Another Windows 7 x64 freeze after the 1.0.508 update

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, MajesticWi said:

I have noticed not only an improvement in the shut down process, but a bigger change with the boot up.  Applications load much faster during a restart or cold boot.   I am very happy with the 1.0.508 update.  No complaints here.   

Yep, same here with the one notable exception being the issue I discovered with the OEM HotKey application software on my system and Ransomware Protection that I discovered, though excluding it corrected that problem.

FYI Gang,

In order to resolve this problem (freezes on Windows 7), I decided to bite the bullet and "upgrade" to W10. In less than 1 year W7 life-cycle will be over. (I did a clean install of W10 version 1809).

I bought the W7 disc with Key 5 or 6 years ago. I dusted it off and used the key to activate W10. Apparently the free upgrade is still allowed if you have your W7 Key.

No more freeze. Now all I have to do is Tweak windows 10 to my satisfaction. It is quite the adventure !!

Just now, abs7125 said:

All you had to do was install the beta fix, instead of changing your OS. The beta fix resolved all the problems.

It's not even in beta any more.  Build 527 of Malwarebytes which includes the fix for this issue has now been released.

By the way, you should also be aware now that you're running Windows 10, that there is an issue with the Insider Preview build 18323 of Windows 10 where it prevents Malwarebytes (and apparently many other programs) from installing drivers which breaks protection as well as rootkit scanning.  Microsoft has been made aware of the issue so hopefully they'll have it fixed before build 18323 goes RTM.

Actually I reverted back to older version which worked rather well but I was having Windows Update problems and had corrupted files I could not fix.I decided to go to W10. That was a week ago. I just put this out as an FYI if anyone wanted to try for a free upgrade at this late date.

7 minutes ago, exile360 said:

It's not even in beta any more.  Build 527 of Malwarebytes which includes the fix for this issue has now been released.

By the way, you should also be aware now that you're running Windows 10, that there is an issue with the Insider Preview build 18323 of Windows 10 where it prevents Malwarebytes (and apparently many other programs) from installing drivers which breaks protection as well as rootkit scanning.  Microsoft has been made aware of the issue so hopefully they'll have it fixed before build 18323 goes RTM.

thanks for the tip on 18323. I have an earlier version. I have been attempting to stall my updates using metered connection settings. Giving MS a chance to correct their errors before they download large updates. To early to tell if it is working.

Hi there
Install Malwarebytes for Windows version 3.6.1 CU 1.0.519 - 15days of flawless uptime
then update to Malwarebytes for Windows version 3.6.1 CU 1.0.527 - 5 days freeze free
then it started 24 hours later then 2 days and today 3rd time freeze for no appearant reason
Something got updated thro the daily updates?
I know its suppose to definitions only - not componenet or version change but I not sure whats going on
Roll back to 519 and see if freezes still happen with updated definitions
-> MB needs to do better - I would think - this problems has been for over a year and I keep the log of freezes
In 2018 it has over hundreds on my simpleton computer that needs hard reboot - I dont even play graphic games
Of course I cannot be sure it MB alone either
Anyway - still one of the better or best product in the industry/marketplace
Pls keep up the good work :)
Looking forward to yearly freeze-free w7 days again :)

10 hours ago, Jonahsworm said:

then update to Malwarebytes for Windows version 3.6.1 CU 1.0.527 - 5 days freeze free
then it started 24 hours later then 2 days and today 3rd time freeze for no appearant reason
Something got updated thro the daily updates?

You have had freezes with new update?

5 hours ago, LiquidTension said:

To those reporting improved startup/shutdown performance with CU 1.0.527 - is this with all Real-Time Protection components enabled (Ransomware Protection included)? 

Everything enabled here.

I have corrupt Avast registry keys on HDD that are screwing my Aero themes on start up. Turns windows grey (back to basic theme) for a few minutes and locks up pc, so I can only report quicker shutdown times at this stage.

2 minutes ago, SubyTooner said:

I have corrupt Avast registry keys on HDD that are screwing my Aero themes on start up. Turns windows grey (back to basic theme) for a few minutes and locks up pc, so I can only report quicker shutdown times at this stage.

We can probably help you fix that.  My guess is that it's a compatibility setting misconfigured by the built in Windows compatibility monitor that caused it to tell Windows to revert to the basic theme for compatibility (even though it obviously doesn't actually require it).  We should be able to locate the key and help you to delete it to correct the problem.  In fact, it should show up in the logs from the Malwarebytes Support Tool if you wish to post them, but for the sake of not hijacking the purpose of this thread, please create a topic in the general PC help area by clicking here and post the logs along with a brief description of the issue and we'll help you out.  Instructions on creating the logs can be found below:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

10 hours ago, LiquidTension said:

Thank you everyone for the continued feedback.

To those reporting improved startup/shutdown performance with CU 1.0.527 - is this with all Real-Time Protection components enabled (Ransomware Protection included)? 

Yes, all four of the real-time protection settings including ransomware and web are enabled.

On 1/29/2019 at 3:23 AM, exile360 said:

We can probably help you fix that.  My guess is that it's a compatibility setting misconfigured by the built in Windows compatibility monitor that caused it to tell Windows to revert to the basic theme for compatibility (even though it obviously doesn't actually require it).  We should be able to locate the key and help you to delete it to correct the problem.  In fact, it should show up in the logs from the Malwarebytes Support Tool if you wish to post them, but for the sake of not hijacking the purpose of this thread, please create a topic in the general PC help area by clicking here and post the logs along with a brief description of the issue and we'll help you out.  Instructions on creating the logs can be found below:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Awesome e360!

I will start a new thread with MB log and relevant info some time over the next day or 2.

On 1/22/2019 at 9:13 PM, AverageJoe said:

I turned automatic updates back on and forced an update to the 1.0.527 components package this morning.

How to force the update. Mine is still the old version and it wont update it even when the automatic updates is already on.