Jump to content
Soozy

Newest Windows 10 Insider (18323) has turned off Protections

Recommended Posts

I got 2 logs because I ran into the same problem ch3mn3y - it wasn't actually on my desktop.

The first log is 35 MB, the second is over 100MB.  I'm including the second one as it was off a reboot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TekGamer said:

 

@LiquidTension More Info on which file I found the license in ... In my mbst-grab-results.zip there is a Setup Logs folder which contains a file named "Setup Log 2019-01-26 #003.txt" and on line #4 it has my license key in unencrypted form... Here is the contents of that file with the key replaced with ####-####-####-####. 

Could it be in there because I tried to use mb-support-1.3.1.553.exe "repair" function?

 

 

11 hours ago, LiquidTension said:

Yes, it's related to use of MB-Clean DLL that's utilised by Malwarebytes Support Tool Repair.

I had a feeling it was something along those lines.  The use of the .DLL and the appended string for the unattended setup caught the key in the Setup log.  Not cool.

11 hours ago, LiquidTension said:

Thank you to everyone who has provided feedback on this issue. We're investigating the cause and will provide further details shortly. Please keep in mind that with this issue affecting a beta Operating System, issues are to be expected.

It would help if troubleshooting logs could be provided. Please refer to the following topic:
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/190532-having-problems-using-malwarebytes-please-follow-these-steps/

In addition, a Process Monitor log would also be helpful. Please refer to the steps below.

MgeHyNE.png Run Process Monitor

  • Quit Malwarebytes by right-clicking the Malwarebytes notification area icon (next to the clock) and clicking Quit Malwarebytes.
  • Please download run_procmon.bat using the link below.
    https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/he92cwwd71sa0w7waiub8wx69ymb5d4i
  • Open your Downloads folder.
  • Double-click CX41PDv.png run_procmon.bat. Click Yes if prompted by AVOiBNU.jpg User Account Control.
  • Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info followed by Run anyway.
  • A black Command Prompt window will appear.
  • When prompted to carry out the tasks, please do the following:
    • Try to launch Malwarebytes and wait for the DDA Driver error.
    • Don't click Yes to restart.
  • Once done, click inside the Command Prompt window and press Y on your keyboard followed by Enter.
  • Upon completion, a file named HSPwQfy.png procmon-log.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  • Note: If the file is too large, you will be provided instructions to upload the file to a file hosting website (wetransfer.com).

I'd like to make a suggestion about the batch file - for files larger than 20 MB, I get the instructions, but the first time I clicked to have wetransfer open the batch file exited, thereby removing the instructions on how to send the file.

Can you maybe add another pause (and / or prompt asking the user if he has successfully sent the file) before exiting out of the instructions (assuming you continue to use this batch file for other purposes, which it seems like you do)?

After rebooting I ran it again, it gave me a whopping 100 MB file (I think because I also opened Firefox while the PM was running, trying to get ahead of the batch file).  This time I copied the instruction and pasted them to a notepad window so I could read them and complete them correctly....

6 hours ago, Erix said:

Ladies and gentlemen,

We are aware of this problem and have been looking into it with the help of Microsoft.

The issue is in fact isolated to  build 18323, we know it relates to the SetupAPI,

there is a change in there from 18317 that is either a bug or intentional 

we will not address this in our code base until we know which one it is (bug or intentional) and if it will be permanent.

It is worth reminding our community that while noticeable problems with our software running on Windows Preview builds do not show up often, we cannot support these early samples (especially the fast ring ones) because they involve a significant number of changes that are not permanent. We do however, greatly appreciate the fact that you work with us so closely and are right there on point every step of the way as we develop your product.

Thank you so much,

-Erix

Interesting.  Build 18323 already has some other issues - including a very slow loading of non-M$ / non-UWP apps because of a new service entry calls Windows Insider Service (wisvc) which is described as

Quote

Provides infrastructure support for the Windows Insider Program. This service must remain enabled for the Windows Insider Program to work.

but which has never cause problems before.

