Right click and scan form context menu not working

So only about an hour ago I ran into a problem with Malwarebytes.  I downloaded a freeware game from a trusted site (game DF, site DFFD), right clicked, selected scan with MWBs, and keyed away as I waited a few minutes for the scan to finish.  When I came back, the scan had not run and MWBs hadn't even opened.  I got "unable to connect to server" and then began to kill all MWB processes I could, attempting to delete MWBs for a clean install.  The problem is remarkably similar to the one this guy in another subdivision of the forum is having:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/245044-malwarebytes-not-responding-unable-to-connect-the-service/?tab=comments#comment-1305991

And one some folks a while back (a few years) mentioned.  The older link, of which I will try and find, allowed me to solve it with MWB chameleon.  Restart of my computer, MWBs will now open from the desktop shortcut, all looks great. 

Except I still can't do what I want to do in the first place: right click>scan with MWBs  I can do it with Windows Defender, which frankly feels wrong.  I don't recall any major system changes I've made, besides fiddling around to get VS and Unity working for a project, a week ago.  Back then, to the best of my memory, this feature was working.  I either don't have a good enough idea of what I'm looking for, or this is a more unique issue, which might explain why there isn't much info online.

OS is Windows 10.  Help greatly appreciated.  

mbst-grab-results.zip

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab
    Repair menu_arrows.png

7. Click the Gather Logs button
    Advanced_arrows.png

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    Advanced Gather Logs_arrows.png

9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Advanced Gather Logs completed_arrows.png

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

It looks like a recent install failed to complete and that's likely why it isn't working:

Pending File Rename Operations
==================================
C:\Users\Jack\AppData\Local\Temp\_iu14D2N.tmp                                       
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll                        
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware        

To correct the issue, please restart your system and then do the following:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall Malwarebytes, either by allowing the tool to do so when it offers to on restart, or by downloading and installing the latest version from here

Once that's done try using the right-click context menu scan function again to see if it is now operational or not.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

Excellent, I'm glad we could help.  Yes, with PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) they aren't necessarily malicious, so if it's a program that you use and wish to keep you can have Malwarebytes ignore it if you want.  To do so, the easiest way is usually to perform a scan with Malwarebytes and once it finishes, click the checkbox at the top of the list of results to clear all of the checkboxes next to all of the detections then click Next and when prompted on what to do with the remaining detections, select the option to always ignore them and they will be added to your exclusions so that they are no longer detected by scans or real-time protection.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the process.  While I'm only dealing with the free version, I've had a few hits like this is the past.  Fortunately, the hit was on a program I've never seen, which it had flagged as a trojan, and there is a mystery on the forums concerning if it's a false alarm or not.  Better safe than sorry.  

Cheers sir, and God bless.