Dave-H

Firefox add-on not working?

I think it needs one of the developers to comment on ESR compatability.

They are usually fairly prompt to respond here, maybe they are on holiday?

sorry for the delay, holidays. 

anyway I have tried the ESR 60 on my windows with Malwarebytes Extension and no issues. 

Blocking malware, scams and ads as usual. 

what is the issue that you are experiencing? 

No problem, Happy New Year! 👍
The issue is that although the extension appears to install OK, it doesn't then actually do anything!
No numbers ever appear on its icon, and it's not putting up any warnings on test websites.
It does work fine with Firefox 64 on Windows 8.1, but I'm trying to use it with Firefox 52 ESR on Windows XP.
Firefox 52.9 ESR is the last Firefox version that will run on XP.
🙂

Happy New Year as well

Win XP is something that we don't recommend and test with anymore. 

I am sure Firefox on XP is running with limited set of supported APIs that are required by our extension, I can put in a dev request to investigate this but can't say if this is something that we can fix or support. 

for my test I used Win 10 and ESR 60.0, this combo works exactly as Quantum. 

Thanks @rakeshsejwal!
I suspect that the problem is just the old version of Firefox, not the operating system it's running on.
When I have a chance I will do a test install of FF 52.9 ESR on Windows 10 (I have a multi-boot machine!) and see if it works on that.
If not, that will prove it's the age of the Firefox version that's the problem with the add-on, and in that case the wording on its Firefox extensions download page should be amended to reflect that.
At the moment it doesn't say that there's any restrictions on what versions it will work with.
🙂

agree it could be older Firefox engine, I am interested in knowing the results of your FF 52.9 and Win 10 test. 

Hi again, sorry for the delay!
I did a test install of Firefox 52.9 ESR on Windows 10, and the Malwarebytes extension did not work in it.
I think that proves that the problem is nothing to do with the operating system, it's the Firefox version.
I guess it just doesn't work with 52 ESR for some reason, and I guess in that case it won't actually work with any versions of Firefox earlier than a certain point.
If you can find what the earliest version it will work with is, that information should be added to its download page, and in fact it should be blocked from installing on versions it won't work with!
Cheers, Dave.
🙂

@Dave-H thanks for the research, Firefox must be on the latest version in order for our extension to work. 

Reason why we can't publish the last working version with Firefox? Firefox can change the API access anytime they want, like deprecate API or change callback mechanism. It would be really hard for us to continue supporting the older versions. 

Modern day browser are default set for auto-upgrade, which helps extension makers and users to stay updated without any manual interaction. 

Thanks @rakeshsejwal, understood.

The only thing I would say, as I did before, is that if there is a restriction on the Firefox versions that this add-on will work with, that should be stated on its Firefox add-on download page.

At the moment, there is nothing to say that it doesn't work with all versions of Firefox.
In fact, even better, it should be blocked from installing on versions of Firefox that it won't work with.
This is especially important as it will appear to install on versions of Firefox that it's incompatible with, but then just won't work, which will cause a lot of confusion, at least it did for me!
Cheers, Dave.
🙂

will see if I can limit that from the Addon dev console. 

thanks

Yes, I'm sure you should be able to specify a minimum version of Firefox for the add-on to be installed on, many add-ons have this stated, in fact if you go to the download page with a version of Firefox that's too old, you usually get a message on the page "this add-on is not compatible with your version of Firefox".
🙂

On 12/27/2018 at 1:49 PM, Dave-H said:

I just installed Malwarebytes 3.5.1 on my old XP machine, and it's working fine, in trial version at present, but I almost certainly will buy it!

I also installed the Firefox add-on 1.0.32 into Firefox 52.9.0 ESR, which appeared to install fine, but I have a suspicion that it's not actually doing anything!

There's no evidence of it blocking any sites, even some rather dodgy test ones I've been to (!), and isn't a number supposed to appear on its icon to show you what it's blocked? I have never seen this.....

Is this expected behaviour or a bug? The system requirements at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/malwarebytes/versions/ state " Works with firefox 48.0 and later, android 48.0 and later"  and imply the MB for Firefox browser extension should work in a Firefox ESR v52.9.0 browser (the legacy version for XP/Vista).

I installed Malwarebytes for Firefox v1.0.44 in my Firefox ESR v52.9.0 browser on 13-Apr-2019 assuming it would function correctly but, as OP Dave-H observed, this add-on seems to be non-functional on my Vista SP2 machine - at least for ad/tracker blocking.

For example, ads are blocked on the FileHippo site at https://filehippo.com/latest/ with the latest Adblock Plus v3.5.2 for FF (tested with the ABP option to "Allow Acceptable Ads" enabled and the Malwarebytes for Firefox add-on disabled) ...

1539330877_ABPv3_5_2withFFESRv52_9_0AllowAcceptablew_woNoTPTrackingwith21Jun2019.thumb.png.f4396a56b6f29a05db38c01d191962d6.png

...but no ads are  blocked on that site with the latest Malwarebytes Browser Extension for FF v1.0.44 when Adblock Plus is disabled:

1025109693_MBforFFv1_0_44withFFESRv52_9_0AdsDisplayed21Jun2019.thumb.png.b842f6d334756f28f354faf678ff217b.png

-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.2.22 * Malwarebytes Extension for FF v1.0.44 * Adblock Plus v3.5.2

Edited by lmacri

On 1/28/2019 at 1:00 PM, rakka said:

...Reason why we can't publish the last working version with Firefox? Firefox can change the API access anytime they want, like deprecate API or change callback mechanism. It would be really hard for us to continue supporting the older versions....

On 2/5/2019 at 5:01 PM, Dave-H said:

Yes, I'm sure you should be able to specify a minimum version of Firefox for the add-on to be installed on, many add-ons have this stated, in fact if you go to the download page with a version of Firefox that's too old, you usually get a message on the page "this add-on is not compatible with your version of Firefox".

... and further to Dave-H's comment, the system requirements for the Malwarebytes Extension for FF at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/malwarebytes/versions/ need to be changed ASAP if any current and/or past versions of this extension are not compatible with FF ESR v52.9.0.  There's currently nothing to prevent users with older versions of FF from installing this add-on and no obvious indication that this add-on, once installed, does nothing to protect your browser.

The latest uBlock Origin v1.20.0, for example, correctly prevents installation from the AMO home page at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/ when viewed with an incompatible FF ESR v52.9.0 browser...

2018915341_uBlockOriginv1_20_0IncompatibleFFESRv52_9_0Home21Jun2019.png.1b8bfc5bc4a967a0a6dc817790037122.png

... and the uBlock Origin version history at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/versions/ also displays:

716676538_uBlockOriginv1_20_0IncompatibleFFESRv52_9_0Versions21Jun2019.png.dd0bc5e5c88b96e31ac1c7101c06ad13.png

-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.2.22 * Adblock Plus v3.5.2

Edited by lmacri