Context Menu Missing

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Temujin said:

I am beginning to regret buying this licence,this was one of the main reasons i purchased it,to be able to quickly scan a file/folder.

Remember, There are some file types MB does not scan or detect. Do not just rely on the MB right-click scan. Malwarebytes strength is in the other 3 shields that are part of the Premium. 

I use this to "right-click scan" single files on demand. https://www.virustotal.com/en/documentation/desktop-applications/windows-uploader

Edited by Porthos

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Remember, There are some file types MB does not scan or detect. Do not just rely on the MB right-click scan. Malwarebytes strength is in the other 3 shields. 

I use this to "right-click scan" single files on demand. https://www.virustotal.com/en/documentation/desktop-applications/windows-uploader

Yes i also use Virustotal along with Superantispyware right click scan method, and was hoping to be able to use Malwarebytes.

Regards

5 minutes ago, Temujin said:

I have just gone back to the previous version after uninstalling and using their remove tool,and the right click scan is working fine.

Regards

Really temped to do this.

I used their support tool to repair Malwarebytes which in the end done a complete clean removal, saved my key to the desktop and reinstalled - the .dll still does not exist and the right click options are not there.

1 minute ago, Nate-Dogg said:

Really temped to do this.

I used their support tool to repair Malwarebytes which in the end done a complete clean removal, saved my key to the desktop and reinstalled - the .dll still does not exist and the right click options are not there.

Maybe just revert until this bug is fixed.

3 minutes ago, Temujin said:

Or i could send you a copy of the mbshlext.dll and you can place it in folder,would that work ?

If it's the .dll from the previous version (hash below) I did briefly try adding this to my program files (pulled it from a backup of my PC), but due to permission it was proving to be a pain - oddly couldn't even take ownership of the Anti-Malware folder.

Algorithm - Hash - Path:

MD5 -  5265576F992AF1DE32D79B8570F95922 - mbshlext.dll

Yeah, I think there's an issue with the installer for the latest build.  For whatever reason it just isn't working like it should on some systems so for now reverting to the previous release would be a good idea.

As for the permissions issue, that's likely due to the self-protection driver in Malwarebytes.  It won't let you mess with any of its processes, folders or files.  You'll have to disable it if it's active before you can try replacing anything.

I uploaded the reg file to WeTransfer.com here and you should be able to access it from there.  I still think it's worth a shot though you may need to disable self-protection to merge it into your registry.

14 hours ago, Porthos said:

Remember, There are some file types MB does not scan or detect. Do not just rely on the MB right-click scan. Malwarebytes strength is in the other 3 shields that are part of the Premium. 

I've downloaded the Virus Total thing and will try it later.

The registry hack was applied without problems, but made no difference even after a reboot..

I'm about to give up on this - it's more bother than it's worth.

Regards

Cheemag

6 minutes ago, Jeemag said:

I've downloaded the Virus Total thing and will try it later.

The registry hack was applied without problems, but made no difference even after a reboot..

I'm about to give up on this - it's more bother than it's worth.

I may install v3.6..1 which is the latest version I have in storage - when I get the time (after cleaning the present version).

Otherwise I'll just give up on MWB.

Cheemag

6 minutes ago, Jeemag said:

Well that's no good, I was really hoping that would work.  You mentioned trying to install the file itself manually earlier.  If you still want to try that you can download the latest installer for Malwarebytes and use innounp which is an extractor for Inno Setup installers like the one used by Malwarebytes and then grab the 64 bit version of the shell extension DLL and rename it if necessary and put it into your Malwarebytes program folder (be sure to disable Self-Protection in Malwarebytes first, otherwise you won't be able to copy the file there) and hopefully that will fix it.

If it doesn't then the only thing I can suggest given the situation and your need for the context menu scanning capability would be to install the last version prior to 3.7.1 assuming it still works and await the fix for this issue, which will hopefully be forthcoming.

In the meantime, just to expand on what was mentioned earlier regarding filetypes not scanned by Malwarebytes, they are non-executable files such as MS Office documents, PDFs, media files like images, audio and videos, however the Exploit Protection component in particular, along with the other protection components take care of those types of files should they contain any kind of exploit (the Exploit Protection component is by far the most proactive protection component in Malwarebytes as it targets behavior and hardens the system and targeted applications to guard against exploit attacks which occur very early in the attack chain, generally long before any actual malware payload/executable is downloaded to the system or executed in memory).

Hi everyone,

There's no need to revert to a previous version of Malwarebytes. The cause of this issue is installer upgrades (e.g. 3.6.1 -> 3.7.1).

Please use the Malwarebytes Support Tool to perform a clean reinstallation of Malwarebytes. Steps on how to do this can be found here:
https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2674

As mentioned previously, we are investigating this issue and will provide an update shortly.

Edited by LiquidTension

6 hours ago, LiquidTension said:

Hi everyone,

There's no need to revert to a previous version of Malwarebytes. The cause of this issue is installer upgrades (e.g. 3.6.1 -> 3.7.1).

