How to stop automatic scan at startup with Free version?

Not that long ago, maybe a month or two ago, I had to reinstall both MBM and my main Antivirus software. Because of the reinstall, I was giving a free trial of MBM. Now ever since my trial has run out, I'll notice every once in awhile that my computer will get really laggy at start up, to the point where it actually freezes and stutters from time to time, because MBM decided to scan at start up and I didn't realize it because I'm never notified. It's really annoying, and I'd really would like to stop it so that I can just use it for manual scanning purposes. Is there any way to stop it? I'm afraid I'm going to be doing something really CPU-heavy one day when it starts scanning and I won't realize it until the system has crashed or I lose what I had been working on.

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab
    Repair menu_arrows.png

7. Click the Gather Logs button
    Advanced_arrows.png

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    Advanced Gather Logs_arrows.png

9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Advanced Gather Logs completed_arrows.png

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

1 hour ago, Flo_Ami said:

Now ever since my trial has run out, I'll notice every once in awhile that my computer will get really laggy at start up, to the point where it actually freezes and stutters from time to time, because MBM decided to scan at start up and I didn't realize it because I'm never notified.

The free version does not do any scans automatically. Please post the logs from the "Bot" reply above and someone will take a look.

Greetings,

Please open Malwarebytes and go to Settings>Scan Schedule and click on the item listed there to highlight it then click Delete.  Once that's done, restart your system and verify that it is no longer executing a scan on system start.

Please let us know if the issue is now resolved or not.

Thanks

6 hours ago, exile360 said:

Greetings,

Please open Malwarebytes and go to Settings>Scan Schedule and click on the item listed there to highlight it then click Delete.  Once that's done, restart your system and verify that it is no longer executing a scan on system start.

Please let us know if the issue is now resolved or not.

Thanks

I'm not seeing anything under the scan schedule page.

mbm screenshot.png

If there's no scheduled scan then Malwarebytes shouldn't be running an automatic scan on startup.  I'm not sure what's causing this to occur, but it may help to take a look at your startup entries as that may give us a clue:

Create an Autoruns Log:

Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here and save it to your desktop.

Note: If using Windows VistaWindows 7Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10 then you also need to do the following:

Right-click on Autoruns.exe and select Properties
Click on the Compatibility tab
Under Privilege Level check the box next to Run this program as an administrator
Click on Apply then click OK

• Double-click Autoruns.exe to run it.
  • Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.
  • Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and verify that the following are checked, if they are unchecked, check them:

Hide empty locations
Hide Windows entries

• Click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Scan Options... then in the Autoruns Scan Options dialog enable/check the following two options:

Verify code signatures
Check VirusTotal.com

• Once that's done click the Rescan button at the bottom of the Autoruns Scan Options dialog and this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
  • When it's finished and says Ready. on the lower left of the program window, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the file to your desktop and close Autoruns.
  • Right click on the file on your desktop that you just saved and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the ZIP folder you just created to your next reply
23 minutes ago, exile360 said:

If there's no scheduled scan then Malwarebytes shouldn't be running an automatic scan on startup.  I'm not sure what's causing this to occur, but it may help to take a look at your startup entries as that may give us a clue:

Create an Autoruns Log:

Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here and save it to your desktop.

Note: If using Windows VistaWindows 7Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10 then you also need to do the following:

Right-click on Autoruns.exe and select Properties
Click on the Compatibility tab
Under Privilege Level check the box next to Run this program as an administrator
Click on Apply then click OK

• Double-click Autoruns.exe to run it.
  • Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.
  • Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and verify that the following are checked, if they are unchecked, check them:

Hide empty locations
Hide Windows entries

• Click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Scan Options... then in the Autoruns Scan Options dialog enable/check the following two options:

Verify code signatures
Check VirusTotal.com

• Once that's done click the Rescan button at the bottom of the Autoruns Scan Options dialog and this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
  • When it's finished and says Ready. on the lower left of the program window, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the file to your desktop and close Autoruns.
  • Right click on the file on your desktop that you just saved and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the ZIP folder you just created to your next reply

Here you go!

Autorun result.zip

It's odd, I don't see anything showing that Malwarebytes should be launching a scan on boot, so maybe it's some kind of strange corruption/issue with its configuration files causing it.  To attempt to fix it, please do the following:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall Malwarebytes, either by allowing the tool to do so when it offers to on restart, or by downloading and installing the latest version from here

Please let us know if that resolved the issue or not.

By the way, I also noticed you have a lot of unnecessary startup items that launch every time your computer boots.  While that wouldn't cause this issue, it could definitely slow your system down and reduce its performance.  Once we're done here, if you would like assistance in cleaning up some of the unneeded startups then you may create a new topic in our general PC help area requesting assistance with it and posting your Autoruns log that you created above by clicking here.  I also noticed that you have Java installed.  If you don't use it/need it for anything then I would definitely recommend removing it as it is known to be a frequent target for malicious exploits and to have lots of vulnerabilities that pose a risk to your system's security.  If you wish to remove it you may run the Java uninstall tool found here.

On 12/23/2018 at 5:12 PM, exile360 said:

It's odd, I don't see anything showing that Malwarebytes should be launching a scan on boot, so maybe it's some kind of strange corruption/issue with its configuration files causing it.  To attempt to fix it, please do the following:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall Malwarebytes, either by allowing the tool to do so when it offers to on restart, or by downloading and installing the latest version from here

Please let us know if that resolved the issue or not.

By the way, I also noticed you have a lot of unnecessary startup items that launch every time your computer boots.  While that wouldn't cause this issue, it could definitely slow your system down and reduce its performance.  Once we're done here, if you would like assistance in cleaning up some of the unneeded startups then you may create a new topic in our general PC help area requesting assistance with it and posting your Autoruns log that you created above by clicking here.  I also noticed that you have Java installed.  If you don't use it/need it for anything then I would definitely recommend removing it as it is known to be a frequent target for malicious exploits and to have lots of vulnerabilities that pose a risk to your system's security.  If you wish to remove it you may run the Java uninstall tool found here.

Thank you for the help! I don't know if it has worked quite yet as I just reinstalled using these steps, but I'll give it a few days and come back with a final update on the topic. That said the uninstall/clean and reinstall went smoothly, so I am hopeful.

I'll also make sure to take your advice on the startup items. I disabled a few before but I never know what is necessary and unnecessary, so I'll definitely be asking.