Malwarebytes Settings Tab

I'm working on a computer right now that I was going to put Malwarebytes on but found that it was already on the computer! It is a Vista, if that helps! It's my parents computer (I don't live at home anymore) and it also doesn't' seem to currently have an AV on it, at least not an active one, which I am working on. I have downloaded Avira on a flash drive to install on it. They only have dial-up, so that's why I downloaded everything onto a thumb drive that I thought that I would need. The last AV it had was Norton/Symantec (LiveUpdate) 3.2.

I will be here for approximately another 3 hours, and then not again until next week sometime. They dont' really know much about computers or safety, which is why I am doing this for them :huh:

I was looking around at the program and in the settings tab (which I actually haven't paid too much attention to on my computer but I will next time I am at it!) and I wanted to know which settings I should always have checked off for scanning.

Under General Settings, there is a group of 4 settings and then a group of another 3 settings.

Terminate IE during removal (not checked)

Automatically save and display logfile (checked)

Anonymously report statistics (checked)

Create Right.click menu to scan files (checked)

Always Scan memory objects (not checked)

Always scan registry objects (checked)

Always scan file system (not checked)

Always scan extra and hueristics objects (checked)

My question is, what should be checked?

Also, is there a way to confirm that this is a genuine copy of Malwarebytes? I am almost certain it is but I just want to confirm it. It looks the same as my copy at home, so I am sure it is. I had been afraid that I might need a re-named copy, so this morning I downloaded version 1.4 (before 1.41 was released) onto a thumb and renamed it winlogon.exe but then I found that it was already on the computer, so I guess I don't need to run that one now. This current version is 1.38, so I'll update it asap.

@ Hardhead

Thank you for your prompt response! :huh:

So its best to check them all then? I'll go with the expert advice to not check off terminate IE though :lol:

Thanks for the link :)

You think I should download a new version then instead of updating internally from 1.38 to 1.41? Just because of the fact that this computer is on dial up and the possible trojan factor (see below) I was thinking I should just update internally from 1.38 to 1.41.

Should I run mbam clean inbetween if I do uninstall and then download a new version?

My concern is that I think there might be some sort of a trojan hanging around on the system; that's why I was looking at it in the first place (well I had been meaning to anyway because I knew the AV was outdated but this gave me the kick in the butt I needed to look at it. I don't get down here often).

I don't know what or if it is so I was afraid that I might need a renamed mbam, which is why I downloaded 1.4 this morning and named it winlogon and put it on a flashdrive.

Also, one more thing Under the Check for Updates button, it says

Latest News

Select 'Check for Updates' for Latest News.

Is that normal?

You think I should download a new version then instead of updating internally from 1.38 to 1.41? Just because of the fact that this computer is on dial up and the possible trojan factor (see below) I was thinking I should just update internally

from 1.38 to 1.41.

You can but you stated that you downloaded 1.40 this morning. So you shouldn't have version 1.38.

I don't know what or if it is so I was afraid that I might need a renamed mbam, which is why I downloaded 1.4 this morning and named it winlogon and put it on a flashdrive.

Winlogon is a windows/system32 file, so you would need to rename it or download the new 1.4.1 version. If the system is heavily infected then Malwarebytes may not run no matter even if you rename it.

Latest News

Is that normal?

That may be normal for that 1.38 version since its an old one but I cannot verify that.

mountaintree16, why are all your replys in Quotes?

@ Hardhead

Thank you for your prompt response!

So its best to check them all then? I'll go with the expert advice to not check off terminate IE though

Thanks for the link

You think I should download a new version then instead of updating internally from 1.38 to 1.41? Just because of the fact that this computer is on dial up and the possible trojan factor (see below) I was thinking I should just update internally from 1.38 to 1.41.

Should I run mbam clean inbetween if I do uninstall and then download a new version?

My concern is that I think there might be some sort of a trojan hanging around on the system; that's why I was looking at it in the first place (well I had been meaning to anyway because I knew the AV was outdated but this gave me the kick in the butt I needed to look at it. I don't get down here often).

Latest News

Is that normal?

• Root Admin

Don't use the ADDreply - use the REPLY which does not quote.

Or just when you do reply delete everything in the reply box and post in what you want to ay. :huh:

Quoting every reply makes it more difficult to read and fills the forum with un-needed data in the underlying database.