Another Windows 7 x64 freeze after the 1.0.508 update

3 hours ago, LiquidTension said:

Thank you for the information.

If you don't mind, please could you carry out the troubleshooting steps (1-3) outlined in the article listed below:
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/241223-malwarebytes-for-windows-and-windows-7-freezelock-up/

Done. Hope this helps.

Windows Updates are up to Dec-2018 and had been before freezes. I only had 4 or 5 freezes while online on my SSD with the first 1 late Dec and the others around 2 to 3 days apart.

I have a dual drive setup with my HDD storage/backup drive also a fully functioning WiN 7 64 sp1 install, as this used to be my main drive.

Not sure why Windows Defender is showing in mbst-check-results as being enabled. I have it disabled and always have.

As I mentioned in my first post I had completely uninstalled then re-installed MB with previous component package. Before this I made 3 changes to the registry, disabled virtual wi-fi mini-port adapter and Bluetooth collaboration for ASUS ac-53 to stop Broadcom driver error codes (The BCM42RLY service failed to start - event id:7000), as I was chasing a driver issue initially.

I never check event viewer unless I have to....life's too short...lol 

mbst-grab-results.zip

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, jweigang said:

Someone mentioned something about hangs being correlated with MBAM automatic definition updates, and the hang patterns I observed match this: Initially, it would take up to two hours for the computer to freeze, but once it had frozen it would re-freeze much more quickly after that--as if the initial wait was for a new definition file to appear (or to be looked for), and after reboot MBAM knew it needed to check and was waiting only a randomizing amount of time.

THAT ^ has been on my mind for a few days. i.e. One of more commonly cited symptoms is an idle computer, and then increasing occurrences of freezing.

Eventually, my system got to the point where it was freezing minutes after boot/logon; whereas the first few freezes took 7-10 hours to occur between restarts.

MBAM definition update bug?

• When did the freeze first start occurring?
    • January 7th. I had not used my PC near the end of 2018 and the first week of January due to being on vacation for the holidays.
  • What were you doing on the computer immediately prior to the latest freeze?
    • Nothing; was letting it idle and complete all startup apps.
  • Did you notice anything significant occur around the time of the latest freeze (e.g. AV notification, application crash, etc)?
    • My Blizzard Battle.net software had initiated a download for a game update. I had Windows Task Manager opened to the Processes tab just before it froze and it showed "AgentUpdater.exe" was the top running process at the time the freeze occurred.
  • Has a freeze occurred when the computer is idle?
    • Yes.
  • Have you noticed a correlation between high network traffic and the computer freezing?
    • Not really; I don't do much on my computer that consumes large network traffic; most of my freezes have been when idle, thought it could be downloading data in the background.
  • How often does the computer freeze?
    • Almost guaranteed to freeze every time from boot up to the desktop within 5 to 15 minutes.
  • Are you able to reproduce the freeze on-demand? If the answer is yes, what are the steps?
    • I can't reproduce the freeze using a specific application (That I'm aware of yet), but I can "reproduce" it simply by leaving my computer on and idle, it will simply freeze on its own.
  • How old is the computer?
    • Was built in 2014 using parts maybe a year or so older.
  • Was the computer upgraded from XP/Vista to Windows 7?
    • No; clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium.
  • Is the computer fully up-to-date with Windows Updates? Which updates have been installed after the first freeze occurred?
    • Computer was up-to-date prior to the first freeze on January 7th. More updates have been installed since then; see attached screenshot below for full list of updates completed post January 7th freeze.
  • Does the computer have multiple network adapters? If it does, what happens when you disable the adapter currently in use and switch to a different adapter?
    • No, just a single wired network adapter.

Updates.jpg

@LiquidTension

I have completed re-installation of the OS/software for the Dell T3610 system which had been freezing.  So far, no freezes or hangs, but read on...

First of all, the current MB definitions on the machine are newer. Is there a way to roll-back my definition file to the 'bad' update package version: 1.0.8663 ?

As it stands now, the MBAM version is:  3.6.1.2711   CP version: 1.0.508   UP version: 1.0.8730   I have a backup system image and restore points for testing.

Other than the above, the only differences between my current system configuration and the previous (freezing) configuration are:

Win 7.1 Ultimate vs  (Enterprise)*
KB patches/rollups
Firefox version
Chrome version

* The only difference between Ultimate & Enterprise is the licensing/activation mechanism. Enterprise uses KMS.

This weekend I will be configuring another Dell system (T5610), and I will use the previous ISO which exhibited freezing (different KB patches). 

At that point, I can provide you with KB 'deltas' between the 2 installs, and perhaps isolate any MS patches with may be contributing to the issue.

15 minutes ago, LAVA said:

First of all, the current MB definitions on the machine are newer. Is there a way to roll-back my definition file to the 'bad' update package version: 1.0.8663 ?

As it stands now, the MBAM version is:  3.6.1.2711   CP version: 1.0.508   UP version: 1.0.8730   I have a backup system image and restore points for testing.

The issue is with the Component Package version 1.0.508 and not with the definitions updates.

My son's computer has been experiencing random freezes since Dec ...

Tried a troubleshooting option with MBs.

->  Created exceptions for web access applications for both the battle.net exe and launcher and also the Overwatch exe and launcher to test if this would make a difference

The Overwatch updates still froze.  Once uninstalled MBs, updates succeeded.  Reinstalled MB, ran Overwatch, it froze in the loading screen.

Random freezes did happen (observed by son):

* as MB does the rootkit scan just after the windows login screen starts the login process

* while watching YouTube videos

* while the computer was performing a Registry Mechanic registry compact function

* while playing Overwatch or other games

* while Discord is loading

* in File Manager or Task Manager or anything

There is no rhyme nor reason for this madness.  As some have noticed, the freezes have become more frequent than back in Dec.  Can't say that it happened after an idle/sleep episode for sure.

As I mentioned previously, the battle.net updater for Overwatch is the repeatable freeze case that we experienced.

We looked at task manager at the time of the freezes on occasion and there were no spikes in memory nor HDD activity like the Jan 2018 MB system crash release.

This leads me to suspect that the Real-Time protection build could the culprit.  It is constantly scanning in the background for ransomware, know attack signatures,  vulnerabilities, etc. ... and could have another memory leak or over-checking when it shouldn't. 

It definitely is crashing before it posts an error to the Application or System Error Logs.  There is nothing there before and after the crash.  Checked both logs.

Its not rocket science in SW troubleshooting (some simplified examples ... hope MB is doing something similar):

1) Create a test environment and find a freeze condition/situation that is repeatable every time on a system affected.

2) Revision check the current release vs the prior release that is working (rollback) and identify the code differences.  What was functionality/checks were added or removed?  What was changed?  What is difference and start with the working release and add functionality back in one by one till the crash is found.

3)Turn on verbose debug trace logging functionally and see how far it gets before the freeze.  ID the module/section that failed and compare against the working version.  ID the cause/causes

4) Try on different HW/SW systems affected.  Is it the same or different?  If different, ID the next module affected.

5) Rinse/Repeat

11 hours ago, LiquidTension said:

Thanks everyone for your continued feedback on the issue. For those affected by the issue, please provide the following information:

• Did you notice anything significant occur around the time of the latest freeze (e.g. AV notification, application crash, etc)?
  • Have you noticed a correlation between high network traffic and the computer freezing?
  • Are you able to reproduce the freeze on-demand? If the answer is yes, what are the steps?
  • Is the computer fully up-to-date with Windows Updates? Which updates have been installed after the first freeze occurred?
  • Does the computer have multiple network adapters? If it does, what happens when you disable the adapter currently in use and switch to a different adapter?

I will refresh what my problem from another thread and give you some info. I have a customer with about 20 workstations. Near the end of November, they started having some computers freezing. I was slowly in the process of upgrading all their computers. Basically, this means going from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro with a new motherboard, RAM, and hard drive. The first few that were freezing I thought was due to some compatibility issue of the motherboard so the fix was easy with the upgrade, and they didn't experience a freeze with MWB installed (WIN 10 machines). Once it appeared to be an MWB issue, I removed MWB on all their machines until you guys have a solid fix/update. This is mostly due to the fact they are moving to a new building and everyone is slammed with work and the fewer headaches during this transition the better (otherwise I would have more time to share and do test for you). All these WIN 7 PRO computers were a fresh install and not upgraded from an older OS, Most current OS updates were installed. They are on a GB network and I think their Internet connection is around 300 down and 20 up. 

Three of the 4 computer experiencing lockups had the same motherboard. It is a Biostar TA75M+ (an older budget board with onboard NIC, and all flashed with the most current BIOS). I'll give details below. So we went along for a couple of weeks with random freezing, and one guy that didn't have a problem started having freezes often (starting early December, about every other day, and sometimes two times a day). His motherboard w/onboard NIC is an MSI a78m-E35. In my log below, I'm calling his Computer #1 and the  Biostar TA75M+ Computer #2.

But before I post this, I have another computer that was reported as freezing (but I will say I didn't do much testing and not confident that the user wasn't jumping on the bandwagon of freezes just to get a new computer). I don't have it listed here but it was an ASRock and Intel CPU. I do have this old board that I can send to you if you want it... has the CPU but no ram and I don't need it back. Since it was so old (and also used as a remote RDP), I just upgraded her and didn't look back. I know it has an onboard NIC, but not sure of the chipset and NIC drivers. Here are the details (probably overkill, but thought I'd give you it all):

COMPUTER #1

Motherboard (w/ onboard NIC): MSI A78M-E35
Realtek PCIe Family Controller #3
Driver Date: 1/19/2018
Driver Version: 7.116.119.2018

Adapter Type    Not Available
Product Type    Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Installed    Yes
PNP Device ID    Not Available
Last Reset    1/9/2019 3:22 AM
Index    12
Service Name    RTL8167
IP Address    Not Available
IP Subnet    Not Available
Default IP Gateway    Not Available
DHCP Enabled    Yes
DHCP Server    Not Available
DHCP Lease Expires    Not Available
DHCP Lease Obtained    Not Available
MAC Address    Not Available

Name    [00000013] Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Adapter Type    Ethernet 802.3
Installed    Yes
PNP Device ID    PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_77211462&REV_0C\4&11E038B&0&0019
Index    13
Service Name    RTL8167
IP Address    192.168.0.153
IP Subnet    255.255.255.0
Default IP Gateway    192.168.0.1
DHCP Enabled    No
MAC Address    44:8A:5B:81:9C:41
I/O Port    0x0000E000-0x0000EFFF
Memory Address    0xFEA00000-0xFEAFFFFF
Memory Address    0xD0800000-0xD08FFFFF
IRQ Channel    IRQ 4294967293
Driver    c:\windows\system32\drivers\rt64win7.sys (7.116.119.2018, 958.94 KB (981,952 bytes), 12/15/2018 1:05 PM)

====================================
====================================
COMPUTER # 2

Motherboard (w/ onboard NIC): Biostar TA75M+
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Driver Date: 1/15/2015
Driver Version: 7.92.115.2015

Name    [00000000] WAN Miniport (SSTP)
Product Type    WAN Miniport (SSTP)
Installed    Yes
PNP Device ID    ROOT\MS_SSTPMINIPORT\0000
Index    0
Service Name    RasSstp
DHCP Enabled    No
Driver    c:\windows\system32\drivers\rassstp.sys (6.1.7600.16385, 82.00 KB (83,968 bytes), 7/13/2009 7:10 PM)

Name    [00000001] WAN Miniport (IKEv2)
Product Type    WAN Miniport (IKEv2)
Installed    Yes
PNP Device ID    ROOT\MS_AGILEVPNMINIPORT\0000
Index    1
Service Name    RasAgileVpn
DHCP Enabled    No
Driver    c:\windows\system32\drivers\agilevpn.sys (6.1.7600.16385, 59.00 KB (60,416 bytes), 7/13/2009 7:10 PM)

Name    [00000002] WAN Miniport (L2TP)
Product Type    WAN Miniport (L2TP)
Installed    Yes
PNP Device ID    ROOT\MS_L2TPMINIPORT\0000
Index    2
Service Name    Rasl2tp
DHCP Enabled    No
Driver    c:\windows\system32\drivers\rasl2tp.sys (6.1.7601.17514, 126.50 KB (129,536 bytes), 11/20/2010 9:24 PM)

Name    [00000003] WAN Miniport (PPTP)
Product Type    WAN Miniport (PPTP)
Installed    Yes
PNP Device ID    ROOT\MS_PPTPMINIPORT\0000
Index    3
Service Name    PptpMiniport
DHCP Enabled    No
Driver    c:\windows\system32\drivers\raspptp.sys (6.1.7601.17514, 108.50 KB (111,104 bytes), 11/20/2010 9:24 PM)

Name    [00000004] WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
Product Type    WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
Installed    Yes
PNP Device ID    ROOT\MS_PPPOEMINIPORT\0000
Index    4
Service Name    RasPppoe
DHCP Enabled    No
Driver    c:\windows\system32\drivers\raspppoe.sys (6.1.7600.16385, 90.50 KB (92,672 bytes), 7/13/2009 7:10 PM)

Name    [00000005] WAN Miniport (IPv6)
Product Type    WAN Miniport (IPv6)
Installed    Yes
PNP Device ID    ROOT\MS_NDISWANIPV6\0000
Index    5
Service Name    NdisWan
DHCP Enabled    No
Driver    c:\windows\system32\drivers\ndiswan.sys (6.1.7601.17514, 160.50 KB (164,352 bytes), 11/20/2010 9:24 PM)

Name    [00000006] WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
Product Type    WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
Installed    Yes
PNP Device ID    ROOT\MS_NDISWANBH\0000
Index    6
Service Name    NdisWan
DHCP Enabled    No
Driver    c:\windows\system32\drivers\ndiswan.sys (6.1.7601.17514, 160.50 KB (164,352 bytes), 11/20/2010 9:24 PM)

Name    [00000007] Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Adapter Type    Ethernet 802.3
Installed    Yes
PNP Device ID    PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_230A1565&REV_06\68010000684CE00000
Index    7
Service Name    RTL8167
IP Address    192.168.0.144
IP Subnet    255.255.255.0
Default IP Gateway    192.168.0.1
DHCP Enabled    No
MAC Address    00:30:67:D5:49:85
I/O Port    0x0000D000-0x0000D0FF
Memory Address    0xF2104000-0xF2104FFF
Memory Address    0xF2100000-0xF2103FFF
IRQ Channel    IRQ 4294967292
Driver    c:\windows\system32\drivers\rt64win7.sys (7.92.115.2015, 954.71 KB (977,624 bytes), 11/23/2018 10:04 PM)

Name    [00000008] WAN Miniport (IP)
Product Type    WAN Miniport (IP)
Installed    Yes
PNP Device ID    ROOT\MS_NDISWANIP\0000
Index    8
Service Name    NdisWan
DHCP Enabled    No

Name    [00000009] Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Adapter Type    Tunnel
Product Type    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Installed    Yes
PNP Device ID    ROOT\*ISATAP\0000
Index    9
Service Name    tunnel
DHCP Enabled    No
Driver    c:\windows\system32\drivers\tunnel.sys (6.1.7601.17514, 122.50 KB (125,440 bytes), 11/20/2010 9:24 PM)

Name    [00000010] RAS Async Adapter
Adapter Type    Wide Area Network (WAN)
Product Type    RAS Async Adapter
Installed    Yes
PNP Device ID    SW\{EEAB7790-C514-11D1-B42B-00805FC1270E}\ASYNCMAC
Index    10
Service Name    AsyncMac
DHCP Enabled    No
MAC Address    20:41:53:59:4E:FF
Driver    c:\windows\system32\drivers\asyncmac.sys (6.1.7600.16385, 22.50 KB (23,040 bytes), 7/13/2009 7:10 PM)

Name    [00000011] Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter
Adapter Type    Tunnel
Product Type    Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter
Installed    Yes
PNP Device ID    ROOT\*TEREDO\0000
Index    11
Service Name    tunnel
DHCP Enabled    No
Driver    c:\windows\system32\drivers\tunnel.sys (6.1.7601.17514, 122.50 KB (125,440 bytes), 11/20/2010 9:24 PM)

When did the freeze first start occurring?

Towards the End of Nov/Beginning of Dec.  They were random ranging from 1-2 times a week (at start) to once a day (middle Dec) to multiple times a day (end Dec/beginning Jan)

What were you doing on the computer immediately prior to the latest freeze?

Trying to run Blizzard's battle.net updater (see below).

Did you notice anything significant occur around the time of the latest freeze (e.g. AV notification, application crash, etc)?

No system/application MB related logs before/after system freeze, no blue screen crash log.  Keyboard and windows would not respond, followed by mouse pointer interaction slowing and lagging to a dead position and complete system unresponsiveness. 

Has a freeze occurred when the computer is idle?

Yes.  It also occurs at random: be it at startup/login after password entered, browsing the web in firefox, watching videos on YouTube, playing games, running programs like Task Manager, MB GUI, Afterburner, Registry Mechanic, etc.

Have you noticed a correlation between high network traffic and the computer freezing?

Yes and No.  It has froze during heavy traffic due to battle.net attempting to update Overwatch/Destiny2/etc or watching YouTube streaming videos in HD.  However, it also froze during less network centric activity running local programs that were not accessing the Network.

How often does the computer freeze?

Again, it is random.  Could be instantly on login, after 5 mins, an hour, a few hours, we even had it run for a day without a freeze.

Are you able to reproduce the freeze on-demand? If the answer is yes, what are the steps?

What really froze the system consistently was when Blizzard games battle.net update utility was patch updating Overwatch.  It would freeze immediately after initiating the update process.  This is where I turned off MB and was able to successfully run through a full update of all games and run freeze free.

How old is the computer?

The Z800 computer was initially released ~2009.   It was used as a software verification system ( for a few years) till I recently (within last year) modded it into a gaming system for son with upgraded 2x SAS 1TB drives, GTX970, new 850W power supply, new 24 GB RAM, and new CPU thermo-paste.  Processor is a single Zeon Z5500 series 2.8GHz quad core.

Specs: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01709726

Was the computer upgraded from XP/Vista to Windows 7?

No; clean install of Windows 7 Enterprise.

Is the computer fully up-to-date with Windows Updates? Which updates have been installed after the first freeze occurred?

Automatic updates keeps the Computer up-to-date throughout the freeze period.

Does the computer have multiple network adapters? If it does, what happens when you disable the adapter currently in use and switch to a different adapter?

• No, wired LAN via a Broadcom (5761) NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Plus NIC.

18 hours ago, LiquidTension said:

Whilst reports of this issue indicate that input is no longer possible after the computer freezes, we'd like to re-explore the possibility of forcing a blue screen immediately after the freeze in an effort to generate a memory dump.

To enable this, please carry out the steps outlined in the article linked below:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/67856-enable-disable-bsod-crash-ctrl-scroll-lock-windows.html

If you witness the computer freeze, immediately hold the right Ctrl button, then press the Scroll Lock key twice. If successful, the machine will blue screen and a file named MEMORY.dmp will be created in %systemroot% (e.g. C:\Windows). Please provide this file to us for analysis.

Having checked today, unlike my own laptop my wife's Dell Latitude 3540 which has been freezing less frequently since 18.12.2018 has been generating Minidump files in Windows Folder. Would these be useful to you and would it be appropriate to zip them up and post here?

1 hour ago, COBKA said:

Having checked today, unlike my own laptop my wife's Dell Latitude 3540 which has been freezing less frequently since 18.12.2018 has been generating Minidump files in Windows Folder. Would these be useful to you and would it be appropriate to zip them up and post here?

Sure, and if they're too large you can upload them somewhere like WeTransfer.com and post the link.  I'm sure the Developers would find them useful in tracking down these issues.

Thanks

"Malwarebytes" has been MALWARE for some time now!! It has been a year since their massive computer lockup error that should never have happened, their excuses be damned! They had bad communication and slow resolution. AND even after it was supposed to be fixed I continued to have problems with later versions.

Now again we have a situation where the cure is WORSE than the disease. This software has caused untold costs in time and money and resources and stress to those of us responsible for keeping computers running smoothly. Their quality assurance process is horrible! Now they have everyone doing extensive diagnostics and wasting even more time. DOWNGRADE the release to fix everyone - ESPECIALLY THOSE PEOPLE THAT STILL DON'T KNOW WHY THEIR COMPUTER IS FREEZING UP!! NOTIFY EVERYONE ON FILE ABOUT THIS!! Do not release a new version until the problem is 100% resolved. Stop using us as your alpha testers!!!!

I agree, with Stop_The_Madness. This is beyond unacceptable. its been a month now, and nothing????? As this person stated, you have had plenty of people sending you information, reports, and everything you ask for, ans still nothing??? Even Microsoft, would have had a fix by now!!! This is why people hate paying for software. The software they are paying for, breaks the system, more then what its supposed to protect you from! I could have gotten rid of virus' , quicker then this!

The problem is:

- only a TINY percentage of the user base are having the problem.

- so far, they have been unable to reproduce it in their labs... the 1st step in solving a problem is to understand it.

I'm reasonably confident that they are doing a great deal behind the scenes to get this resolved. They've offered 2 options to mitigate the issue until then. Choose one & be patient.

Wrong about a "TINY" percentage. Based on the machines I am responsible for this software has a *HIGH* failure rate. Windows 7 is very prevalent and people rely on it to be more stable than newer versions.

If they haven't been able to reproduce this it only means they are very poor at doing so.

They do not have to understand the problem to fix it by downgrading the release. That would fix the problem according to them. WHAT ABOUT THE PEOPLE THAT DO NOT KNOW WHY THEIR COMPUTER IS FREQUENTLY FREEZING?? They don't know to come here and get the downgrade and/or are not technically savvy enough to do so. They cannot choose one of the options and be patient as you suggest!!!

Making excuses for poor performance is a bad thing.

Maintain perspective. I'm referring to the scope of their deployment, not either of ours. If the problem were as widespread as you make it seem, this forum/reddit/et al, would be melting down. AND it would have been fixed by now. In either case, it's not... but I trust they are working hard.

(God, I sound like some of the fanbois on other boards... kill me now! B^).

Anotherconcernedcitizen: A tiny amount of users are affected??? Really?? Have you not seen the post just on this form alone??? Imagine all the people who have no idea, their lock up are because of this. How many other form, have posts about this? How many people, don't bother to post? That was a pathetic response!

Hello,

I was referred here by a tech specialist I was working with to resolve some freezing issues.  In order to help Malwarebytes fix this problem please find the information and logs below.  Thank you.

• Freezes began occurring on 7th January 2019.
    • Blizzard BattleNet Application began updating a couple games such as Heroes of the Storm and Overwatch.
    • The only significant event is when BattleNet attempts to either update the games or when I attempt to reinstall Blizzard games.  Installation was tried with and without the desktop app.  In each event the computer froze and became unresponsive.
    • No.  Freezes only occur when installing or updating games.
    • I have not noticed any correlation between network traffic and freezing.
    • Only when game updates and installations are attempted,
    • The freeze can be reproduced (for me) when I attempt to update or install games through the Blizzard BattleNet desktop app. 
    • The computer is custom built and is roughly 5 years old.
    • No.  The computer was and has always been on Windows 7.
    • The Windows Updates are up to date with the latest being installed during the week of the 7th January.
    • The computer has a built-in wireless adapter and a D-link network adapter.  The built-in adapter has been permanently disabled and has never been used (as it is not strong enough to pick up the wireless signals for some reason).

Should you need more information please let me know.  Thank you and I hope this can be resolved soon.

mbst-grab-results.zip

19 hours ago, Firefox said:

The issue is with the Component Package version 1.0.508 and not with the definitions updates.

I see no indication that has been definitively proved or disproved.  Apparently, MB has not even successfully replicated the issue at their lab, AFAIK.

In my case, only 4 things changed; one being only the definitions (not the CP), plus two minor browser version updates (Chrome & Firefox), and finally the KB patches.

I'm referencing one box: same CPU, hardware, BIOS, chipset, drivers, etc;   only difference between two fresh system installations is listed above. One freezes, one doesn't.

That implies MS patch(es) induced the issue, or a specific combo of KB patches + CP 1.0.508 + def version... as now I have -no- freezes with CP 1.0.508  + UP 1.0.8730 (defs)

Thus, the ability to roll-back to previous definitions might help with isolating the problem. 

This has been the most frustrating computer issue I've ever had to deal with in my entire life. Thank god I finally found the solution on January 1st... A full week before Malwarebytes posted the "solution" of disabling web protection. I've been dealing with this for months and almost went out to get new computer parts thinking it was my ram or hard drive. What Is wrong with companies now-in-days releasing a half baked product that could cause issues this bad for this many people. I probably had to hard reset my computer 5-6 times a day over those months.

Sorry to offend guys... not my intent. I'm sorry. I 1st reported this on ~Dec 7... 2nd such thread IIRC, where I determined (& shared) that disabling Web Protection mitigated the issue. I have been following all subsequent threads closely since. Even when there are multiple discussions on the same subject, most don't take time to read/understand what's going on. Many just go straight to the end & post to vent when a simple '+1' might suffice. It doesn't help. The MBAM folks are aware & have asked for input from all who are willing. If you want the problem fixed, putting your effort there would be more constructive.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 8:37 AM, LiquidTension said:

Thanks everyone for your continued feedback on the issue. For those affected by the issue, please provide the following information:

Sometime in mid December - can't be more precise

Nothing.  Awoke to find PC locked up.  Logs show it occurred around 4 AM that time, but has occurred at all times of day

No.  And I wasted quite some time poring over logs looking for correlations.  Backups, scans, updates - no correlations that I noticed. This is in contrast to the last time I had this issue with MBAM in 2011.  Back then it was conflicting with a backup driver and would freeze at each backup.  No such clarity this time.

Yes.  But also while in use.

Not that I have noticed.

Every 1-2 days, but as many as three times in one day.

No, not at all

Home built of parts with various ages.  Abit IP35Pro motherboard is oldest part - ~10 years old; Crucial SSD about 5 years old. But ran many HW diagnostics on all systems and all passed.

Yes. Have not reinstalled clean windows in a very, very long time.

Yes. Latest updates to 64 bit Windows 7 Professional include KB4480970 and KB4481480 Security and Quality Rollups.  All available updates are installed.

Abit MB has two identical Realtek PCI GBE ports.  Also have a Cisco AnyConnect VPN driver that installs as a third network adapter in Windows