Newest Windows 10 Insider (18323) has turned off Protections

Windows 10 Insiders got a new build 18323 today and immediately MB popped a Turn Protections on notice. I opened MB and could not turn on the Protections on any of the screen or tabs. Exploit Protection was the only 1 on.

I did a clean uninstall and download MB anew. Still the same issue. I did get a box that popped up that said "Malwarebytes is unable to load the AntiRootkit DDA driver. The error may be related to rootkit activity. We recommend rebooting so Malwarebytes can attempt to install the driver".

I have rebooted and there was a scan in progress after the reboot. Nothing was found. Only thing new on this PC is the latest Insider build on Windows 10.

Attached a screenshot.

Screenshot (7).png

Edited by Maurice Naggar

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello @Soozy:

That could be extremely valuable information to Malwarebytes Staffers/Developers.  Was the system's Malwarebytes for Windows Premium running okay prior to applying that particular insiders build?

Would you please download/run a mbst-grab (mb-support-1.3.1.553.exe) using the instructions from within the Having problems using Malwarebytes? Please follow these steps sticky?  Then, attach the resulting archive/zip file 3YDDDvL.pngmbst-grab-results.zip to your next topic reply.

Thank you kindly.

Edited by 1PW

Hello @Soozy:

The mbst-grab, you just posted, will be appreciated!

1.) Prior to Insiders Build 18323, were those systems running Insider Build 18317?  ...or other?

2.) And, was Malwarebytes for Windows Premium (CU 527 ???) running correctly with the previous build?

Thank you again.

4 minutes ago, 1PW said:

Hello @Soozy:

The mbst-grab, you just posted, will be appreciated!

1.) Prior to Insiders Build 18323, were those systems running Insider Build 18317?  ...or other?

Yes, both were running 18317.

2.) And, was Malwarebytes for Windows Premium (CU 527 ???) running correctly with the previous build?

Yes CU 527 was running correctly with NO problems.

Thank you again.

Hello @Soozy:

The above alert, from the AE module, IMHO is likely much easier to resolve compared to making 1903's 181323 and MB3 compatible.

Until you are sent authoritative directions by a Malwarebytes Staffer, and since MB3 may have only displayed that alert one time, please make no changes to: MB3 GUI >> Settings >> Protection Tab >> Real-Time Protection - Advanced Settings.

Again, thank you for your keen observations and your time to report this.

I'm currently tracking this issue.  Several other users have reported the same issue with the latest Insider Preview build of Windows 10 with various protection components failing as well as some other modules on occasion including rootkit scanning.  The cause of the problem appears to be an issue with Malwarebytes failing to install its drivers for some reason, and since each protection component (as well as rootkit scanning) uses its own driver, the end result is protection components cannot be enabled.  Perhaps Microsoft has changed how drivers are allowed to be installed and registered on systems in the latest Insider Preview.

Whatever it is, I expect it to be resolved by the time the Insider Preview build goes final/RTM.

this has been an issue off and on even with RTMed builds of windows, back in the early days I had figured out a method to force install the drivers, however that's no longer working

I feel it's time to update the diagnostic tool, give it the ability to uninstall and reinstall the drivers then assign the appropriate permissions necessary for it to run

and that's my two cents

Thank you for the additional information.  Yes, we have seen occasions where similar problems would occur in the past, and like you, we were generally able to correct/work around them, but in this case it appears that a change Microsoft has made has rendered those fixes/workarounds ineffective.  Hopefully whatever action is taken on Malwarebytes' side as well as Microsoft's will correct this issue once and for all, including for the scenarios that occurred occasionally with previous versions.

same issue here, with the latest Insider Build, Window 10 Pro Version 1903 OS Build 18323.1000

I tried running mb-clean-3.1.0.1035.exe and reinstalling,... no luck, same issue

I do not want to attach my mbst-grab-results.zip here because it contains the Setup log which contains my license key (I can provide it to support via email or private message if needed)

I'll add myself to the list. I'm also currently running the latest Insider build 18323. I entered the Windows Insider Program today (for the first time in ages), and updated Windows from the latest (non-insider) Windows 10 build. I uninstalled Malwarebytes beforehand. Looking forward to a fix, and keep up the good work. Cheers.

I approached the problem slightly differently.

I was on WinX Pro X64 Insider Preview 18312.1007, without MB3 running at all.

I then manually upgraded to WinX Pro X64 Insider Preview build 18323.1000, verified all was working, made a Macrium Backup, and installed MB3 (completely clean install, as it was never installed on this installation at all).

Still the same issue.

I'm gathering the logs, and will attach shortly.

mbst-grab-results.zip

Edited by John L. Galt
Added attachment

2 hours ago, TekGamer said:

Porthos,

Yes, it sures does include your license key.  The results zip contains your setup logs and I opened the latest one in notepad and searched for my license key and YES it is in there. 

It did not use to.  I just checked mine and you are correct my apologies. Will report to staff. @AdvancedSetup @LiquidTension