Web protection crashes PLEX Transcoder

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab
    Repair menu_arrows.png

7. Click the Gather Logs button
    Advanced_arrows.png

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    Advanced Gather Logs_arrows.png

9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Advanced Gather Logs completed_arrows.png

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

My killer network drivers are the newest version (9.0.0.48), as i said i rum the latest drivers and versions for the components listed, in fact i just recently updated them and assume the problem could also have been introduced because of that. And yes, i set the exclusion as shown, just to make sure i tried it again after exile's reply to this post.

I have updated the Killer network drivers with a clean install as described here: https://support.killernetworking.com/knowledge-base/clean-install-killer-control-center/ and am now running 9.0.0.49 of the driver. Plex Transcoder.exe is added to malwarebytes exclusions through Exclude an Application that Connects to the Internet and is listed as "Application Web Process".

The error persists.

47 minutes ago, xenonmb said:

. Plex Transcoder.exe is added to malwarebytes exclusions through Exclude an Application that Connects to the Internet and is listed as "Application Web Process".

Did you do all of these as well individually? just a thought. I personally have not got on the Plex bandwagon yet.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Plex Media Server.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\PlexScriptHost.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Plex Tuner Service.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Plex Update Service.exe

Thanks a lot for the suggestion! This did, in fact seem to work, but it got weird from there:

I added all of the programs seperately, and transcoded a whole movie without an error, then, to double-check, I removed the exceptions again, and it is now still working.

I also tried dis- and re-enabling web-protection and restarting MWB as a whole to maybe reload/refresh the exceptions, but it is nw still working and the transcoder doesn't crash anymore.... I am confused..

It's likely due to the DNS cache; once it gets cleared (possibly after a reboot, or just after sufficient time has passed and other connections have been made through browsing the web etc., and definitely if you run the flushdns command or use a temp clearing such as CCleaner which is known to flush the DNS cache) the blocks will probably return, but hopefully I am wrong.

Either way, at least now we have a viable solution if it should return and I'll be documenting this issue for the Product team so that they may investigate and attempt to replicate it so that the Developers may hopefully find a fix in Malwarebytes to eliminate the need for these exclusions in the future.

Please don't hesitate to post again if any new info comes to light in your use case, and feel free to let us know if there is anything else we might assist you with.

Thanks

Edited by exile360