ottchris

ESET + Malwarebytes using up resources

To muddy the water, for the last few days, I have seen some occasions of ESET (not AVAST) services running at 25% CPU seemingly forever, until I quit Malwarebytes that is. Restart MB and all back to normal again. Just got around to checking here so haven't tried disabling MB web protection or any other workaround apart from quitting/restarting MB. Only offering this as an observation for the moment, i.e. not expecting any assistance as haven't uploaded any logs etc.

2 minutes ago, ottchris said:

To muddy the water, for the last few days, I have seen some occasions of ESET (not AVAST) services running at 25% CPU seemingly forever, until I quit Malwarebytes that is. Restart MB and all back to normal again. Just got around to checking here so haven't tried disabling MB web protection or any other workaround apart from quitting/restarting MB. Only offering this as an observation for the moment, i.e. not expecting any assistance as haven't uploaded any logs etc.

Sounds familiar.  In the past when Malwarebytes and Avast were having similar issues/conflicts, ESET also showed similar problems.  I suspect that whatever fix resolved that former issue will also resolve this one and that the current resurgence of these issues is due to some kind of regression or similar change that has caused a similar set of circumstances to occur.

28 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Sounds familiar.  In the past when Malwarebytes and Avast were having similar issues/conflicts, ESET also showed similar problems.  I suspect that whatever fix resolved that former issue will also resolve this one and that the current resurgence of these issues is due to some kind of regression or similar change that has caused a similar set of circumstances to occur.

Much appreciated. Will see if I can spot the trigger when the issue next occurs. 

It's likely related to Web Protection.  I believe if you disable the web shield in ESET it will go away (at least until it is fixed again by the Malwarebytes Devs).  That is assuming I'm right and that I'm remembering this particular issue accurately.

If you could gather logs from any affected systems using the Malwarebytes Support Tool that could be helpful as well:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Thanks

I split this topic out to reduce confusion in the existing thread. Please provide the logs mentioned above so we can troubleshoot what's going on.