LiquidTension

Malwarebytes 3.7 - Help Malwarebytes Find Bugs

mbst-grab-results.zip

I am running Windows 7 Home edition 64 bit, see attached pic. I sometimes a pop up window in the bottom right of my screen from MalwareBytes, saying if you see this window more than once then come to this forum and report it, using the tools to get the information I sent last time. I do not have a screen shot of the pop up window. If it happens again I will get one. It has happened about 4 times so far.

There doesn't seem to be any problems running the software. Just keep getting this pop up.

screenshot.jpg

Here is mine

On another topic:

Have you seen "freeze" issue on Win 7 64bit with MB version 3.7.1.2839 component Ver 1.0.538?  Last few days I have been experiencing random freezes

mbst-grab-results.zip

Two pop-ups that I can recall seeing.

Note: if you run the tool under a non-admin account (and pass the UAC challenge) then the zipfile ends up on the Admin desktop, not the one you started under. It took me a couple of minutes to figure this out and relocate the file; some may find this behavior confusing. Just a heads-up.

mbst-grab-results.zip

On 2/5/2019 at 5:02 PM, LiquidTension said:

Hello Malwarebytes 3.7 Beta community!

If you see the Malwarebytes message depicted below more than once, please let us know by responding to this forum topic.

For those that see the message multiple times, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool by carrying out steps 4 and 5 in the topic linked below:
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/190532-having-problems-using-malwarebytes-please-follow-these-steps/

image.png.bb6c252d820996dbea6ec67343c85e9b.png

Thank you so very much to everyone who participates in our Beta programs. Your feedback is invaluable.

I see this dialogue box most days. So maybe 4 or 5 times recently

11 hours ago, kladner said:

I posted this elsewhere (I think,) on the forum. I am having no obvious problems. I am just responding to the pop-up.

mbst-grab-results.zip

This morning I found the message displayed (system runs full time,) When I dismissed the pop-up, there was a "Scan completed" box under it. I then ran a manual scan, but it completed without the pop-up showing up. New results attached.

mbst-grab-results.zip

Once again, I have never regarded this as a problem 

Sorry but Participating in this forum is

Several times my feedback has been regarded as spam

14 hours ago, BrianInWA said:

Two pop-ups that I can recall seeing.

Note: if you run the tool under a non-admin account (and pass the UAC challenge) then the zipfile ends up on the Admin desktop, not the one you started under. It took me a couple of minutes to figure this out and relocate the file; some may find this behavior confusing. Just a heads-up.

mbst-grab-results.zip

Thanks for that!  For a PC security company it's strange that they expect everybody to be running an Admin account as a matter of course.  I've had issues before with this and pointed it out to them without acknowledgement.  I can now submit my file ☺️

22 minutes ago, RussellR said:

Thanks for that!  For a PC security company it's strange that they expect everybody to be running an Admin account as a matter of course.  I've had issues before with this and pointed it out to them without acknowledgement.  I can now submit my file ☺️

While I can't speak for Malwarebytes, I can say that based on what I've learned on the subject over the years that ever since the implementation of UAC in Windows Vista, the vast majority of malware, exploits and attacks are designed to run under local user credentials/permissions in order to bypass any UAC blocks/prompts, thus negating any security that would be gained by running under a true limited/standard user account and that the protection provided by UAC in modern operating systems (any Windows version newer than XP) is the same as or better than the protection provided by running under a limited/standard user account, at least as long as UAC is not disabled by the user.  This is one of the reasons I was actually a big fan of Windows Vista because it was a huge leap forward in security compared to XP.

That said, most diagnostic tools should run fine under limited user accounts, however some will require admin permissions to read data from privileged/protected locations, although I do believe that they did say that they plan to improve compatibility of the support tool with limited user accounts.