is finding and, presumably, cleaning TheBrightTag from my computer. However, after short periods of usage (sometimes hours; sometimes a few days), I find that my computer is again reinfected. I can usually tell because the system slows noticeably.

My Win10 PC is fully up-to-date and I generally think of myself as a safe user (I use VPN on public sites and am careful about phishing and similar attacks). Nevertheless, I cannot figure out how to completely eradicate this thing.

At @exile360 recommendation, I have downloaded and run FRST64. I am attaching logs from both FRST and ADW:

1. ADW S35 Log shows infection this morning.
  2. ADW C35 Log shows log after running AdWCleaner (no infection)
  3. FRST 1 and Addition 1 logs were run (presumably no infection)
  4. ADW S36 Log shows where TheBrightTag infection returned this afternoon (I was on a plane and mostly disconnected from the internet during the ensuing 9 hours
  5. FRST2 and Addition 2 logs were run (after detection and before cleaning...therefore infected)
  6. ADWS37 Log shows log after running ADWCleaner again (no infection)

I just ran ADWCleaner scan again and it did NOT find anything. Nevertheless, I have little confidence that my system is completely eradicated.

Thanks much for any help.

FRST 2.txt Addition 1.txt FRST 1.txt Addition 2.txt AdwCleaner[S39].txt AdwCleaner[S38].txt AdwCleaner[S37].txt AdwCleaner[C35].txt AdwCleaner[S35].txt AdwCleaner[S36].txt

• Root Admin

Hello @Moirty

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

Ron

In the 1 hour since I posted the previous message (and completed the ADWCleaner repair), TheBrightTag has returned to my system!

In that time I did the following: 

•  Yammer, Skype Bus and MS-Teams are running on my system. I responded to MS-Teams messages.
  •  I ran the following programs: Word, Acrobat Reader, Quicken, Excel
  • Opened Edge and browsed to a single website
  • I browsed and copied a number of files using Windows 10 File Manager

UGH!🤬

• Root Admin

That was the Scan log for AdwCleaner. Do you have the Clean log?

Please try adding an Ad Blocker

Help Secure your browsers

Please install uBlock Origin for your browsers to better protect your system

FireFox, ChromeOpera , SafariMicrosoft Edge
AdBlock for Internet Explorer

• Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks