notransitory

AdwCleaner / PUP.OptionalLegacy

Hello!

My computer was infected with "PremierOpinion" - adware,  so I scanned and deleted the affected files with HitmanPro (The files were Boxore Ou, if I recall correctly). Afterwards I scanned with AdwCleaner and it found 8 PUP.OptionalLegacy files which it deleted during startup. After reboot my computer wouldn´t start some essential window services (including networking etc.) so I had to do a system restore to earlier this week. Can you tell me if I should be worried about these files? I am afraid of deleting them again since it didnrt go so good the last time.

I am adding Malwarebytes-, AdwCleaner-, HitmanPro- and FRST-log files here.

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

Malwarebytes_20_1_2019.txt

AdwCleaner[S04].txt

HitmanPro_20190120_1557.log

Hello, Welcome to Malwarebytes.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

Please download the attached Fixlist.txt file to  the same folder where the Farbar tool is running from.
The location is listed in the 3rd line of the FRST.txt log you have submitted.

Run FRST and click Fix only once and wait.

The tool will create a log (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.
===

The registry key reported by the AdwCleaner tool are remnant items of the PUP.Optional.OpenCandy Adware program.

The fix will remove them.

If AdwCleaner is still finding these registry key it's probably that it's a Sync issue.

If you are Syncing Firefox it with other Devices remove it.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-do-i-set-sync-my-computer

===

When done restart the computer normally.

Let me know if the problem persists.

Hello again! 

Thank you for your reply nasdaq.

I am not syncing Firefox with any devices at the moment. I made the Fixlist.txt file as you suggested and placed it in the same folder as FRST. I then clicked "Fix" and shortly after FRST informed me; "It seems you don't know what you're doing" and promptly closed itself! What went wrong?

I tried erasing FRST and downloading it again, didn't do the trick.

Hi,

I made the Fixlist.txt file as you suggested and placed it in the same folder as FRST.

I did not ask to create a Fixlist.txt.

What I asked you to DOWNLOAD the file.
Unfortunately I did not attach the file. Sorry about that.
You should have comeback to me on this.

The file is now attached.

Please download the attached Fixlist.txt file to  the same folder where the Farbar tool is running from.

===

Firefox:
Reset Default Browsing settings:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings
===

Post the Fixlog.txt that will be created.

Let me know what problem persists.

fixlist.txt

Sorry for the double post, I forgot to mention that adwcleaner still finds the 8 PUP.OptionalLegacy files it originally did.

Hi,

Probably caused by the Sync option.

FIREFOX SYNCING.
If Firefox still gives you problems and you are Syncing it with other Devices remove it.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-do-i-set-sync-my-computer

When all is well you can re-sync your devices.
<<<>>>

If after a restart of the compute the items are still reported by the AdwCleaner program I will give you a fix to remove them.

Hello!

I checked the Firefox syncing options, they are off. I am not syncing firefox with any devices. I reinstalled firefox completely and restarted computer. The items are still reported by AdwCleaner.

Hi,

===

You should be OK now.

fixlist.txt

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this topic. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks