Another system freezing with latest update - 7x64

I have a similar issue.  Computer freezes after varying amounts of time.  With Malwarebytes uninstalled I can use the computer normally.

Windows 7 x64 Pro up to date.

Malwarebytes Version 3.6.1.2711 up to date.

No BSOD, no memory dump.  SFC clear, memory tested OK.  Mainboard drivers up to date.

This started occuring 23rd December.  I've been away since 14th December so I can only assume an update was released whilst I was away and installed on my return which has caused this.  Have never had this (or any) issue previously.

I've had to uninstall MB otherwise I'm unable to use my PC enough to post here.  Should show in logs.

mbst-grab-results.zip

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Detailed system hardware spec for reference (its an older system now but previously rock solid reliable)

Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 Anthracite Ultimate Low Noise PC Case
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H LGA1150 ATX Motherboard
Intel 4th Gen Core i7 4770K 3.5GHz 84W HD4600 8MB Quad Core CPU
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Memory
Reeven Kelveros RC-1202 High Performance Quiet CPU Cooler
FSP Aurum 650W CM Quiet Modular PSU, 80+ Gold
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD Three-layer Cell Solid State Driv
WD 1TB 3.5in WD10EZRX Caviar Green Quiet SATA 6Gbs HDD OEM
Pioneer DVR-221LBK DVD and CD Reader/re-writer, OEM
Scythe SCKMRD3 Kama Reader 3 USB 3.0 Multi-format Card Reader
Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX770 OC 2GB Windforce Version, GV-N77O0C-2GD

PS.  Thanks to mod who moved this/created thread.

6 hours ago, jaxman said:

Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 Anthracite Ultimate Low Noise PC Case

I am pretty sure your PC case has nothing to do with the freezing  :)))

I see you are running Firefox. For the sake of experiment , turn "Web protection" OFF in MBAM, reboot, and install MBAM add-on on Firefox. You can also install uBlock origin as add-on.

The Web shield is known of being problematic.

Please report back!

Thanks!

@Jaxman, I have experienced the non-predictable freezing with 3 clients that contacted me in the last few days.  They have had issues for up to 2 weeks now.   What is common:

• All did not experience ANY computer issues before they recently contacted me
  • At times, either leaving the computer or working in programs, the computer will freeze - no mouse or keyboard control
  • All are on Win 7 Home, 64 and 32-bit
  • All have latest Malwarebytes Premium 3.6.1.2711
  • All received Microsoft Dec. 2018 updates on either 12/12 or 12/13 and none experienced any issues before these updates

Not common:

• 2 have Microsoft Security Essentials and 1 has Avast Free
  • 1 does not freeze if using IE or FF only; once when he opens Windows Live Mail will freezes eventually occur
  • 1 primarily uses FF and has to use Dragon program for dictation and freezing is random
  • 1 uses Outlook, Office, and other programs

I had issues using System Restore as it would not work so I manually uninstalled all Dec. 2018 updates and rebooted.  This provided some relief, but only by extending the time-frame for freezes from once every 10-60 min. to 1-2 times per day.

I was unsuccessful in researching this issue in Microsoft Forums.

Today is the 1st time I am reading something that is common to all my clients, Malwarebytes Premium installed on all computers.

I will be attempting to uninstall Malwarebytes Premium from each of the computers, test for freezing over time, and will report back.

I hope this reaches the Malwarebytes staff for visibility.

9 hours ago, loco said:

I am pretty sure your PC case has nothing to do with the freezing  :)))

I see you are running Firefox. For the sake of experiment , turn "Web protection" OFF in MBAM, reboot, and install MBAM add-on on Firefox. You can also install uBlock origin as add-on.

Please report back!

Thanks!

The case grounding may, it's been known.  I'm on Win 7 x64 Pro.

Firefox is irrelevant as the crashes happen regardless of operating state of the machine, i.e initial pre-login.

Note:  I'm a sys admin with 23 years professional experience.  I just don't post that way, on purpose.

@loco, I did not.  Is this the protection layer with the known issue?  I read in another thread that some have turned off Ransomware protection as well.  For now, it was just easier for me to remove Malwarebytes and wait for a solution.  I've performed this on 2 computers and the other person is out of town so his computer will need to wait.  I don't have feedback yet from my first 2 clients.  From my detective work, I believe something was either introduced from the Dec. MS updates that created a conflict or there was a bad update from Malwarebytes around the same timeframe.

14 minutes ago, mkaz said:

Is this the protection layer with the known issue?

I am running BitDefender free and MBAM paid on one computer and MSE 4.10 and MBAM paid on another one, fully updated, both Win7/64 and I always had We shield disabled  (but using MBAM ad-on on Firefox)

Working fine, no freezing ; Web shield is the most common to produce conflicts (and problematic) with insignificant benefits (see the amount of FPs) , so I always had it disabled.

Thanks @ loco.  Do you have the Dec. MS updateds installed (Windows, .Net, Office) on both Win 7 computers?  I ask because, previous to these updates, my three clients did not have an issue with all features of Malwarebytes turned on.  What I can't answer is whether Malwarebytes pushed an update around the same time.

