OrangeSour

3.7.1 Update - "Personal Computer" vs "Home Computer"?

What is the "Personal" vs "Work" computer distinction about in the 3.7.1 installer? Thanks! 

Thanks for asking, OrangeSour!

This is a new screen added to the installer that some users have been seeing since our 3.6.1 release.  Now we're rolling it out to all existing users as part of the 3.7.1 upgrade.

It's pretty self-explanatory.  :)  Let us know where you're using Malwarebytes -- either on a personal or home computer or on a work computer / in a business environment.

There are no major differences in underlying functionality at all.  The only difference is if you choose Work computer you'll see information about some of our available business products that may be a better fit for you.  That's the extent of it.  

11 minutes ago, bdubrow said:

This is a new screen added to the installer that some users have been seeing since our 3.6.1 release.  Now we're rolling it out to all existing users as part of the 3.7.1 upgrade.

It's pretty self-explanatory.  :)  Let us know where you're using Malwarebytes -- either on a personal or home computer or on a work computer / in a business environment.

There are no major differences in underlying functionality at all.  The only difference is if you choose Work computer you'll see information about some of our available business products that may be a better fit for you.  That's the extent of it.  

Got it - I didn't know if there was some distinction in functionality (say, I'm on a domain, or running Win Enterprise, etc).

So which should I choose.

My PCs are at home but set up in some ways like office computers, with office type file and printer sharing rather than a homegroup but they're not on a domain.

The difference is a Home Use and being a Business.  @bdg2 you are a Home User (aka; retail ) and not a business.

Edited by David H. Lipman

On 2/7/2019 at 5:46 AM, bdubrow said:

I found this thread after posting somewhere else.

If it literally is just a difference in which add-on product suggestions are periodically made and nothing functional can I suggest that you make it a bit more fun and meaningful?

image.png.304de26b42c8c22ededeff1dc9c86201.png

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be sure to pass them along to the Product team for consideration :) 

Based on the above, I'm going to just select "Home".

Thanks to everyone for the feedback, comments and suggestions!

So in order to help you target your advertising towards people who have purchased the product already we need to answer a question that provides no value to the customer.  The product is supposed to help with unnecessary intrusions not add new marketing ones to us.

Would prefer that the question be removed or at the very least qualified/clarified during the installation so that it's possible to understand why it's being asked and the implications of the answer.

2 hours ago, techguyca said:

understand why it's being asked and the implications of the answer.

I will chime in on this. Malwarebytes Premium is for HOME users BUT it can be used for businesses up to 10 computers (More than 10 computers requires a business version). So when the honest (not knowing about business offerings) user chooses "business use" it guides them to the products licensed for business use.

Yes, I agree the wording on the choices could be changed.

From The EULA,

Notwithstanding the second sentence of this Section 2(a), if you have a business with no more than 10 total Devices, you may use Malwarebytes for Home Software in your business for business purposes provided that your usage shall be governed by the terms and conditions of this Agreement applicable to Malwarebytes for Business users and not the terms and conditions applicable to Home users. (“Small Business Exception”). If you use the Small Business Exception, references to Malwarebytes for Business shall be read as governing your usage of the Software.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/eula/

Edited by Porthos

FWIW I also think this screen should be modified or removed.

At the very least it needs a "what does this mean?" button to save the 10 - 15 mins of searching to understand that it is has no functional implications and that a Premium Licence can be installed for either "home" or "work".

On 2/6/2019 at 11:46 AM, bdubrow said:

No, it's not 'self-explanatory'... otherwise people wouldn't be asking what this is about. 

We just received update notices after re-enabling 'application updates' after the Windows 7 'freeze/hang' fiasco from Dec-Feb.

Many of us use our computers to work from home and/or run a small buiness; thus a machine may serve in one, the other, or both capacities.  Considering the manner in which MB subscriptions are renewed and charged, some users have legimate concerns about being over-charged (upon automated renewal) if they select 'Work Computer'.  At the same time, you stated "there are no -major- differences..."  Well, what are the minor differences?  It's not self-explanatory with two simple buttons, and yet no text, no explanation, nor any feature lists.

Furthermore, I use an Enterprise version of Windows in our home-based law office.  So again, what are the "additional functionalities" with the 'work computer' selection?

Frankly, we don't want a bunch of 'push' marketing at our law office.  Is that the only feature of selecting  'Work Computer' ?

