SeaMike

False Positive Trojan ? DoubleTwist website

I have the program DoubleTwist on my PC.

For some reason I keep getting booted before I can bring up the site saying there as a Trojan on the site.  I have seen this from the past, and I have never had on from this site.

I have Malwarebytes Premium  3.6.1

Any help would be appreciated. 

Mike

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab
    Repair menu_arrows.png

7. Click the Gather Logs button
    Advanced_arrows.png

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    Advanced Gather Logs_arrows.png

9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Advanced Gather Logs completed_arrows.png

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Hello, sorry I don't know how to do what you want me to.  I hope this helps, if not let me know.

Virus or Not.jpg

Thanks for the image of the block!

We removed the block on doubletwist.com yesterday. Please ensure your Malwarebytes is up-to-date by opening the program and clicking Current as depicted below.

kBJ3yV2.gif

Let me know if you still encounter the same block afterwards.

Thanks for the update. Did you confirm Malwarebytes is up-to-date?

If you have, we'll need to collect some troubleshooting logs to investigate further. Please carry out the instructions in the forum topic linked below:
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/190532-having-problems-using-malwarebytes-please-follow-these-steps/

Upon completion, a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop. Please attach this file in a forum post.

1. Create a new topic by clicking here
  2. Provide a brief description of the issue
    • How did you encountered the issue and any steps to reproduce it - I Right Clicked on DoubleTwist to Check for Updates
    • Do you get the same result more than once if you follow the same steps? Y/N   YES
    • If the system crashed (aka blue screen of death or BSOD), please include the error message NO Blue Screen of Death
      Note: we will reach out to you if we need a full memory dump

Before you sent me this.

I shut down Malwarebytes to see if I would get a Virus from the DoubleTwist site, after I was there I scanned my PC with  Bitdefender Total Security and nothing showed up on the scan.

I hope this helps, please advise

Still Blocking.jpg

mbst-clean-results.txt

Hi Mike,

It looks like you clicked Start Repair when you ran the Malwarebytes Support Tool.

Please rerun the tool and click Advanced followed by Gather Logs. Please avoid using the Start Repair button.

It's possible that this issue is being caused by caching in the system's DNS cache.  You can either run a temp/history cleaning tool such as CCleaner or you can clear the cache manually.  To do it manually you may follow the instructions on this page for your operating system (the instructions for Windows 8 and 10 should be identical).  Once that's done, check to see if the block still comes up or not, but it shouldn't if my theory is correct.

You can also try restarting your system to see if that eliminates it as well.

Hello exile360

Thanks for the info.  How do I do this on Windows 10 64bit?

Or was it one you sent, and I just didn't understand it?

Thanks, Mike

Just do it the same way as it shows for Windows 8 and it should apply to your OS as well :)

If you have any trouble just let us know.

Before 7-8 hours i had a false positive that put it on forum, mbam updated the definitions but it continued to block the site.

The false positive has no connection with this false positive but your solution worked.

My restart of PC didn't solve it only the cache clear.

Thanx @exile360

Excellent, I'm glad that it worked for you and that I was able to help :) 

It's just a common problem with the way that DNS caching works.  Basically, to try and speed up your internet browsing, Windows will cache the routes to websites you have connected to in the past so that it doesn't have to look them up again (websites are looked up using DNS, or Domain Name Service which translates domain names/URLs to their physical IP addresses; i.e. the numeric address of the server that the website you are connecting to is hosted on.  For example, www.malwarebytes.com uses the IP address 23.49.12.71 so whenever you try to connect to malwarebytes.com, Windows checks the DNS cache to get the IP, but if you've already connected to the site recently its address will be stored in the DNS cache so that Windows doesn't have to look it up to find out the IP again and instead just goes directly to 23.49.12.71 which allows you to get to the website faster, however whenever a website is blocked by Malwarebytes it gets redirected to the block URL/IP used by the Web Protection component in Malwarebytes (located at block.malwarebytes.com) and so even though you had excluded the website from Malwarebytes' Web Protection, the DNS cache was telling Windows that the server it should be connected to is the one where block.malwarebytes.com is located rather than the actual IP address of the website you were trying to reach.

Clearing out the DNS cache solves the problem because it forces Windows to look up the DNS/IP address again from scratch, and since Malwarebytes is no longer blocking it, you are now able to connect to it properly :).