Jump to content

scans and system slow down new package update


Recommended Posts

There's been a new package update and now the scans takes more time than before, normally a scheduled scan use to take for me 14 min or 15 max but today more than 30 min and also i've notice a slow down on my system, also i've recently updated avast and there's a new process that it increases the memory taken during scans and i think this may be the cause, here i give you logs and scan logs, also picture of the new avast process

Sin título.png

mbst-grab-results.zip scan new.txt scan old.txt

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

 

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab
    Repair menu_arrows.png
     
  7. Click the Gather Logs button
    Advanced_arrows.png
     
  8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    Advanced Gather Logs_arrows.png
     
  9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Advanced Gather Logs completed_arrows.png
     
  10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:
 

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b
 

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

 

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

  • Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Staff

Greetings,

It may help to configure exclusions between Avast and Malwarebytes as this can often improve performance when running two apps in real-time.  Please exclude the items listed in this support article from Avast's real-time protection and exclude Avast's program folder (either located under C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86)) as well as its data folder likely located under C:\ProgramData using the Exclude a File or Folder method described in this support article and using the Select Folder... function.

Once that's done, check to see if the two applications get along better now by seeing how the system performs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, exile360 said:

Greetings,

It may help to configure exclusions between Avast and Malwarebytes as this can often improve performance when running two apps in real-time.  Please exclude the items listed in this support article from Avast's real-time protection and exclude Avast's program folder (either located under C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86)) as well as its data folder likely located under C:\ProgramData using the Exclude a File or Folder method described in this support article and using the Select Folder... function.

Once that's done, check to see if the two applications get along better now by seeing how the system performs.

I have the mbam intems in avast exclusions but i dont have the avast folders in mbam exlcusions, i will do it and see today if the scan works better

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Staff

Sounds good.  One more thing I thought of that has helped me in the past to improve my scan times would be to clear out your Malwarebytes logs.  They tend to build up rather substantially over time, especially if you do a lot of regular scans on top of the logs that get created daily if you're running the Premium version and I've seen clearing them out after several months actually shave minutes off my scan times in the past.  Clearing out your temp files with a tool like CCleaner or the built in Windows Disk Cleanup tool may also prove helpful.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also with exclusions for both still taking more time than before. Before, a manual scan witch should have priority tooks for me 9 minutes, now almost 18 minutes. I will see how much time takes a scheduled scan today but before scheduled scans use to take for me max 15 mins, i will see today. Don't know how to clear out mbam logs sorry

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Staff

Hi @Xauma95,

In the recent Components Package update, we made some changes to our false-positive prevention logic that may cause an increase in scan completion time. Specifically, this involves additional online checks to one of our false-positive prevention servers.

We're currently investigating this increase in scan completion time. I'll respond back shortly with further information.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, LiquidTension said:

Hi @Xauma95,

In the recent Components Package update, we made some changes to our false-positive prevention logic that may cause an increase in scan completion time. Specifically, this involves additional online checks to one of our false-positive prevention servers.

We're currently investigating this increase in scan completion time. I'll respond back shortly with further information.

Thanks for the info, tell me if you need logs or anything that can help the team. I will be waiting for your rensponse

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Staff

You can actually test to determine if that is the cause by disconnecting the system from the web then performing your scan and see how long it takes.  If it is closer to the shorter scan times you had before the update then that is the issue, but if they still take just as long then that is unlikely to be the cause.

I suspect LiquidTension is correct though, because it does make sense.  Still worth testing in my opinion though just to eliminate any other possibilities.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Staff

Yes, please try an offline (disconnect from the Internet) scan.

We also made a recent change that increased the recursive scanning depth of certain folders/hotspots on the system. It's possible this is having an impact - especially if temporary file locations have not been cleared in a long time.

Could you also try running Disk Cleanup and check if this has any impact.

Link to post
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, LiquidTension said:

Yes, please try an offline (disconnect from the Internet) scan.

We also made a recent change that increased the recursive scanning depth of certain folders/hotspots on the system. It's possible this is having an impact - especially if temporary file locations have not been cleared in a long time.

Could you also try running Disk Cleanup and check if this has any impact.

For my temporary file location I often use CCleaner, don't know if it is like disk cleanup

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Staff
2 hours ago, Xauma95 said:

For my temporary file location I often use CCleaner, don't know if it is like disk cleanup

CCleaner is better geared towards third-party applications (browsers, etc). It does contain some system-related options, but I don't believe it covers everything related to Disk Cleanup. There's no harm in running both applications, providing you only stick to the temporary file cleanup aspect of CCleaner.

Edited by LiquidTension
Link to post
Share on other sites

Today a scheduled scan tooks for me 23 minuts instead of 32 minuts on sunday and yesterday i remember it tooks 20 minuts so i think it has improve not that much but still and improvement. I will try offline scan on my free time during work and see how it goes

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin

Hello @Xauma95

The log file you posted did not include the FRST logs. Can you please run the following and post back the logs as an attachment.

 

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

  • Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

 

Thank you

Ron

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LiquidTension said:

That's quite alright. Thanks for letting us know.

I've tested offline and took only 1 minut less than online but i've notice that now with the last update it scans more files so it could be what you said about the depth of the scan

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Staff
3 minutes ago, Xauma95 said:

I've tested offline and took only 1 minut less than online but i've notice that now with the last update it scans more files so it could be what you said about the depth of the scan

Thanks for the information.

Out of interest, do you have a lot of files/folders within the following path? %userprofile%\desktop

Edited by LiquidTension
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, LiquidTension said:

Thank you for confirming.

At this point, I believe it's clear why you've seen an increase in scan time. We're monitoring the scanning depth changes made recently and may make further adjustments in the future.

 is it because of my desktop folder, right?. It is huge

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Staff
17 minutes ago, Xauma95 said:

 is it because of my desktop folder, right?. It is huge

This was one of the paths involved in the recursive scanning depth change, so it is likely a significant factor. To verify, you could temporarily configure a folder exclusion in Malwarebytes for %userprofile%\Desktop and check what impact this has. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
Back to top
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.