Malwarebytes causing Firefox to crash

Hi there

Firefox 64 (Win 10) keeps crashing particularly when a save or open dialogue pop up window is being used. I have removed and reinstalled Firefox, I have run in safe mode, I have run with add ons disabled and have even reset Windows and reinstalled everything from scratch

I submitted a few crash reports to mozilla and they have come back to me saying that its Malwarebytes that is causing the issue as you can see from their response:

Signature: ntdll.dll@0x148b1

Crash Reason EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION_READ

mbae64.dll = Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

gdiplus.dll = Microsoft GDI+

ntdll.dll = Microsoft

Their advice was to update MB (its a clean and fresh install direct from the website) or disable it (clearly not something I would wish to do).

Is this a known issue and a fix in the pipeline or is this new?

Thanks

Jamie

Many thanks 1PW :)

Attached is the zip archive.  Plese bear in mind that this log is based on 24 hours worth of use as the laptop was reinstalled yesterday to try and get round this issue.  It has been an issue for a couple of weeks now.

Thanks in advance

Jamie

Many thanks 1PW :)

Attached is the zip archive.  Plese bear in mind that this log is based on 24 hours worth of use as the laptop was reinstalled yesterday to try and get round this issue.  It has been an issue for a couple of weeks now.

Thanks in advance

Jamie

mbst-grab-results.zip

• Root Admin

Okay, since I'm not sure how the reinstall was done, let's go ahead and have you do a clean removal and reinstall of Malwarebytes and we'll go from there.

Let me have you try doing a clean removal and reinstall of Malwarebytes and see if that helps correct the issue or not.

Please download the Malwarebytes Support Tool and use it to do a Clean Removal and reinstall of Malwarebytes

• Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  • Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by the User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  • Place a check-mark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  • Click the Advanced menu on the left.

mbst_get_started.jpg.141f202702e5e21b4ff

• Click the CLEAN button

mbst_advanced_options.jpg.aea58d8506c579|

• A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed to remove Malwarebytes from your computer
  • Upon completion, click OK
  • Follow the onscreen prompts to reboot and reinstall Malwarebytes

Then let me know if you're still having issues with Malwarebytes and Firefox

Thanks

Ron

Hi Ron

It was a clean reset of Win10 (just keeping files) and MB was reinstalled from a download from the main website and then my premium activated thereafter.

I have followed the above in the hope that it fixes it but it seems to have made the issue worse and now FF wont start at all and now keeps requesting either start on safe mode (tried multiple times and it just hangs and then crashes) or to reset firefox .

Its getting really frustrating as you can imagine I'm sure.

Thanks for your help

• Root Admin

Okay, please run the following for me. Temporarily disable your security software. Then make sure you re-enable it after the scan.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thanks again, Ron

• Root Admin

I don't see any smoking gun so to speak for an obvious reason.

I do see that you have both a version 64 of Firefox installed as well as a version 65 Developer version of Firefox installed as well as a few extension for web development.

Do you have the crash dump files that you can send to us as well so we can take a look and see what's going on? It looks like our Exploit module is blocking something but need to get more details as to why.

Or were those just crash logs from Firefox?

• Root Admin

Let's go ahead and install Malwarebytes again. Get it activated, etc. Then run the following for me to get me the logs. Also, please go ahead and zip up the Firefox logs you sent to Mozilla and include them too so we can review them as well.

It looks like one of the settings in our Exploit module is causing the issue. Perhaps the logs will tell us why and we can dig in deeper there.

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:
NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab

1944505166_Repairmenu_arrows.png.566f861
  7. Click the Gather Logs button

Advanced_arrows.png.4bf56db369b0b175ee2b

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

715586608_AdvancedGatherLogs_arrows.png.

9. Upon completion, a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK

164871969_AdvancedGatherLogscompleted_ar

10. Please attach the file in your next reply.

Thank you again,

Ron

• Root Admin

Let me have you open Malwarebytes, go to Settings > Protection >   then click on "Manage Protected Applications" and scroll down the list and disable Mozilla Firefox and click OK

Then let me know if Firefox is still crashing or not. That will verify if it's the Exploit module causing this crash.

manage_protected_applications.jpg