ivanw000

Lock settings from modification?

Hi Malwarebytes team,

Wondering if you could consider adding a "padlock" to the preference pane and dashboard Real-Time Protection section. 

I just found out today that the settings and Real-Time Protection can be changed/turned off without second confirmation of user credential. 

Even an Apple-ish padlock would be good enough for preventing accidental changes.

Thanks a lot!

Posted (edited)

Greetings,

There is such an option in the consumer version of Malwarebytes for Windows which allows you to set a password to protect the settings/functions you choose from being modified/disabled etc.

I will suggest that they implement a similar feature for the Mac version.

Thanks for the suggestion and if there's anything else you'd like to see please don't hesitate to let us know.

Thanks

Edited by exile360

Posted (edited)

You're very welcome, I'm glad to be of service :)

There's no guarantees of course, as the final decision is up to the Developers and the Product team, however they seldom refuse to implement a good idea, and I personally think this is a really good one.  That said, there's no telling how long it would be before it did happen (again, assuming they approve) they would have to prioritize it in their backlog of existing bugs and features so it all depends on what priority they are able to give it in relation to everything else and how much they are able to get done in each release based on the time and resources they have available between each product release, but hopefully it will make it in and hopefully (I'm very hopeful :P ) it won't take too long.

Edited by exile360

Thanks for the suggestion! I do agree that something like this would be worth considering. We do protect against uninstall with a password, even though that's not strictly necessary, so it would make sense to apply the same thing to disabling protection features. exile360 is correct that such a feature would be competing against a lot of other things in the backlog, so I can't make any promises on timing, but I'll definitely talk to the team about this.

I agree that this suggestion would be very good for the security of this software.  In fact on December 13 2017 I posted about this idea & was told it would be looked into.

With all due respect it's disappointing that in Feb 2019 nothing seems to have been done.