Brianwc

m.novelcamp.net pop up s

Hi @Mahadev,

Lets try another approach.  There are some on the Reddit forum stating they are finding hidden files in there Downloads directory.  Lets see if happen to have any of these.

1. Apps > Downloads
  2. Press three dots in upper right & then press Show internal storage (this option may or may not exist)
  3. Look for files that begin with .com.google.Chrome.<random characters>

Let me know if these exist,

Nathan

Hi, everyone! I also faced the same problem (but at certain point I got too angry with this pop-ups and did a factory reset - that seems to help, at least now I get NO stupid pop-ups). However I'd really love to know what caused that problem and to know the solution for future (just in case). And may be I just can be helpful with sharing my experience.

I can say that I never had Videoder, never had any Youtube downloaders, never had any 3rd party apps, never had SwiftKey Keyboard, that was mentioned before, and had no hidden files in Downloads.

The method with clearing Chrome cache and etc never helped me.

Thinking about some past events, it seems to me that these pop-ups started to appear in my phone after I tried some photo editors (PicsArt Photo Studio, Airbush, Nebi, Facetune and, I guess, one or two more, but I don't remember the names). I liked none of them and uninstalled in 5 minutes. I am not sure if these things are connected, but still.

13 minutes ago, mbam_mtbr said:

Hi @Mahadev,

Lets try another approach.  There are some on the Reddit forum stating they are finding hidden files in there Downloads directory.  Lets see if happen to have any of these.

1. Apps > Downloads
  2. Press three dots in upper right & then press Show internal storage (this option may or may not exist)

Nathan

No app starts with .com

Thanks for the info @aniytik.

@Mahadev there is also a big relation with Google PLAY in all of this.  Perhaps try clearing the cache of Google PLAY?

It almost seems like a very, very deep javascript redirect not dependent on a browser.  Clearing cache has helped people, but what exact cache needs to be cleared is big question.

I'll keep on looking for answers,

Nathan

I cleared cache of google play Before 2-4 days ago. 

Clearing it again.

Will update soon.

By the way, I also tried force stop + clearing cache and etc of ALL Google Apps and deleting all updates of Google Play and Chrome. That gave no result.
Optimisation and crealing tools in my phone also didn't help.
I tried to search for .js , .json and just .com files - and found nothing.

@Mahadev,

Another idea.  It could be tied to the Google Launcher.  It will be listed in our apps simply as Google.  It's worth clearing its cache as well.

Nathan

Went to playstore to update facebook soon I u did that chrome opened from closed with appsquare

updates:

1. I've uninstalled Videoder and haven't had a redirect yet, approx. 36 hours.

2. I don't seem to have anything as mentioned above in internal storage.

https://piunikaweb.com/2019/02/23/our-analysis-on-annoying-chrome-ad-popups-on-samsung-phones/        check this out lots of info on the Problem malwarebytes us mentioned 

3 hours ago, Mahadev said:

I have already uninstalled tubemate. But just now when i updated a app in play store. After update this link opened automatically in chrome.

https://m.novelcamp.net/?p=4A6B1E8774E25418B002835535545B52&amp;geo=IN&amp;sv=518&amp;gaid=41eb1092-0dae-4314-bac3-5234a5df32ae&amp;pbl=9E55C7D7B3524808BCD13C1FFF9B1FB0&amp;sn=etap_5.1.8&amp;flow=0&amp;utm_source=201&amp;url=m.novelcamp.net

Above link opens after redirect of this link looks like in this photo. I m unable to trace this link shown in photo. One time i stopped internet when this link opened. After search in my google this link looks like this. But it cannot be copied.

IMG_20190223_190329.jpg

https://piunikaweb.com/2019/02/23/our-analysis-on-annoying-chrome-ad-popups-on-samsung-phones/  look at this discussion 

10 hours ago, mbam_mtbr said:

1. Apps > Downloads

Nathan

Bonjour

S'agit-il de ceci ?

Screenshot_20190224-013211.jpg

HI @77Vero,

It could be.  I did more research into .com.google.Chrome.xxx, and it appears those are typically just incomplete download files.  However, it'd be worth taking a look if there was anyway you could move it to your PC, zip it up, and send it my way for analysis.

Thanks!

Nathan

Hey @Brianwc & Everyone,

Although Videoder definitely has ties to Batmobi (which ties to m.novelcamp.net, appsquare, etc), I'm somehow not surprised it didn't quite do the trick.  My guess is the infection came from the use Videoder, Snaptube, Tubemate, etc more easily because they all have browsers, but isn't the only path to infection.  This might explain way there was a correlation with many, but not all.  

This has so many traits of being Adware coming from a bad app, but perhaps it really is just a javascript redirect.  One that found a way to be hidden in system file.  I still believe there is a cache clearing that will fix this, I just need to figure out which.

Nathan

@mbam_mtbr
Thank you for the update!
I tried my best to remember and recognize my deleted photo apps that I tend to accuse in getting this Adware. In my previous list I forgot to mention two apps from InShot Inc. - Photo Editor and Photo Editor Lumii . And one more from Pavaha Lab - Bokeh Camera Effects . I am absolutely NOT sure they have some connection with this isssue. But I decided to mention it for "just in case" reason. 

Has anyone tried clearing the cache for Goolge PLAY Services? This is separate from the Google PLAY app.

Nathan

@mbam_mtbr
I've tried clearing the cache for Goolge PLAY Services.

As well as for Chrome, Google, Google Play Market, Google Disk, Google Docs, Google Keep, Google Maps, Google Presentations, Google Spreadsheet, Google Photo, Google Music, Google Movies and YouTube.

This is going to sound crazy, but the only app that all the App Reports I have been shared with me is Google Text-to-speech Engine.  Maybe try disabling?  I'm running out of ideas here other than suggesting a factory reset with clearing the partition cache.

Nathan

1 hour ago, mbam_mtbr said:

This is going to sound crazy, but the only app that all the App Reports I have been shared with me is Google Text-to-speech Engine Maybe try disabling?  I'm running out of ideas here other than suggesting a factory reset with clearing the partition cache.

Nathan

I'll add some more madness, sorry - I've never had the app mentioned above.

And just a suggestion - may this issue be connected not with the installed, but recently uninstalled (during 2-3 months) apps? Can it be a kind of harmfull leftover afer their uninstallation?
After the factory reset I installed the same set of apps that I used to have all the time and during my struggle with those pop-ups. And now everything is fine. The problem has gone. No more pop-ups.

How about these screenshots of system launcher traffic tracked from lumen app.

I blocked system launcher internet yesterday .after that i have not get any link redirection till yet. May in future  it be happened. How about these domain shown in screenshots.

I have on miui system launcher.

Screenshot_2019-02-25-22-08-01-750_edu.berkeley.icsi.haystack.png

Screenshot_2019-02-25-22-07-55-793_edu.berkeley.icsi.haystack.png

Screenshot_2019-02-25-22-07-20-044_edu.berkeley.icsi.haystack.png