Troubleshooting a family members Android phone

Chas4

When the Phone app or Contacts app is open they crash (if you boot into safe mode they do not crash and you can make calls).  Does Malwarebytes have or is there a way in Android to see what might be hijacking the 2 apps (this is a pre Android version 5 device)?

If it's not crashing in Safe Mode, but is in normal mode (and presuming that the Android works similar to Windows), then it's a matter of figuring which app is conflicting.
The most straightforward wasy is to uninstall apps in groups of 5 or so until you find the group that's to blame - then uninstall each of the 5 one-by-one until you isolate it.

That what I have done a bit of, but so far no luck and from what I know the apps have not changed much of the about 3 or 4 years they have had the phone.  I did notice that looks like a Android subsystem update gave it the (I think it came in Android 9) got the new loading dots (not sure if that is Android webveiw).

Yep safe mode in Android is similar to it in Windows (3rd party apps are disabled).

If you can't isolate it that way, then try a full reset (setting the phone back to the way it came from the factory) and see if that helps

Be sure to backup the contents of the phone first.

Already tried a reinstall of the OS (cell provider has a Windows program for that).  Android 4 may not be fully compatible with the Android system webview update that was pushed recently (the new webveiw has a different loading indicator than the rest of the OS).