Crashes, bsods & non-protection

Go to solution Solved by dcollins,

For the last 4 month or so I also have experienced these incidents and since Mbam had worked flawlessly with Avast, we never suspected this problem. At first it was only every once in a while, but then increased in frequency, with a bsod on every first reboot and non-protection of one or the other (not always the same) shields.

Figured out that if I shut down Avast altogether, then installed Mbam, then reactivated Avast, all would be good until the next reboot, which set me back to firstly the bsod on the first reboot attempt (the second was a go) and a steady non-protection of one or more of the shields. I had run the support tool on myriad occasion and it did not help.

Not being an extremely pc-savvy person, I had hoped to fix this issue without diving into major fact-finding. I therefore uninstalled Avast (since it seemed that Mbam had issues with Avast) and installed Bitdefender, only to run into the same non-protection of both, malware and ransomware, with the only improvement being that there is no bsod on the first reboot. The exclusions for Mbam were entered into Bitdefender, with the exception of C:\Windows\System32\drivers\farflt.sys , which cannot be found on my pc. Also Bitdefender is entered in the exclusion on Mbam.

Attached plse find the logs for the tool-scans. Any help will be muchly appreciated, since I would hate to let go of Mbam, which has been so helpful over many years.

mbst-grab-results.zip

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab
    Repair menu_arrows.png

7. Click the Gather Logs button
    Advanced_arrows.png

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    Advanced Gather Logs_arrows.png

9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Advanced Gather Logs completed_arrows.png

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

I noticed a few items in your logs which may explain the issue you're experiencing with protection.  First, User Account Control is disabled, and since Malwarebytes was designed to be fully compliant with UAC, it is possible that having it disabled may cause the program to behave in unexpected ways and not to function properly, so I would advise enabling it/resetting it back to its default setting, at least to test and see if it makes any difference (you'll need to re-enable UAC, restart the system, then reinstall Malwarebytes; please refer to the instructions below on how to do this):

First, reset UAC by following the instructions found in this Microsoft support article, then restart your PC and do the following to perform a clean installation of Malwarebytes (this should address the root cause of the issue, which according to the logs, is the fact that one of Malwarebytes' drivers is missing (the one required for Ransomware Protection), and another is not running as it should be (the one for the Malware Protection component).  It is possible that either UAC being disabled caused the installer/drivers to malfunction/not install properly, and/or Bitdefender or some other process/issue caused it, however resetting UAC and reinstalling should fix it:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall Malwarebytes, either by allowing the tool to do so when it offers to on restart, or by downloading and installing the latest version from here

Once that's done, restart your system to ensure that it starts up properly.  If it does, then everything should now be OK and you may try disabling UAC again if you wish (though I'd strongly advise against it since UAC is a very powerful tool for system security to help shield your system from outside attacks from hackers and malware threats, and again, may cause issues with modern software which are generally all designed to function with UAC enabled).

Please let us know how it goes and if the issue persists, but hopefully that should correct the issue.

Hi exile360,

Many thanks for taking up my cause :) . I enabled UAC by pushing the slider to the default setting and okaying the change, rebooted, re/dl the tool and ran it. However, I still have the two protection shields off,  but no more bsods on reboot. I also, still do not have the farflt driver, and I cannot force an exclusion in bitdefender without the driver being present.

I have apphended a new tool-scan, in case it is needed.

mbst-grab-results.zip

Your underlying issue looks to be a system resource error according to the Windows errors below. If you remove Bitdefender, does the issue go away by chance?

Description: The MBAMProtection service failed to start due to the following error: 
Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

Thanks dccollins. I have uninstalled Bitdefender (I do not want to stay with that av anyway) and now Mbam is working correctly, but I would like to go back to Avast as well if that is at all possible. Do you know if there is a way to make the 2 compatible again ?? They did play nice for a looong time.

Thanks for the follow up. As for the Avast issue, the two programs should be compatible, we haven't heard of any big incompatibility between the two in awhile (there was an issue from Avast a few months ago, but they quickly released a patch to resolve the issue). That being said, our latest release is seeing a few (very few, as in 6) reports from people with Avast where their machines are locking up requiring them to power down the machine using the power button. Based on the numbers though, you should be ok to install Avast.