Bad lagging on 2 games

noknojon

Hi - I have been having very bad "lagging" problems with 2 installed games that get a fair bit of use lately - (Wife and Kids love them) - :rolleyes:

They are Bejeweled 2 Deluxe (fully installed from CD) and Cue Club pool / snooker game (fully installed from D/load) - With Bejeweled it seems that the flash player ?? or similar is very unstable at times even though flash player is always updated, and the screen drivers are checked at a regular interval - The screen 'hesitates' and 'shudders' during 'high volume' action - It will not stop but it shows the problems mentioned -

With Cue Club Ijust get occasional minor hesitations during the game, and you can shoot a ball and miss it's track for a split second - The other problem that occurs with Cue Club is that after a game is finished and I exit, the screen icons all end up messed up (usually on the top and left side of screen) - Next to MBAM and other anti virus program icons that remain in their same places -

I can just do a system restore on this, or replace manually but it is getting annoying - :lol:

XP SP3 - 768 Meg memory - 70% free space - Regular MBAM and S A S scans also Avira and Spybot S & D (no tea timer) and AdAware Anniversary Edition -

Regular Defrag and clean downloaded history - IE 8 and F/fox browsers -

Games have been here a while and deleted then reinstalled to check them - Cue Club now on CD as well -

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What CPU and video card do you have installed? Also, what driver version are you using (ie if it's NVIDIA, it'll be Forceware version x and if it's ATI it'll be Catalyst version x)?

You might also install the latest DirectX from here as it might also be helpful.

You should also try a clean install of Flash Player by running the uninstaller from here and installing the latest version again:

• Root Admin

Not sure if this will or not but it a general post about checking on things that might be slowing down the computer.

Computer and browser slowness are not always malware related

Poor performance and other problems can be the result of disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, not enough RAM, dirty hardware, etc. As your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential.

Listed below are a few things you can do to improve speed and system performance. Many of the these suggestions will apply if you're using Windows Vista but may be done a bit differently. Near the bottom of this thread there is a section specifically devoted to Vista Users.

For browser problems, see:

If your having connectivity issues or errors such as Page cannot be displayed see

If you're using Vista or Internet Explorer 7, see

If you have a lot of toolbars and add-ons attached to Internet Explorer, you could try improving performance by disabling those which are unecessary. See:

WOW - Thank you AdvancedSetup :lol: This is about 10 times more than I had hoped for -

After I read all this , I must get back to the forum after a day or 2 - I looked at a few topics briefly and there is one heck of a lot there - :rolleyes:

Exile 360 will copy this to post it elsewhere and I hope he does - It is full of Good information for all - Even though some is basic (C CLeaner etc )

Thanks again - Read on Exile 360

:rolleyes: , yeah, that's a lot of info. It's all pretty basic stuff, but most of the info should be read by every PC user to keep their computer running smooth :lol: .

You never answered my questions though (see my first post above). It will help to diagnose the cause of the problem, that is if doing all that other stuff AdvancedSetup posted doesn't fix it of course.

Good read is good for the mind and what exile360 said. :rolleyes:

Also, whats the make and model number of your computer, I see you have only 768 mb memory(1x512mb and 1x256mb = 768mb) is this correct. If you have the option to add more memory/ do so, this may help in the lagging problem. When was the last time you cleaned the inside of your computer.

How to Clean your Computer:

http://www.computerhope.com/cleaning.htm

• Root Admin

I did not write up this article and I'm not sure who did originally. I just found it a while back and have posted it a couple times. I probably need to review the article and verify that its up to date and clean it up if not and then post it in the PC forum.

So shout outs to whomever took the time to create this article in the first place.

:lol: , yeah, that's a lot of info. It's all pretty basic stuff, but most of the info should be read by every PC user to keep their computer running smooth :P .

You never answered my questions though (see my first post above). It will help to diagnose the cause of the problem, that is if doing all that other stuff AdvancedSetup posted doesn't fix it of course.

