Posted (edited)

Yes, and it would also be nice if they'd stop allowing websites to display pages/pop-ups without the default controls accessible to resize/move and especially close the browser because of pop-ups/pop-over dialogs that won't allow you to click behind/past them.  It's a bad design and I see no legitimate reason for it.  If they require functionality that will display a dialog on top of a page/browser no matter what, then that's fine, but access to the main 'close' button for the webpage still must remain accessible because having a close button on the pop-up (which they can easily re-open as soon as it is clicked) is insufficient.  I know that these things can be done because I have seen other legitimate websites do them, all without preventing normal access to the address bar and main window controls that would make dismissing these scam sites completely trivial.

These browser vendors are so concerned with security that they're starting to prevent legitimate security vendors from injecting necessary DLLs into their processes to provide proper monitoring and protection, yet they can't modify the basic functions they wrote into their own browsers from easily being used to scam and terrify innocent users trying to browse the web who might not know how to easily terminate their browser's process in such cases, and these automatic recovery of webpages after the browser is closed 'abnormally' (the reason it reopens to the bad site is because it was killed via Task Manager rather than closed using the normal method; a 'feature' the bad guys absolutely cherish, I assure you) is ridiculous, especially since more often than not, even on legit sites, a browser is closed that way because it crashed due to buggy code on the page and reopening the browser to the same page only causes the bug/crash to repeat which can also lead to an unnecessary loop of bad behavior.  It's made worse when the situation is due to the user terminating the page deliberately to get away from one of these scam sites only to have the browser do them the disservice of relaunching the same scam page the very next time the browser opens.

Hopefully Microsoft will learn from these poor practices in developing their own offshoot of the Chromium browser, but only time will tell.  At least with IE when the browser is reopened after such a crash it displays a toolbar pop-up first with buttons allowing the user to decide whether to recover the page rather than just defaulting to revisiting the last site.  The other browsers can be configured to do something similar, but out of the box they just restore it automatically which is a real problem, at least in my opinion.

Edited by exile360

Again, thanks for all the replies. This all gets back to my original question of why Malwarebytes didn't stop this. I fully understand why now. I switched both my PC's to use the new Chromium based Edge (Dev version) and added the Malwarebytes extension from the Google store. So far it's working great and I would have to agree with some articles I've read in PC magazines that this may truly give Chrome a run it's money. It's fast. I like the screen display and it can use any extension Chrome can use. With safe web browsing practices and the new MB extension I feel pretty comfortable right now. I've been building my own PC's for over 15 years now and have only encountered this "tech web scam" twice. Once on my PC (about 4 years ago) and this occurrence on my wife's PC. I've been running Norton since sometime in the 90's and MB Pro for the last 2 years and have never had a virus or any other "infection" problem. With safe browsing practices being the #1 priority and the mutiple layers of protection I've installed, I feel pretty comfortable right now. I also use Macrium Reflect for backups and keep a good image on both an internal HD and a detachable USB drive that is away from the PC when not in use. It's been tested on doing a restore and it also works great so I know I can always go back a few days or so before if any disaster strikes.

Thanks again for all the good answers in this thread.

The Ravicente link showed in Post #3 above opens to these scareware  links.
Beware: I offer them for information only. Clicking any of these links will take over your browser!

"Facebook Official Support"   jaruesne.fun/4124/call-now2/index.php

"Facebook Office Support" jaruesne.fun/4124/call-now2

"Official Support Centre"   jaruesne.fun/4124/

Centre spelled with British spelling.

There's another suspicious Ravicente.live post on Maklasnow 's  facebook page, one about a missing toddler.

Thanks so much, Exile. I couldn't find this last night. I" reported" my own post above with the malicious links and will put them in the correct area.

Posted (edited)

The information was in my reply in Post #2 which explains and provides examples of various FakeAlert web sites.

On 4/1/2019 at 3:43 PM, David H. Lipman said:

Malwarebytes and Norton AV did not block the site because they did not know the site.  You can help by submitting the FakeAlert web site to Malwarebytes in;  Newest IP or URL Threats  after reading;  READ ME: Purpose of this forum   This way the site can be blocked and others would not fall prey to it.

The reason why Code Tags are used is to make fully qualified URLs dysfunctional and non-clickable.  In other words make them not live links.

When one removes the URI of HTTP:// or HTTPS://  and only displays the Domain and path, this also has the same effect of making it a non-clickable link.  The purpose of which is to protect Forum thread readers from accidentally loading a malicious link.

The other way to use Code Tags, which is easier, is use the Code Tag function from the Forum Editor Toolbar.  It is easier because one does not have to worry about messing up the syntax of manually using Code Tags.

1664647990_CodeTagonToolBar.jpg.c2a0bb07d5102bd64bf3bfaaf7206dde.jpg

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for content, clarity, spelling and grammar

Thanks so much. I think...I get it now.  The links I captured a screen shot of are different. I'm a little fearful to try again because I've made so many mistakes.

Let me just post this for consideration.

Let's get real. If you're not backing up your data and you're still using Google Chrome then you're just not serious about Privacy, Safety, and protecting your data. Malwarebytes is a fantastic program but you still need to back up your data and you still need to block scripts and Ads in your browser. 
If you're still using Google Chrome I would highly suggest you consider using Firefox instead. For more advanced users you might consider installing NoScript as well (it does have a higher learning curve though)

Help Secure your browsers

Please install uBlock Origin for your browsers to better protect your system

FireFox, ChromeOpera , SafariMicrosoft Edge
AdBlock for Internet Explorer
How to use uBlock Origin to protect your online privacy and security | uBlock Origin tutorial 2018

This video tutorial above explains how to use uBlock Origin in advanced user mode and all the advanced settings to protect your online privacy and help prevent unwanted sites from changing your browser settings

Follow-up Reading

Everything you need to know about cybercrime
10 easy ways to prevent malware infection 
Keep your data backed up

Thank you for choosing Malwarebytes and tell your friends and family too. We're here to help.

Ron