"This app can’t run on your PC" Win 10 64-bit

I am trying to install AdwCleaner 7.2.7

I can download it, but when I try to install it, I get the following message: “Windows protected your PC. Windows Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk.”

I give it the ok to run the program anyway and get the following message:

“This app can’t run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher.”

Here's what I've done:

• I downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit and ran it. No problems found.
  • Reboot.
  • Same problem.
  • I downloaded Malwarebytes 3 and ran it. It found a bunch of PUPs and quarantined them.
  • Reboot.
  • Same problem.
  • I downloaded another version of AdwCleaner and tried to install that.
  • Same problem.
  • Re-ran Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit and Malwarebytes 3.
  • Reboot.
  • Same problem
  • Downloaded and ran Farbar Recovery Scan Tool. Results are attached.

I am running Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1803. I checked it for updates. All set.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the AdwCleaner Help forum.

Someone will reply shortly, but in the meantime here are a few resources which may help resolve your issue:

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

I've no problems downloading or running it on Win10 64-bit, 1809, 17763.316 here.

I suspect it may be just the Windows Security Centre.
Check in particular the App & browser control (where the SmartScreen settings are) for any blocks.

Or you could try disabling SmartScreen altogether, see Solution 2 in this article:
https://windowsreport.com/app-cant-run-windows-10/

Sometimes SmartScreen can try to be too smart, it can be a particular problem with Anti-malware products that need to access deeper levels of the OS.

Edited by nukecad

Hi @Promethea,

Did you reboot after disabling SmartScreen? If not, please reboot the computer, check that smart screen is disabled ("Off" option selected) and then try to run AdwCleaner. If the problem persist, follow these steps:

1. Remove any previously downloaded AdwCleaner file and download the latest AdwCleaner version from https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

2. If there's any antimalware software running on the computer, please disable it and run AdwCleaner. Don't forget to enable it again.

3. If you still get the error, start windows in safe mode and run AdwCleaner. To start windows in safe mode, follow the steps described here, under the "From settings" section.

Let us now if this solved the issue.

Thanks!