MAXBAR1

Editing posts: problems

As you can see from the screenshot that I have attached, I'm no longer given, now for a couple of months, the ability to edit my posts, should I notice errors, even when my posts have just been published.
Can you solve?
Thank you
Massimiliano1845687961_Malwarebytesforumsscreenshot.thumb.jpg.257bd58a7a2af467629a3bf6c397aeb9.jpg

Hi @MAXBAR1

I'm sorry but post editing has been removed from all members due to extensive spam attacks. When editing there is a little magnifying glass on a sheet of paper that you can click to get a preview of what your post will look like before you actually click submit.

message_preview.jpg

Please give that a try and let us know if that helps.

Thank you

Ron

My early experiences attempting to contribute to the forum were excruciatingly poor.

This loss of functionality, now, is lousy (but not excruciating). What's the plan to restore functionality?

For regular members there is no change expected. The vast majority of users come here to get help and then leave, often not returning. For those members that do stick around and try well to help others and not just post frivolous posts they are often moved into a higher level group where this restriction does not apply. We used to base it on the amount of posts but found that certain members were not helpful and just posted to raise their post count. We now look at quality of posts vs amount of posts to determine if or when we add members to a higher level group.

I have to say, as a new member, that not being able to edit posts after you've submitted them is really annoying!
Most forums I belong to do have restrictions on editing, like you can only do it within a certain time, but I know of no others where editing is not permitted at all.
Not being able to correct typos is particularly annoying.
I'm not quite sure how disallowing editing actually deters spammers.
Surely if the spammer can post, they will anyway, and they don't care about editing their posts in the first place.
I see there are restrictions in place on rapid posting, where you have to wait until you can post again, and that's a perfectly valid anti-spam measure, but I don't see how stopping editing helps at all!
Cheers, Dave.
🙂

Spammers will create what appear to be innocent/legitimate posts and then later return to edit their previous posts to inject spam links/content into them.  It's a behavior we've seen many times and is the reason the forum administrators created this policy.

Yeah, it's a real bummer (and can definitely be a pain for regular members).  It was actually an issue that forum admins debated on for a very long time (months if not years) until finally giving up and setting up more restrictive policies/settings because the spam had gotten so bad.  At one point we were seeing daily spam floods of countless posts from spam bots with tons of new spam accounts being created almost constantly.  When they finally set up all these new filters, rules and policies it cut the spam down to nearly 0 and made the forums a lot easier to manage and keep clean of spam.

It really does suck that they had to compromise so much functionality to do it, but the alternative was to have the forum mods and admins constantly being distracted from actually helping people because they were having to continually deal with the spam bots and spam posts.

I wish I was able to edit my submitted post hence I could correct spelling and grammar errors. Now I feel a bit missing myself here after making typo mistakes when being prevented from editing them even immediately.

Hello @kimiraikkonen

I'm sorry but post editing has been removed from all members due to extensive spam attacks. When editing there is a little magnifying glass on a sheet of paper that you can click to get a preview of what your post will look like before you actually click submit.

message_preview.jpg

Please give that a try and let us know if that helps.

Thank you

Ron

Kudos to AdvancedSetup for pointing out the Preview button on the editor toolbar (don't know why I didn't notice that before!!) but I have to agree that it's very frustrating that "regular" users can't edit their posts in this forum.

If users who have safely posted a certain number of posts (e.g., after their first 50 or 100 posts without being reported to Forum Mods) and have had an active account for over one year were given edit privileges, would spammers still try to circumvent that scenario? I suppose there are a few fake tech support companies and other spammers who might create a new account and then leave it dormant for over a year, but on balance I can't imagine there are many spammers who would bother to do this.

33 minutes ago, lmacri said:

I suppose there are a few fake tech support companies and other spammers who might create a new account and then leave it dormant for over a year, but on balance I can't imagine there are many spammers who would bother to do this.

You might be surprised.

On a forum I used to mod we would get 50 or so new registrations each day that didn't post anything.

Checking their profiles they were obvious spammers.
Most of them had an advertising link as their homepage, others would post spam six months or so later if we left them there.

I call those with homepage links SEO spammers, the idea is that they post the spam link to be seen by the search engines in the hope of improving that links ranking.
By not actually making a spam post they hope to avoid moderation.
It doesn't work, the search engines know how to weed them out so even though they are found on a search they don't affect rankings.
But people still pay these dodgy SEO companies to improve their rankings, never imagining that they are paying someone to post spam.
The SEO then says to them 'Search for your website in google (bing,yahoo,whatever) and see how many times it is found now, haven't we done a good job'.

Yeah, I loathe SEO.  The entire premise of ranking sites based on how many other sites refer to/link to them is obnoxious in my opinion and doesn't serve to provide the best quality/most relevant search results in many/most scenarios, not to mention the obvious opportunity for abuse (i.e. spam and loading up sites with completely useless/irrelevant "keywords" embedded in the pages), especially these days with so many trash websites out there and aggressive sales affiliates (you ever try looking up an unknown file to see if it might be malware these days?).

Eventually companies like Google are going to have to seriously reassess how they rank search results because the current system is broken badly.  I generally know how to sift through the results and filter out the garbage, but often times you just can't find what you're looking for unless you get really creative and really specific on what it is that you're after, and even then many searches yield no useful results at all and you end up having to give up or improvise a different solution or angle of attack.

It's the old GIGO problem.

And let's face(book?) it, there's a lot of G on the web these days.