vitamin

PUP.Optional.MySearchDial - What is it?

It keeps on detecting the same things pup.optional.mysearchdial. There is 5 of them that show up.

I forgot to say, I have my google sync on.

I have attached the MalwareBytes support tool report.

mbst-grab-results.zip

I actually found a way for it not to come back. You have to go here https://chrome.google.com/sync then reset google sync, logout of your chrome, and uninstall and reinstall chrome. You will lose all the settings and stuff but It looks like it won't come back.

I lost everything. Just write down the URL of the websites, and redo your bookmarks over. That's the only way i saw.

9 hours ago, TwinHeadedEagle said:

I need you to do it one more time, but make sure to follow the instructions exactly as I tell you.

1. Let Chrome stay open.

2. Run MalwareBytes and make a scan. When mysearchdial is detected quarantine it. Do not open Chrome, MalwareBytes should close it doing a quarantine process.

3. Run Chrome analyzer script after a scan making sure you do not open chrome and attach analysis.txt

Thanks!

Sorry for the delay @TwinHeadedEagle...I was on a flight. 

Attached is the analysis.txt file after following steps 1 thru 3 above.  

-Paul

analysis.txt

Thanks guys. That was enough info for now.

You can try to fix it by resetting you sync. Go to this link: https://chrome.google.com/sync

You should click reset sync there. Then uninstall and install Chrome again and log in into your google account.

You can export bookmarks before doing it, just click Shift + Ctrl + O on your keyboard and click on three dots in to top right corner. There is an option Export bookmarks.

On 4/13/2019 at 1:04 AM, TwinHeadedEagle said:

Thanks guys. That was enough info for now.

You can try to fix it by resetting you sync. Go to this link: https://chrome.google.com/sync

You should click reset sync there. Then uninstall and install Chrome again and log in into your google account.

You can export bookmarks before doing it, just click Shift + Ctrl + O on your keyboard and click on three dots in to top right corner. There is an option Export bookmarks.

So in the end, this isn't dangerous for the machine, correct?

Also, for anyone who syncs, bookmarks should re-populate if they were also selected to sync.

Thanks for looking into this @TwinHeadedEagle.

I rebuilt my PC a week or so ago and have also been asked to quarantine these files whenever I start my PC. If it's nonthreatening can you please remove the alert? If not, how can I prevent it occurring? Thanks

It is getting synced back from your Google account. We're working on a fix. At the moment you can clear your sync and it won't come back anymore after removal.

I recently started seeing this pup. I dont believe it is as benign as it is believed. It seems to be a means to collect and send data back. Maywarebytes has blocked some outbound connections related to this and i recently have started having issues with an email address that they keep changing my password on. Its the only email address i have that does not support 2factor but its from my cable provider so if i want to be able to do anything with that account online i need that email. Kinda annoying. Has any other headway been made on this? I see the pup getting quarantined but it does not seem to remove the root issue.

I have run into the same issue.  I have followed instructions as listed above and am attaching my analysis file.  I get the same PUP.Optional.MySearchDial file found every day.  

analysis.txt