System Restore Blocked

Greetings,

It's probably self-protection preventing the file from being replaced.  To see, open Malwarebytes and navigate to Settings>Protection and toggle the Enable self-protection module setting to Off under Startup Options then restart your system and see if the issue still occurs.

Additionally, you may delete the mbam-setup.exe file if needed as that's just the installer for the most recently downloaded/installed version so as long as you've already updated Malwarebytes to the latest build, you don't need to keep that installer around as it serves no purpose.  The latest version of Malwarebytes is 3.7.1.

Please let us know if that resolves the issue or not.

Thanks

Thanks Exile,

I've already followed those directions and am having trouble with a missing file  (mbam-setup.exe). I don't even have the complete path that System Restore is requiring. I do have the path "C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService" but no other folder under the "C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes" folder. Is it possible to rebuild the correct folder and mbam-setup.exe file?

I'm in a real bind here and need to find some way to do a system restore.

Thanks again

Normally there shouldn't be a file called mbam-setup.exe in that folder.  If a new version/installer is downloaded by the software it is normally stored under C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\instlrupdate, however you should be able to recreate all of Malwarebytes' files and paths by reinstalling it if you are able by downloading and installing the current build from here, and once it is installed, just restart the system and run a scan by opening Malwarebytes and clicking Scan Now on the Dashboard (that way it is certain to update and create all of its data folders) and hopefully that will correct the problem.

If it doesn't then I'm not sure, but if System Restore is able to proceed even with that file/path missing, then that's what I'd do if you really need to restore the system.  Even if it messes up your Malwarebytes installation, you can always download/install the latest build of Malwarebytes afterwards and it should repair any issues that the incomplete System Restore may have caused.