Malwarebytes browser extension blocked part of website

verreniun

Hello, I need help regarding this issue please.

The Chrome browser extension of Malwarebytes has blocked one part of a website vdirect.me  specifically:

https://vdirect.me/v/m9em335RYXX91d64

I do not understand why, there are no ads on the website anywhere. And when I go to Settings > Protection > and uncheck the 'Enable scam protection' checkbox, everything works.

Like I said, there aren't any ads or scams on the website. I think it's a false positive. Can someone help me resolve this issue or at least explain what exactly does Malwarebytes see as a 'scam'?

Hello @verreniun and :welcome:

To help determine the cause of your system's issue, please obtain the following for analysis:

1. Please launch that system's Google Chrome browser and go to chrome://extensions, toggle on Developer mode and note the version of the Malwarebytes Browser Extension.  e.g. 1.0.nn
  2. Go to chrome://settings/help and note all the information in the version line.  e.g. Version 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit)
  3. Report the detailed description of that Operating System type, version, build, etc.  e.g. Windows 10 Pro x64 1803 17134.523, etc.
  4. Does the system also have Mozilla's Firefox browser installed?

In your next reply to this topic, please report the four (4) requested items of data.  Thank you for participating in the Malwarebytes for Chrome Beta testing program.

Edited by 1PW

In Firefox it seems to be working, the page is displayed, there is the count down page and when you click on the green Continue button, the page with the videojs video player is shown.

The version of Malwarebytes Firefox extension is 1.0.32 btw.

In Chrome, even if you request a non-existent page, like vdirect.me/v/123, it is still blocked because Videojs is included.. If you do that in Firefox, you see a normal "File does not exist" message.

Hello @verreniun:

Again, thank you for your timely observations.  Enough preliminary data should now give the Malwarebytes' team a place to jump in.

I too can verify the results of your observations, but using a macOS 10.14.2 Mohave MacBook Pro platform with otherwise identical versions.

The Malwarebytes team is being notified.  Thank you again for your great co-operation with this Beta program.

cc: @rakeshsejwal