rubberswip

Real time threat map

8 hours ago, Amaroq_Starwind said:

I want a Malwarebytes Screensaver that includes a real-time threat map.

That would be cool.  I seem to recall some kind of screensaver that would show some sort of live data map like that, though I don't recall where I got it or what type of data it showed (I think it might have been related to weather, like lightning strikes or something like that).

Well if you know how to write such things, you could probably make one based on it, assuming its data is accessible via such methods (like how desktop gadgets/screensavers etc. pull live weather data from weather reporting sites, RSS feeds and the like).

I would not use such a screen saver on my computer, I believe it would put undue stress on my system, the resources to constantly be refreshing that data...

20 minutes ago, Firefox said:

I would not use such a screen saver on my computer, I believe it would put undue stress on my system, the resources to constantly be refreshing that data...

447473034_a.GIF.12d4d39a81035e3eddb0836190b966ba.GIF

It really depends on the efficiency of the thing.  Rendering web content live on the desktop or in a screensaver really isn't very resource intensive at all generally speaking (speaking from first-hand experience here having used live updating desktop gadgets, screensavers and desktop backgrounds for years off and on since the XP days and on every OS from XP to 7).

As long as their web code is sufficiently light on resources it wouldn't be any worse than having it actively loaded in your browser (which I've personally done countless times, often forgetting that it was there, allowing it to run for hours and seeing no drag on my system/CPU usage which I monitor constantly via a tray application that shows usage, speed and thermals for my CPU).

If you're super worried about system resource use, bundle it with CleanMem to automatically handle any memory leaks (system-wide, even), and set all the CPU thread priorities for the Screensaver to Idle. You can also write it in raw x86-64, i486 or ARM64 assembly, make the program PAE-aware (on a system driver level), and use Large Memory Pages.

I only install what I need on my systems, don't need any extra JUNK on my systems.... ;)

The issue with screen savers like this is they do use up resources on the systems, heck I have even seen build in windows screen savers peg out a system to a craw... removed screen saver and system was flawless.