cybot

bug: access is denied during setup upgrade/reinstall

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64

I do not need help, this is simply a report of a bug I encountered while trying to install re-install MBAM 3.6.1.2711

I booted up my system today and was told by MBAM that my real-time protection was no longer working. while running through various normal troubleshooting steps, I discovered In the system event logs, that there was an error saying that MBAM could not start real-time protection because it could not find a specified file. my system is clean and has no corruption, so knowing sometimes this happens, I decided to  download the latest version from the website and do a setup upgrade/reinstall. everything was going fine until I suddenly received an error message that said "Setup was unable to create the directory "c:\programdata\malwarebytes\mbamservice". Error 5 : Access is denied." I have manually checked the directory, and the directory, if it existed originally, no longer exists, or any other file in the "c:\programdata\malwarebytes\" directory. I know for a fact that there were files there previously. I don't know why setup is unable to create files there suddenly. setup was also unable to rollback changes. this is most likely due to what ever is blocking setup from installing mbam in the first place. running setup a second time, the process succeeded, which makes me believe it was a bug in the setup software. real-time protection also started working again after setup successfully ran.

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab
    Repair menu_arrows.png

7. Click the Gather Logs button
    Advanced_arrows.png

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    Advanced Gather Logs_arrows.png

9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Advanced Gather Logs completed_arrows.png

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Thank you for the report. Would you be willing to provide the logs requested in the post above to help us better understand what happened?

1 hour ago, Malwarebytes said:

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Reveal hidden contents

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab
    Repair menu_arrows.png

7. Click the Gather Logs button
    Advanced_arrows.png

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    Advanced Gather Logs_arrows.png

9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Advanced Gather Logs completed_arrows.png

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Reveal hidden contents

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Reveal hidden contents

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

I am no longer having any issues. I was just reporting a bug I ran into when I ran the latest version of mbam setup

mbst-grab-results.zipmbst-grab-results.zipoops didn't see the note from liquidtension.

Yes I am willing to send any log I might have. just keep in mind that the MBAM directories got emptied out during the failed setup run. this possibly includes any logs that got created during the failed setup run. 

I noticed that MBAM now has a link to the support tool in the settings>about tab. I also noticed the support tool now has a repair function. That's awesome! I will add that to my troubleshooting steps next time I have an issue.

mbst-grab-results.zip

was just perusing the gathered log files and I noticed a slight error in the generated log  MBST-check-results. it isn't anything major, more like a slight oversight. the log lists my primary and secondary drives as being 1Tb in size. this is incorrect. both drives are 2Tb is size. or when formatted, 1.80 and 1.81 Tb (respectively) in size. it seems the program which generates the log is either unable to detect the .80(.81) after the 1, or is rounding the size down, not up. (I was taught back in the day that when rounding, anything over 5 should be rounded up so 1.80 should be detected as 2). like I said, it isn't anything major, just an oversight or something. the percent of free space was accurate (I think), it's just the detected size of the drive.

Posted (edited)

Thank you for the file.

As you mentioned, here is the Event Log error:

Error: (01/04/2019 02:23:15 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7000) (User: )
Description: The MBAMProtection service failed to start due to the following error: 
The system cannot find the file specified.

I believe this may have been caused by a potentially new conflict between Malwarebytes for Windows and ESET Security. You are not the first user to recently experience something similar with ESET Security installed.

Have you experienced any recent ESET detections/blocks or changed ESET's configuration?

Would you be willing to share the configuration/settings for your ESET product? This will help us reproduce the issue.

• Open ESET Security.
  • Click Setup.
  • Click Import/Export Settings.
  • Check Export Settings.
  • Click [...], navigate to the Desktop and name the file esetconfig.
  • Click Save.
  • Click Export.
  • A file named esetconfig.xml will be saved to the Desktop. Please attach the file or send it to me in a private message (click my name followed by Message).
Edited by LiquidTension

On 1/5/2019 at 1:05 AM, cybot said:

was just perusing the gathered log files and I noticed a slight error in the generated log  MBST-check-results. it isn't anything major, more like a slight oversight. the log lists my primary and secondary drives as being 1Tb in size. this is incorrect.

Thank you for the information. We will look into this.

I can provide the exported eset smart security premium settings. I am a little reserved about doing so though.. eset smart security premium has a password manager and I don't want any of that data going out. also I have passworded the access to the settings of the program.

the only changes that have been made recently to ESET was the adding of exclusions to the directories and executables that are for MBAM, but that was several months ago and at mbam support staff direction. the  only recent ESET blocks come from the parental blocking which I have setup to block online advertising and sites known for spreading malicious content (jscript Trojans, drive by downloads, malware, etc....).

The only recent detections have been for a non-malicious type files detected as a hacktool (it was a HEX editor that allowed editing of memory and disk contents that I was using for a school project). MBAM also detected and tried to block this software. I guess security/AV is real sensitive these days about anything that might be used to allow illegally obtained software (again, not what I was using the 'hacktool' software for) to be run. Not that that is a bad thing since the crack/hacks for illegal software often contain viruses and Trojans and the like.

Anyways....

did the logs I sent contain any info on the running of the setup file that failed due to a access is denied error? I could not find it on my own when I tried too look for it.

Since the esetconfig.xml could potentially contain sensitive personal data I will send it via PM.

Thank you for sending over the information. Unfortunately, no luck with reproducing the issue and no information on the cause of the installation error.

Have you encountered any further issues since successfully completing the reinstallation?