Malwarebytes Web Protection Turns Off By Itself

neeBUtHello,

My malwarebytes settings has a password so you can't disable it without the password. My problem is usually the malwarebytes web protection is always on. But it always pop up that I need to turn on the web protection feature. I turned on the feature afterwards I get the same message that It was disabled. This  happens again and again. It won't stop!

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab
    Repair menu_arrows.png

7. Click the Gather Logs button
    Advanced_arrows.png

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    Advanced Gather Logs_arrows.png

9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Advanced Gather Logs completed_arrows.png

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

• Staff

Greetings,

First off, please make certain you are running the latest build of Malwarebytes.  A new component update was released recently which may resolve your issues.  To do so, please open Malwarebytes and navigate to Settings>Application and click on the Install Application Updates button and allow it to download and install any available updates, restarting your system if prompted to do so to complete the installation process.

If that fails to resolve the problems then please try downloading the full installer for the latest build from here and install it over the top of your existing installation, again restarting your system if prompted to do so, then test to see if the issue is now resolved.

If the problem still remains then please do the following:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall Malwarebytes, either by allowing the tool to do so when it offers to on restart, or by downloading and installing the latest version from here

Check to see if that solved the problem, but if not then please use the Malwarebytes Support Tool to provide logs as explained below so that we may take a closer look at what's going on with your installation and hopefully guide you to a solution:

1. Run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Please let us know how it goes and provide the requested ZIP file if necessary should the issue still persist.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hello,

We've just released a new beta version of Malwarebytes.

Details can be found here: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/242033-mb37-beta/

Are you interested in giving this a try? We'd love to hear how you get on this this version and if you still experience the same issue or not. To install this beta version, please refer to the steps below.

• Open Malwarebytes and click Settings followed by the Application tab.
  • Scroll down to Beta Application Updates and turn the option On.
  • Click OK when prompted.
  • Scroll back up and click Install Application Updates.

I rely on Malwarebytes, and In several years of constant use, MWB has always protected my PC from malware incursions - I have had no problems, and I like to think it's an excellent anti-malware utility.

However, every few months, upon startup, Malwarebytes 3.7.1 reports that Realtime Protection is mysteriously Turned Off.  This immediately makes me worry if the program has somehow been hacked, and evil forces have disabled realtime protection on purpose.

Each time, I re-download and re-run the MB Support Tool.  Sometimes it runs, restarts my PC, reappears, and progress animations show it reinstalling MWB, and the program is automatically fixed.

Other times, when it restarts the PC, the Support Tool window reappears, but with no animation...the tool appears to be frozen, but Windows Task Manager says it's 'running'.  This condition continues, with no further progress, until I force the Tool to quit, reboot, and re-run the Support Tool several times, before it finally fixes MWB.

None of this exactly boosts my user confidence in MWB.  

I wish the Support Staff would explain why these mysterious realtime protection turnoffs occur, and offer some plausible reassurance that the defect that requires repeat usage of the MB Support tool to repair the program, (hopefully) does not necessarily mean that malicious hackers have somehow turned off realtime protection.

• Staff

Most likely it is an issue with the driver or configuration files and/or databases used by the software somehow being corrupt during updates or a conflict with some other driver, service or software on the system.  If you wish to troubleshoot the issue then please do the following:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

• Staff
19 hours ago, guitar-picker said:

I wish the Support Staff would explain why these mysterious realtime protection turnoffs occur, and offer some plausible reassurance that the defect that requires repeat usage of the MB Support tool to repair the program, (hopefully) does not necessarily mean that malicious hackers have somehow turned off realtime protection.

Please provide the troubleshooting data mentioned in the post above and we can certainly look into the cause of your issue.

Many Thanks - Attached are two log files, whose names depict the fact that one was generated at some point during the most recent sequence of repair attempts, while the other was generated just now, a day later, with Malwarebytes all repaired and functioning OK.   I hope this helps.

Edited by LiquidTension

• Staff

Hi @guitar-picker,

Per your request, I've deleted the attached files.

The available data does not show any past or current issues with Real-Time Protection. As the issue only occurs at startup, it's possible a slow startup is causing a mismatch between the loading of the protection drivers and what the user interface/notifications are displaying.

There's no indication of any malicious activity or other untoward behaviour involving your Malwarebytes installation.

I recommend enabling the 'Delay Real-Time Protection when Malwarebytes starts' setting. This should help prevent the issue you're seeing. To do so, open Malwarebytes > click Settings > click Protection > scroll down to Startup Options and turn the setting on.

If you encounter any further issues afterwards, please let us know.

Edited by LiquidTension

• 2 months later...