Malwarebytes 3.6.1 is locking up my desktop

All: I am running Win7/64 and having the issues.  My wife is next to me running a laptop with Win10 and update package version  1.0.8551

Her laptop running Win10 has never locked up, so I am presuming a Win10 change broke Win7 users.  I am running since 8 am without lock-up.

I checked just now, looks like my Win7/64 desktop is also running update package version 1.0.8551

Sorry for the lack of response so far. Our engineering teams have been working hard to try and replicate this issue so we can understand what's going on and get a solution in place. This issue looks to affect a very small subset of users (less than 1%), couple that with the nature of the issue (the entire machine locking up), and this is a very difficult issue for us to reproduce and understand exactly what's causing. That being said, even though it's only happening to a small number of users, we obviously still want to find a solution for those users who are impacted. As such, can you please follow the instructions below to gather some logs for us so we can try to understand what is happening:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Do not click on Start Repair
  3. Click on Advanced on the left side and then click Gather Logs
  4. This process will take a few minutes and once completed, it will put a zip file on your desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip
  5. Please upload that zip file in your response

There's a second set of logs that will help as well:

1. Download and extract the attached RUNME.zip
  2. Right click on RUNME.bat inside the extracted folder and choose Run as Administrator
  3. Choose Option 1 and press Enter
    1. This will enable driver verifier for our web protection module and turn on a complete memory dump instead of just a kernel memory dump
  4. Reboot 
  5. Turn on Web Protection, and use your computer as normal until it freezes again.
  6. Once the computer freezes, it should cause a blue screen.
  7. After rebooting, copy C:\Windows\memory.dmp to your desktop.
  8. Right click on memory.dmp on your desktop and choose Send to -> Compressed (Zipped) folder. This should create a file named memory.zip
  9. Upload the zip file to wetransfer.com and provide the link in your response
  10. Once completed, you can then redo steps 2, 3 and 4, but this time choose Option 2 to change things back to default

While we have logs from our users so far, getting logs from multiple users helps us see what similarities there are between these computers to understand what's going on. Thanks in advanced, and we will do our best to make sure we're staying more responsive.

RUNME.zip

No complaints at all, I'm in IT and know all too well how hard if not impossible it can be to remotely troubleshoot an issue appearing on a small subset of users.  It's 6:25 am here, 8 am will make 24 hours with no lockup, so much better than earlier in the week.  I will go ahead and send the requested materials (log dumps, etc.) on another post.  Thanks Again!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us! We're working hard towards finding a solution for this issue.

It'd be very helpful if the following instructions could be carried out on machines exhibiting the freeze/lock up. This will provide data on the state of the processes running up until the system freeze and help us track down the source of the issue.

• Please download PSList.zip using the link below.
    https://malwarebytes.box.com/shared/static/jrbrzr4rpbu4rlstl4abq0ghglg24hov.zip
  • Open your Downloads folder. Right-click 3YDDDvL.png PSList.zip and click Extract All.... Ensure Show extracted files when complete is checked and click Extract.
  • A folder will open. Open the PSList folder inside. Right-click CX41PDv.png PSList64.bat (use PSList.bat if you are running 32-bit Windows) and click AVOiBNU.jpg Run as administrator.
  • Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info followed by Run anyway.
  • A black console window will appear. Each second, a new text file will be written to the extracted PSList folder. 
  • Please leave the console window open and wait for the machine to freeze/lock up.
  • Once the machine has locked up, force a restart.
  • After the machine has restarted, right-click the extracted PSList folder and click Send to followed by Compressed (Zipped) folder.
  • Name the Zip file PSList-Output. Please attach PSList-Output.zip to a forum post.

12 hours ago, magnetman said:

Any more info on this?

I have 4 separate W7/64 computers locking up every day or every other day. 2 desktops and 2 laptops.

Please see this topic for current workarounds:
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/241223-malwarebytes-for-windows-and-windows-7-freezelock-up/

We are working on a more permanent solution and will update the topic as soon as possible.