On this reboot, I had just disabled that service, and it did nothing to help with MB3 loading.

Others are also experiencing GSODs and issues with audio (which I am not).

But I can fully test anything that you guys want to suggest - I have Macrium backups already in place from before *and* after the upgrade to 18323.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, John L. Galt said:

I'd like to make a suggestion about the batch file - for files larger than 20 MB, I get the instructions, but the first time I clicked to have wetransfer open the batch file exited, thereby removing the instructions on how to send the file.

Can you maybe add another pause (and / or prompt asking the user if he has successfully sent the file) before exiting out of the instructions (assuming you continue to use this batch file for other purposes, which it seems like you do)?

Thank you for the suggestion and ProcMon log file.

I will update the batch file to add a delay between opening the website and exiting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bonjour et merci pour tous vos bons conseils mais rien ne fonctionne, bref de toutes les façons j'estime avoir été grugé par Malwarebytes , c'est à eux à trouver le problème pas à une communauté, ce n'est pas à la communauté à qui j'ai donné mon argent, mais une société pour laquelle j'ai payé un service qu'ils n'accomplissent pas! Marre de ces gens qui n'assument pas leurs conneries! donc en réponse cela faisait 5 ans que j'étais client chez eux et bien au terme de ma licence, en juillet 2019, JE NE RENOUVELLERAI PAS!! SI TOUT LE MONDE FAIT PAREIL? PEUT ÊTRE QUE LES VALEURS S'INVERSERONT? Que L'on aura droit à plus de CONSIDÉRATION! Pour l'instant je pense que c'est une arnaque, à Malwarebytes (vendeur) de trouver la solution et non l'inverse (les acheteurs)! 

 

Hello and thank you for all your good advice but nothing works, in any case I feel I have been crushed by Malwarebytes , it is up to them to find the problem not to a community, it is not to the community to which I have given my money, but to a society for which I have paid for a service for which they do not perform! Tired of those people who don’t take their *****! so in response it was 5 years ago that I was a customer at their house and well at the end of my license, in July 2019, I will NOT RENEWAL!! IF ALL THE WORLD IS ALTERNATE? CAN THE VALUES BE REVERSED? That we will be entitled to more CONSIDERATION! For now I think it’s a scam, in Malwarebytes (seller) to find the solution and not the opposite (buyers)!

Edited by tetonbob
spacing between original post and translation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Erix said:

Ladies and gentlemen,

We are aware of this problem and have been looking into it with the help of Microsoft.

The issue is in fact isolated to  build 18323, we know it relates to the SetupAPI,

there is a change in there from 18317 that is either a bug or intentional 

we will not address this in our code base until we know which one it is (bug or intentional) and if it will be permanent.

It is worth reminding our community that while noticeable problems with our software running on Windows Preview builds do not show up often, we cannot support these early samples (especially the fast ring ones) because they involve a significant number of changes that are not permanent. We do however, greatly appreciate the fact that you work with us so closely and are right there on point every step of the way as we develop your product.

Thank you so much,

-Erix

To supplement Erix reply, it was specifically stated by Microsoft personnel at the Windows Insider "Mixer" (mixer.com/windowsinsider) this afternoon that Microsoft is aware of the issue with Malwarebytes and is definitely working on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Corrine said:

To supplement Erix reply, it was specifically stated by Microsoft personnel at the Windows Insider "Mixer" (mixer.com/windowsinsider) this afternoon that Microsoft is aware of the issue with Malwarebytes and is definitely working on it. 

That's good to hear, thanks for the info :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, exile360 said:

That's good to hear, thanks for the info :) 

There has been some progress with the new 3.7 Beta. Now both Exploit and Malware Protections are On.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When i try to install the beta it hangs on install and i end up having to reboot my pc and reinstall 3.6 so i gave up. Anyone else having issues with the beta install?

