Winrar help

chimpy

@Advanced,

I'm just trying to promote good discussion is all. I did a bit of research and came up with that information that I posted and wondered what you all thought. What positives are you referring to if it isn't the best in compression or speed? I'd like to make an informed decision :huh:

@Advanced,

I'm just trying to promote good discussion is all. I did a bit of research and came up with that information that I posted and wondered what you all thought. What positives are you referring to if it's isn't the best in compression or speed? I'd like to make an informed decision :huh:

@swagger...I can see...good job though

Well without going into details this file recovery feature is a deal breaker for me with RAR.

Even if a part of a multi-part file is missing or damaged you can still recover and extract the file. Try that with any of the others.

I read about the recovery feature with RAR. I guess that is pretty important especially if you work with a lot of archive files and run into corrupted or damaged archives pretty often.

You can get excellent compression with WinRAR if you crank up the settings in the options as well :) .

I imagine if you crank up the settings, it'll be EVEN slower than it is already reported to be :unsure: Is speed not a big deal for you?

I don't know... I'm sure to humans, it would probably not make much of a different but in that wiki article I linked to, it noted that RAR was slower than some of the other archive formats. I'll probably just try it out but I hardly use archives at this point, so I would most likely be fine with a free solution like 7-Zip or IZarc

• Root Admin
I'll probably just try it out but I hardly use archives at this point, so I would most likely be fine with a free solution like 7-Zip or IZarc

If you don't really use archiving then the built-in support in XP or Vista/Windows 7 will probably work just fine for you in most instances.

I certainly would not pay the $29 if I didn't use it often, but in my case I don't think a day passes on the computer that I don't use WinRAR. I even use it to extract printer drivers instead of using their automated installer.

• Root Admin

Well probably not for most of the other users here, but you might want this Exile, if you don't already have it. Universal Extractor

I've been using it for a while and not much it can't work with. Too bad the author seems to not update it much anymore but not fully dead in development.

• Root Admin
I shouldn't need it with Universal Extractor, correct? It says it extracts InnoSetup installers as one of its supported formats.

That file is "how" they are able to extract the InnoSetup files. Without an update if you find a new program from Inno then you won't be able to extract it.

It will open the older Inno setup files but not the new ones without it.