Sorry, but Ron hit in with all that while I was looking - (Pentium 4 /CeleronD) Not sure of Vid card -Just woke up - Will try to find out - :rolleyes:

Video appears to be SiS 661 FX - ?? That is what is listed -

I did not write up this article and I'm not sure who did originally. I just found it a while back and have posted it a couple times. I probably need to review the article and verify that its up to date and clean it up if not and then post it in the PC forum.

So shout outs to whomever took the time to create this article in the first place.

It is VERY good basics and at times a bit past basic (still relates to IE 7 - Most will have 8 ) Thanks again - :rolleyes:

@ sho-dan

Thanks a lot of good (some basic again) but it wants me to purchase programs (will skip that bit) But rest is good general info that we all forget :rolleyes:

What programs are you talking about ? hmmm the google ads, basic is all thats needed to start with and the easiest to remember. :lol:

@ sho-dan

Sorry but I did miss the last bit on your answer - The computer is "labeled" Samsung (most likely just assembly) - :lol:

You are right about the memory (computer shows 900mb ??) -Last clean was 2? weeks ago (thread in Hon Memb area when I reassembled fan after clean) -

Asking Mrs for cash to at least get another 512 mem card or is 1gig too big to replace the 256 stick - I need a few more part time jobs yet - (semi retired and on pension) - :P

Motherboard is ASUS with Pentium 4 processor - Documentation says it will support up to 2Gig - :rolleyes:

You need to look at your computer's documentation to see how much memory each slot will handle. My personal experience is that 1.5 gig of ram total works very well with XP. Some games are very demanding on video capability. If your machine is relatively low end (integrated motherboard video with shared video memory), you may just be out of luck.

@ calintexas

Thanks - I was more wondering if there would be any conflicts if I changed the 250 stick to a 1Gig - According to my manual it takes up to 1Gig in each -

If there seems to not be anyone that thinks a 750 jump causes any conflict then that is my ultimate aim - No need to change the 512 stick - :rolleyes:

@ yardbird

My manual only lists Kingston brand up to 512mb - After that there is only the one listing for 1Gig is -Brand /Micron - Vendor/Twinmos - :rolleyes:

Not sure about my listing of Vid card to exile360 above - Look right to you ??-

a One GB stick from http://www.provantage.com/ (make is kingston) is online for $20.00 DDR2 (if I'm looking at the right ram.) exile360 would do better at finding you the correct one. for the pc you have.....good luck with that....

Looks like you've got a SiS integrated video card which is pretty basic, but there's not much you can do about that. You can certainly upgrade your Ram to 1Gb and that would help things.

First though: Have you ever been able to run those games on this computer without any lag? If so, then the hardware isn't the place to start. We can check drivers and startup programs to improve performance:

Once you uninstall your old SiS software, install that one to see if it helps any.

After that Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here.

• Save Autoruns.exe to your desktop and double-click it to run it.
  • Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.
  • Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures
  • Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
  • When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.
  • Now right-click on the Autoruns.arn file located on your desktop and highlight Sent To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Please attach the Autoruns.zip file you just created to your next post.

I'll take a look and see if there's any unnecessary startups we can get rid of.

a One GB stick from http://www.provantage.com/ (make is kingston) is online for $20.00 DDR2 (if I'm looking at the right ram.) exile360 would do better at finding you the correct one. for the pc you have.....good luck with that....

In Australia lists as about $23-$26 various makes (exchange rates I suppose ) for DDR - Plus shipping -

Thanks exile360 - Did not notice you back as I was looking at catalogs from yardbird -

You recommend uninstall not just updates like I have been doing - Updated last week - :rolleyes:

Was not game to fully uninstall, I was only doing updates this week on drivers -

But YOU have speken - Do Not Defile the Big Red X --- (Sorry - My joke) - :lol:

Still some lag on one of the games - Bejeweled - It explodes balls - That uses lots of power -

You recommend uninstall not just updates like I have been doing

Yeah, with drivers I always recommend removing the old ones first, rebooting, then installing the latest.

Do Not Defile the Big Red X
:rolleyes:
Still some lag on one of the games - Bejeweled - It explodes balls - That uses lots of power

Yeah, some of the visual effects in that game can actually be a bit intense for some systems. It's still possible we can improve things though. Ram might certainly help, but I always prefer to try the options that don't cost money first :lol: .