Issues with MalwareBytes Freezing during "Scan Startup Files" Step?

I've downloaded Malwarebytes after noticing some issues with my computer's ability to detect windows Updates (Windows 7) and uninstall certain programs.

Currently, MalwareBytes detects no threats, but also can't finish the "Scan Startup Files" step unless I am in Safe Mode.

Per the other threads of people with similar problems, I've run Farbar and attached my FRST.txt and Addition.txt

Could this be malware related, or could something else be freezing MalwareBytes while scanning startup files?

FRST.txt Addition.txt

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab
    Repair menu_arrows.png

7. Click the Gather Logs button
    Advanced_arrows.png

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    Advanced Gather Logs_arrows.png

9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Advanced Gather Logs completed_arrows.png

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

• Root Admin

Hello @Pathen and :welcome:

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

Ron

Hi Ron,

Per request, I booted FRST64, added the fixlist to the same folder as FRST, FRST.txt, and Addition.txt.

Windows gave me a warning that an unauthorized change was made to my computer, and the FarBar recovery Scan tool appears frozen for the last 10+ minutes at the "Creating Restore Point. This can take a few minutes, please wait..." stage.

The rest of the machine seems fine, but Malwarebytes itself is still stuck at "Scan Startup Files" and the Farbar Recovery Scan tool seems entirely unresponsive.

Heya! Thanks again for the quick reply. Very cool that you guys are this responsive. Definitely wish I had invested in Malwarebytes sooner.

To check in after 20m per request--  After the initial error/warning from Windows, I can't find anything in Windows Defender that would suggest Farbar is being blocked. it did eventually move past the Restore point stage, and it now has been lingering at "Fixing in progress, please wait..."

FarBar is again responsive, and from my task manager I can see that a chkdisk is in progress (albeit only using 1720k). I will try to let this run over night (with Malwarebytes is still locked up mid scan in the background, if that's ok?)

I'll post back again when the scan finishes, or if it hasn't finished by tomorrow.

Hello again,

After checking this morning, it looks like the status is unchanged. Farbar still says "Fixing in Progress..." but seems to be idling, with a chckdisk process sitting in the task manager but not using any cpu.

Malwarebytes is still running and stuck in mid scan on "Scan Startup Files". Should I restart or close any processes? (Either way, I'll leave things running until this evening when I have more time to work on this.)

I have restarted the computer- unfortunately the system seemed to not want to shut down. After waiting for awhile, I was forced to do a hard reset.

After the hard reset the computer restarted normally. I am seeing a "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library" error that says:

"Program: C...

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."

Closing this prompts no further errors, but it looks like the Checkdisk did not run.

What steps would you recommend I take next? Should I attempt to re-run the fixlist?

• Root Admin

I'm going to be on the road here soon but will be back online in a few hours. After you remove Malwarebytes please let me know how the computer is running and get me new logs from FRST

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Ron

I have removed Malwarebytes - no observed change.

I'm still unable to shut the computer down cleanly (it hangs indefinitely at an update prep), scan for new updates with Windows update, or uninstall certain programs.

Upon restart, I still see the Runtime Error warning. Otherwise the machine appears to be working fine.

Attached are the FRST files run after Malwarebytes was removed from the system.

FRST.txt Addition.txt

• Root Admin

Please uninstall the following software from Control Panel, Programs, Add/Remove at least temporarily

Bonjour
Java 8 Update 25
Zemana AntiMalware

Once the above has been removed please run the following.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

Then post back that log.

Then we'll need to look at fixing your VSS as shown below.

Your Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) is having errors and the system is unable to create System Restore Points. This needs to get fixed otherwise if you have a big failure you probably won't be able to recover using System Restore.

Please try the following software to see if it can find and fix the issue.

VssDiag: Volume Shadow Copy Service Diagnostics Freeware

http://backupchain.com/en/vssdiag/

You can also try this one from Acronis if the other one does not work.

Please download and run the following  Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) Diagnostic Tool from Acronis

Acronis VSS Doctor

Free tool for diagnosing and repairing Volume Shadow Copy Service issues. Download link on the bottom of the page.
Download - Acronis VSS Doctor

In many cases, it can correct the issues on its own. If not, then it will give details on what may be causing the issues. Please save the report in text format and post back that log on your next reply.

You can also try the tool from Macrium Reflect if the Acronis tool did not work.

Macrium Reflect Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) Repair Tool

Once you've run the repair tool you need to restart your computer.
Then check your Event Logs to see if the error was corrected. You can post new logs from FRST which will also show the Event Log entries 

If you don't have System Restore enabled then please take this time to enable it. If possible choose 10% of your C drive to store Restore Points.

Ron

Just as a status update -- I'm having trouble uninstalling Bonjour. I've experimented with doing a clean boot and found that the shutdown issues stop when the system is operating without any additional startups.

I'll be able to poke at this more tomorrow- I think I'll be able to uninstall Bonjour after the clean boot and can then try the fixlist.

• Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this topic. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks