Malwarebytes vs virus protection

Reading the article on this topic today, I kept looking for the answer regarding whether or not one should have both but never saw that addressed.  I purchased eset nod as recommended by micro center and when I had to bring my computer back to micro center for servicing, they said I needed malwarebytes too.  So I have both and if I don’t need both, i’d like to know please.

Thanks 

1 minute ago, Yespat said:

Reading the article on this topic today, I kept looking for the answer regarding whether or not one should have both but never saw that addressed.  I purchased eset nod as recommended by micro center and when I had to bring my computer back to micro center for servicing, they said I needed malwarebytes too.  So I have both and if I don’t need both, i’d like to know please.

Thanks 

I would keep both unless you have Win 10. If so I would not use ESET and just use Defender with Malwarebytes Premium but that is my opinion and experience.

You may also find the information in this FAQ entry to be helpful.  Basically Malwarebytes is an antivirus replacement, meaning that an AV is not a requirement when running Malwarebytes, however if you prefer to use an AV alongside it then that's fine as well (including Windows Defender as suggested by Porthos above) as Malwarebytes has always been and continues to be engineered to coexist with other active protection applications including traditional antivirus programs.

You're welcome.  You might also find the information on this page to be of interest.  It breaks down the various layers of protection in Malwarebytes Premium and how they work to protect your system from online threats.  You may notice that they avoid any sort of 'on-access' scanning/detection (i.e. when a file is simply saved on disk, accessed by another program or accessed by the user without running it/executing it); this is one of the key ways Malwarebytes avoids conflicts with AVs like Windows Defender since Malwarebytes only analyzes an item before and after the on-access/file creation phase thus giving the AV a chance to analyze the item and determine if they see it as a threat before Malwarebytes goes into action to make its own assessment of the object (and of course this assumes that access to the item's server where it is being hosted was allowed by Malwarebytes Web Protection component and that it wasn't a payload of a malicious exploit as Malwarebytes does target those earlier stages that precede the actual payload delivery on disk, often thwarting such attacks before they even start and before there is any malicious file to detect).