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the great feedback, Lava! We've been monitoring the response and the comments on this thread are helpful. The team is already working on a revised experience here and will certainly take all the feedback into account.

1 hour ago, LAVA said:

Many of us use our computers to work from home and/or run a small buiness; thus a machine may serve in one, the other, or both capacities.  Considering the manner in which MB subscriptions are renewed and charged, some users have legimate concerns about being over-charged (upon automated renewal) if they select 'Work Computer'. 

The terms of your subscription dictate the terms of your renewal. We would not automatically switch you to a completely different product out of the blue, nor would that be possible legally. But more importantly, that is not who we're about as a company -- we'd just never operate that way. We try our best to be transparent so folks trust us. :)

1 hour ago, LAVA said:

Well, what are the minor differences? 

Here are the list of current differences if you choose "Work":

1. You'll see a different dashboard status message when you're running the Free version of Malwarebytes 3. This dashboard just lets you know that we have a full line of corporate / enterprise products that may be a better fit for you. 
  2. The Windows title bar in Free mode says "Malwarebytes Business 3.1.7" (or applicable version number)
  3. The title of the program in blue header at top of main dashboard says "Malwarebytes Business" instead of "Malwarebytes Premium".
  4. Currently upon install you are not automatically dropped into a Trial like you would be if you chose Home.  But that will be changing shortly so behavior is consistent again between the two options.
  5. If you upgrade from any of the Upgrade Now links in the Free or Trial version, you will be presented with our business products for purchase.
  6. There is decreased promotional messaging in this version currently, as that is primarily directed at home users (e.g. special offers for Black Friday, etc.).
1 hour ago, LAVA said:

Furthermore, I use an Enterprise version of Windows in our home-based law office.  So again, what are the "additional functionalities" with the 'work computer' selection?

Which Enterprise version do you have?  Our Enterprise products include Endpoint Protection, Endpoint Security or Endpoint Protection and Response.  None of those products will even see this screen. This screen is only seen in the installer used for our Personal and Teams products.

1 hour ago, LAVA said:

Frankly, we don't want a bunch of 'push' marketing at our law office.  Is that the only feature of selecting  'Work Computer' ?

See #6 above. Right now you'd actually see LESS of this type of marketing if you chose Work Computer. :) We are trying to better tailor the experience to who's actually using the product. We know that businesses use our home product and we also know that many of them don't even realize we have business products available.  So we're looking at different ways to provide the best experience based on how and where you're using the product AND to make sure you have the best product to fit your needs.

Edited by bdubrow

51 minutes ago, bdubrow said:

Currently upon install you are not automatically dropped into a Trial like you would be if you chose Home.  But that will be changing shortly so behavior is consistent again between the two options.

Bet if you leave it as is the free version users would choose business once they find out about by reading the forums and your"business" users would suddenly GROW. (falsely of course)  The FREE version users are always complaining about the trial after upgrades and of course on new installs. Unfourtantly, there still many that will never purchase the Premium for many reasons.

I personally have had several clients that don't want to add the price of Malwarebytes in addition to spending money on a computer repair. I support a lot of "blue collar" and "fixed income"older folks.

As I mentioned both options will be dropped into the trial upon install, assuming they have not used their trial yet.

We fully understand that not all users are going to buy. There will always be free users. We are trying to find the best way to communicate with the people who are interested in our business products.

These flows, as well as others, are also subject to change as we test and optimize. 

But bottom line is that it’s the same product installed either way and the malware scanning and remediation is exactly the same.

This is confusing, and discourages upgrades entirely. (One user waited until I could tell her which answer to give.)

The *strong* implication is that there's a licensing implication.  And please note, MB staff, that *everyone* wonders what functional difference there might be.  ("Really?  It only changes the ads you show me?  And why ARE you showing me ads after I've paid for the product, anyway?!?")

So this feature subtracts value, with its pure failure to explain either why you're asking or the implications of either answer.  That's aside from the arguably trivial value to the user.

SUGGESTION:  Gather your user data through surveys.  Avoid going all Facebook on us, trying to extract data from all the users, while squandering the trust we have in you.

Don't be Yahoo:  value the trust we have in you, and protect it.

1 hour ago, netpog said:

And why ARE you showing me ads after I've paid for the product, anyway?!?") 

There are no AD's in the activated PAID product. This is only for the FREE version or during the TRIAL.