Please use the Malwarebytes Support Tool to perform a clean reinstallation of Malwarebytes. Steps on how to do this can be found here:
https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2674

As mentioned previously, we are investigating this issue and will provide an update shortly.

ETA on a fix?

I have no intention of using the "Clean" option, literally just on the 3.6.1 update I need to do the clean option and it completed F'd my license, to the point where Malwarebytes wouldn't accept it. I'm not going through that hassle again.

I already used the "Repair" option within the support tool which completely removed my MBWAM and reinstalled it, since it downloaded the installer itself the issue is not just related to upgrading.

19 hours ago, Nate-Dogg said:

ETA on a fix?

I have no intention of using the "Clean" option, literally just on the 3.6.1 update I need to do the clean option and it completed F'd my license, to the point where Malwarebytes wouldn't accept it. I'm not going through that hassle again.

I already used the "Repair" option within the support tool which completely removed my MBWAM and reinstalled it, since it downloaded the installer itself the issue is not just related to upgrading.

No ETA currently. An update will be provided as soon as possible.

When was the repair with the Malwarebytes Support Tool performed? Was this before or after you provided the mbst-grab-results.zip in post #21?

3 hours ago, LiquidTension said:

No ETA currently. An update will be provided as soon as possible.

When was the repair with the Malwarebytes Support Tool performed? Was this before or after you provided the mbst-grab-results.zip in post #21?

Hi Liquid,

Thanks for the reply.

Those logs were provided before I attempted the "Repair" option within the support tool. If you need me to provide additional logs then please let me know.

Kind regards,

Nathan

2 hours ago, Nate-Dogg said:

Hi Liquid,

Thanks for the reply.

Those logs were provided before I attempted the "Repair" option within the support tool. If you need me to provide additional logs then please let me know.

Kind regards,

Nathan

Okay, I didn't realise I was able to self register my license even though it wasn't purchased directly through Malwarebytes' website - Now I have set up an activated an account I should hopefully not have a license problem this time around should I use the "Clean" option.

For anyone else who might see this post and purchased a license from elsewhere, check out this article: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2722

Just to be clear to everyone in the topic - in some situations, it is currently expected to not see the "Scan with Malwarebytes" context menu item immediately after performing an installer upgrade. We're aware of this issue. A reboot should restore the context menu item back.

For the few users reporting that a reboot does not restore the context menu item - this is something we are actively investigating further to determine the cause.

-----

@Nate-Dogg Thank you for the information.

To help us investigate the missing context menu item after a reboot, we'd appreciate the following data:

• Restart the computer: Click the Windows Start button > Power button > Restart.
  • Ensure Restart is clicked and not Shut down.
  • After the restart, open Malwarebytes, click Settings and verify the Windows Context Menus setting is turned on.
  • Also verify that the "Scan with Malwarebytes" context menu item is still missing when right-clicking a file.
  • Return to the Malwarebytes Settings window. Scroll down to Event Log Data and turn the setting on.
  • Right-click the Malwarebytes icon in your notification area/system tray and click Quit Malwarebytes.

MgeHyNE.png Run Process Monitor

• Please download run_procmon.bat using the link below.
    https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/he92cwwd71sa0w7waiub8wx69ymb5d4i
  • Open your Downloads folder.
  • Double-click CX41PDv.png run_procmon.bat. Click Yes if prompted by AVOiBNU.jpg User Account Control.
  • Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info followed by Run anyway.
  • A blue window will appear.
  • When prompted to carry out the tasks, please do the following:
    • Open Malwarebytes by double-clicking the Desktop shortcut.
  • When the Malwarebytes user interface is open, click inside the Command Prompt window and press Y on your keyboard followed by Enter.
  • Upon completion, a file named HSPwQfy.png procmon-log.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  • Note: If the file is too large, you will be provided instructions to upload the file to a file hosting website (wetransfer.com).

After carrying out the steps above, please verify that the "Scan with Malwarebytes" context menu item is still missing when right-clicking a file.

Afterwards, please rerun the Malwarebytes Support. Click Advanced followed by Gather Logs and attach the newly generated mbst-grab-results.zip (found on your Desktop).

I want to state that I reported the context menu anomaly back in v3.61.

I just tested what LiquidTension purported.

I did an in situ upgrade and I lost the Context Menu Scan with Malwarebytes.

I rebooted the PC and the Context Menu Scan with Malwarebytes was now present.

Edited by David H. Lipman

1 hour ago, LiquidTension said:

-Snip-

Evening @LiquidTension

Since completion of your instructions I have since turned off the "Event Log Data".

I have attached my support logs and here is a link to my procmon logs (https://we.tl/t-yDwlWqxgBU).

I do have feedback on this script - For whatever reason, the script saved the logs in the wrong location, my desktop is not located on my C:\ drive, yet that is where the logs ended up upon completion. The Malwarebytes support tool did save the logs in the correct location so they actually appeared on my desktop - I must say that I changed this around 4 years ago, this is the first time I have ever had something not appear on the desktop when it should have.

Kind regards,

Nathan

mbst-grab-results.zip