 

its working now, ignore this post

 

Edited by SOCIOPATH
grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Soozy said:

There has been some progress with the new 3.7 Beta. Now both Exploit and Malware Protections are On.

Same here - after install, now 2 / 4 are working.  A step in the correct direction :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, John L. Galt said:

Same here - after install, now 2 / 4 are working.  A step in the correct direction :)

I have the same results, with the 3.7 Beta, Exploit protection and Malware protection are ON, but Web protection and Ransomware protection are OFF (and cannot be turned on)... and I am still getting the "Real-Time Protection turned off" message.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TekGamer said:

I have the same results, with the 3.7 Beta, Exploit protection and Malware protection are ON, but Web protection and Ransomware protection are OFF (and cannot be turned on)... and I am still getting the "Real-Time Protection turned off" message.

Thank you for the feedback. 

Changes made in the Malwarebytes 3.7 beta were not specifically intended to address issues exhibited with Real-Time Protection in Windows 10 Insider Preview build 18323.

We are currently working with Microsoft to determine if certain changes made to SetupAPI in build 18323 are permanent or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, John L. Galt said:

Same here - after install, now 2 / 4 are working.  A step in the correct direction :)

3/4 now working for me today 1/31/19 on Insider build 18323 - but scans still freeze.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

3/4 now working for me today 1/31/19 on Insider build 18323 - but scans still freeze.

3/4 here as well, only ransomware is missing. However scans are fine - both manual and scheduled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ch3mn3y said:

3/4 here as well, only ransomware is missing. However scans are fine - both manual and scheduled.

Same here and scans are fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My issue was resolved by turning off the Auto Update, exiting and starting it back up and manually doing an update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updating to Windows Insider Preview 18329 seems to have fixed all issues.
Even though the Windows blog suggests that 18329 might have similar issues with Malwarebytes.
Before doing so, I tried doing what David_W mentioned above. I'm not sure if it helped or was necessary, as I did it just before seeing that Windows Insider Preview 18329 was in fact downloading.
Anyway, with Windows Insider Preview 18329, Malwarebytes (3.6.1.2711) is showing as working perfectly.

I only report this as an enthusiastic Windows and Malwarebytes user. I realize that vendors are not required to support preview versions of Windows, but it's fun to see these things coming along. Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to hear that. Shame that 18329 is not available for Pro PL-PL, so I still have to wait...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the skip ahead in the Windows Insider build from yesterday has fixed the issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, radBrad said:

Looks like the skip ahead in the Windows Insider build from yesterday has fixed the issues.

I concur, the newest "skip ahead" version, Window 10 Pro Version 1903 OS Build 18329.1 fixed the issue for me too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ch3mn3y said:

Good to hear that. Shame that 18329 is not available for Pro PL-PL, so I still have to wait...

You can DL the files and make the .ISO yourself, and then mount the .ISO in Windows Explorer and run setup from there, performing essentially the exact same as the WU provided upgrade.

See https://win10.guru/how-to-get-windows-insider-fast-ring-iso-for-latest-build/ for instructions, or you can PM me and I'll walk you through the steps.

I've been using this site for a long time to make .ISOs and manually install upgrades instead of using WU because WU is, at best, unpredictable, and at worst, a complete nightmare.

---

Clean installed, setting up drivers and apps, then making a Macrium backup and then will clean install the latest MB3 I have downloaded, and then see how it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately it's not that easy. There is NO 18329 for Pro PL-PL, so "side updating" won't help...

msider.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bonjour, avec la nouvelle mise à jour Windows Insider Preview 18329, Malwarebytes fonctionne correctement. Parfait! Merci.

Hello, with Windows Insider Preview 18329, Malwarebytes (3.6.1.2711) is showing as working perfectly. Everything is OK! THX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ch3mn3y said:

Unfortunately it's not that easy. There is NO 18329 for Pro PL-PL, so "side updating" won't help...

 

Ahhh, I didn't think of Pro versus Pro N....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.