Win7x64

Malwarebytes Premium 3.6.1.2711. up to date Firefox, Acronis with disabled "Active Protection", Office 2016 with running Outlook

I also start to have system freezes after MS December patches: 1-4 per day.

I closed Malwarebytes (system tray->exit) and it was two days without system hang up.

I will try disable Web protect, but I need to access to some sites that work only with IE. So FF MBAM add-on  is not perfect solution...

On 12/24/2018 at 1:43 PM, jaxman said:

I have a similar issue.  Computer freezes after varying amounts of time.  With Malwarebytes uninstalled I can use the computer normally.

No BSOD, no memory dump.  SFC clear, memory tested OK.  Mainboard drivers up to date.

This started occuring 23rd December.  I've been away since 14th December so I can only assume an update was released whilst I was away and installed on my return which has caused this.  Have never had this (or any) issue previously.

I've had to uninstall MB otherwise I'm unable to use my PC enough to post here.  Should show in logs.

mbst-grab-results.zip

I have the same issue with my Win7 / 64 bit Ultimate w/ all the latest updates, done exactly the same routines as you have to check out what could be the culprit and whatnot. I've been trying just about everything in terms of hardware and software and the likely culprit is MBAM v.s. ESET v.s. Microsoft's own code spaghetti. Been bombarding the MBAM customer support for quite the while now, and they seem to be scratching their heads in silence.

The system freezes that I've been experiencing are symptomatically 1:1 similar to what I've been experiencing.

The only difference in my case was that I thought everything was fine since I didn't have any freeze-ups for a couple of days, until I noticed that the MBAM application had completely frozen up all on its own, that's why I had been able to be back in business with no problems. *sigh and a tired laughter*

Sure would be nice if they'd come up with a solution; I'm running out of ideas back here, too. Keep us posted if you come up with anything!

Cheers!

I can shed some additional light on the MBAM Premium / system freeze issue, as I too have been grappling with this problem since Dec 7th.   Most important to note, this was BEFORE the December patch Tuesday, so Microsoft is off the hook here.  I have also had it happen on both Win7 64-bit and Win 7 32-bit PCs.  Disabling Ransomware Protection alone didn’t fix it, but so far no freezes with both Web and Ransom Protection disabled together.  Also, the freezes happen regardless of whether the PC is being actively used.  I’ve had it happen overnight, and I’ve had it happen right in the middle of working.

This is extremely frustrating and I am shocked that Malwarebytes hasn’t fixed it yet.

44 minutes ago, Darkdirk said:

I can shed some additional light on the MBAM Premium / system freeze issue, as I too have been grappling with this problem since Dec 7th.   Most important to note, this was BEFORE the December patch Tuesday, so Microsoft is off the hook here.  I have also had it happen on both Win7 64-bit and Win 7 32-bit PCs.  Disabling Ransomware Protection alone didn’t fix it, but so far no freezes with both Web and Ransom Protection disabled together.  Also, the freezes happen regardless of whether the PC is being actively used.  I’ve had it happen overnight, and I’ve had it happen right in the middle of working.

This is extremely frustrating and I am shocked that Malwarebytes hasn’t fixed it yet.

Can confirm as Windows patches were applied after I started to have problems.

8 hours ago, loco said:

So, did you try with Web shield disabled?

loco, I didn't as I consider it a critical function of the product and if there's a question over the products reliability the first thing I seek to do is protect my system from it until the issue is resolved.

That said, not sure much is happening on this issue, although it's a holiday in many countries I suppose.

On 12/24/2018 at 8:43 PM, jaxman said:

I am in exactly the same condition.

I was in trouble because I didn't know what the cause was, but I came to this forum and found out the cause.
Please release the corrected file as soon as possible.

Ever since Component Update 3.6.1 v1.0.508 was released on December 7th there has been a steady stream of users complaining of frozen systems , crashing or slow systems attributable to that specific CU update . Malwarebytes is aware of the issue which they are trying to fix.  As the update propagates more systems are being affected. That said the folks at MB insist that only a minor percentage of machines are affected. 

I have taken the step of preventing the Component package updating to the 508 version and have none of the above problems on either the win 7 x64 or Win X x64. If you still have the older installer then revert to that version and turn off the automatic downloading of the application component updates till the issue has been resolved. (Go to Settings then the Application tab)

It seems that those symptoms have been "prevented" when users (1) turn off MB web protection or (2) turn off exploit protection module in MB. 

Also suggested as

23 hours ago, loco said:

There is also an add on for Chrome to provide online protection similar to the main MB.

None of the above is a real solution but till MB fixes the issue that the CU 508 has reintroduced or introduced it is a work around to prevent crashing and freezing.

I would suggest it prudent to have another antivirus ie Avast or AVG free installed alongside in any event.

Just to remind people that this "bug", if that is what it is, doesn't affect all Windows 7 systems. I'm running Malwarebytes Premium with all updates alongside MSE on Windows Home Premium SP1 64x on a Lenovo G560 and have not experienced any freezing problems at all.