f14tomcat

CU 1.0.508 causing lag in Win 10 Sign-on

I have hibernate disabled with my SSD, so there is no fast startup option to disable. There's another thread where Windows 7 users are having similar issues of slow performance with 10508. I've switched the Ransomware Module back on, but setting the start delay to 30 seconds, which also has worked,.  I have Avast (Free version) which some suggest may be a factor, but also noticed the problem of accessing Microsoft Office files has also returned again, whether that's linked to all this, I don't know.

Hopefully a fix will come out shortly.

I have the same problem running the latest pro version on win10 x64pro. If I disable the Malwarebytes service in msconfig, I have a normally running machine. If I uninstall Malwarebytes, likewise a normally running machine. If I load Malwarebytes on startup (no delay) with all protection enabled, logon screen is delayed. mouse pointer completely erratic then slow and jerky, desktop loads slowly and all functions are at snail pace. If I deactivate license, normal operation. I have uninstalled, reinstalled all to no avail. If I turn off Ransomware protection, normal machine. If I turn it back on after the fact machine appears normal. This is a completely new and aggravating phenomenon after previous uneventful use.

How to fix?

Would love to hear some update on this.  I realize the Holidays and all.  I just need to touch base to let you know I am still having the issue.  3 days ago, I did a clean install of the OS (1809), bare metal up.  All updates, all security patches, all everything.  No change...same issue as described in Post #1, and by a few others here.  Looking forward to an update.  Happy New year to you all!  😊

26 minutes ago, f14tomcat said:

Would love to hear some update on this.  I realize the Holidays and all.  I just need to touch base to let you know I am still having the issue.  3 days ago, I did a clean install of the OS (1809), bare metal up.  All updates, all security patches, all everything.  No change...same issue as described in Post #1, and by a few others here.  Looking forward to an update.  Happy New year to you all!  😊

Have you tried to add exclusions in both Defender for Malwarebytes and in Malwarebytes for Defender? I use the exclusions and do not have the same issue. (Have not ever not had the exclusions so I can't tell you how my system will react without them.)

I have no issues.   Running a 4th gen I7 32gig mem and a SSD with fast start disabled.

On 1/4/2019 at 9:26 PM, Porthos said:

Have you tried to add exclusions in both Defender for Malwarebytes and in Malwarebytes for Defender? I use the exclusions and do not have the same issue. (Have not ever not had the exclusions so I can't tell you how my system will react without them.)

I have no issues.   Running a 4th gen I7 32gig mem and a SSD with fast start disabled.

No, Jerry, I have not.  Never had the need to exclude one from the other.  All has run fine for a long time, until this 1.0.508 update.  I'd hate to think I'd have to resort to a workaround as a permanent solution.  Something changed to cause this.  Delaying the Ransomware component 15 seconds at startup is my current workaround.  I and others do have this issue, it's real.  I sincerely hope that after a month it has not been simply shelved with no activity.  I have supplied everything asked for.  I do not know what else to do except keep asking for a progress report.

35 minutes ago, f14tomcat said:

Never had the need to exclude one from the other. 

I have been doing that forever on every computer I service. I do it "just in case" especially now with Windows bi-yearly upgrades. I would rather be safe than sorry and avoid calls from clients. 

9 hours ago, Porthos said:

I have been doing that forever on every computer I service. I do it "just in case" especially now with Windows bi-yearly upgrades. I would rather be safe than sorry and avoid calls from clients. 

OK, I will give it a try, although it's not my preferred way of getting it fixed.  Hope you understand.   Just so I can get it right the first time, would you mind posting the exact entries?  Would be helpful.  I know the mechanics of doing it.  Thanks.

3 minutes ago, f14tomcat said:

OK, I will give it a try, although it's not my preferred way of getting it fixed.  Hope you understand.   Just so I can get it right the first time, would you mind posting the exact entries?  Would be helpful.  I know the mechanics of doing it.  Thanks.

Malwarebytes 3 files to be set as exclusions in other security software.

The program folder for your AV (generally under Program Files or Program Files (x86)) as well as the data folder for your AV, usually under C:\ProgramData should be excluded from Malwarebytes.  You may also exclude any drivers etc. that belong to your AV from Malwarebytes, for example the driver files stored under C:\Windows\System32\drivers that belong to your AV (don't exclude the entire folder, just the individual driver files belonging to your AV) which can be determined using a tool such as MS Sysinternals Autoruns (under the Drivers tab; it should list your AV vendor as the company name/in the description column).

2019-01-10_08h24_41.thumb.png.f52e1968109915d02e7bf2cd91d1c9cf.png2019-01-10_08h25_54.thumb.png.532ce0b82fa0e1b5a5a9a10a5b66ef80.png2019-01-10_08h27_35.png.d10afd8020b3591d1ecbc81536578de2.png

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

1 hour ago, exile360 said:

The program folder for your AV (generally under Program Files or Program Files (x86)) as well as the data folder for your AV, usually under C:\ProgramData should be excluded from Malwarebytes.  You may also exclude any drivers etc. that belong to your AV from Malwarebytes, for example the driver files stored under C:\Windows\System32\drivers that belong to your AV (don't exclude the entire folder, just the individual driver files belonging to your AV) which can be determined using a tool such as MS Sysinternals Autoruns (under the Drivers tab; it should list your AV vendor as the company name/in the description column).

I have entered all the exclusions per your posts and docs.  For MBAM and Defender.  Turned off the 15 second delay.  Just to be sure, shutdown, disconnected power, and bled the capacitors with the power button. 😉

Powered up and booted.  2 seconds delay getting login box, followed by 12 seconds of "Welcome", "Waiting for User Profile Service", "Preparing Windows", etc.  Same as before, nothing changed.  Set 15 second realtime delay and rebooted.  Instant login box.  <1 second to desktop.  

I will keep the exclusions in place for their other benefits, but they appear to not have made a difference with this issue.

I posted a while back my profile link on Tenforums if you need to see the hardware config.  Jerry (Porthos) can easily get to it.

I'll wait for any response ans help.  Thanks.

2019-01-10_08h24_41.thumb.png.f52e1968109915d02e7bf2cd91d1c9cf.png

5 hours ago, f14tomcat said:

I posted a while back my profile link on Tenforums if you need to see the hardware config.  Jerry (Porthos) can easily get to it.

Got me beat by a million miles with hardware.

18 hours ago, f14tomcat said:

Delaying the Ransomware component 15 seconds at startup is my current workaround. 

Keep the delay.

The only thing that crossed my mind is your triple boot setup but I have not even dual boot in a very long time.

Possibly when the other ransomware fixes are done it will fix your issues as well.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your continued patience. We are still investigating this issue and will provide an update as soon as we have one.

In the meantime, it would be helpful to obtain a fresh set of troubleshooting logs from all affected users. Instructions here:
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/190532-having-problems-using-malwarebytes-please-follow-these-steps/

In addition, please confirm the following:

• Does setting Malwarebytes Real-Time Protection to delayed start (open Malwarebytes > Settings > Protection > Startup Options) resolve the issue? 
    • If it does, does changing the delay time have any impact?
  • Do you have fast startup enabled? Does enabling/disabling this have any impact?
  • What are the results of performing a clean boot (whilst leaving Malwarebytes Service enabled/checked)?

I will try those steps as time permits.  Fast startup is off, no hiberfil.sys.  Setting delay to 15 seconds does work, that is my current workaround.  Don't understand changing that time, 15 is as low as it will go.  I will get a fresh set of logs when I can.

Would like to mention at this point that I just received the new component package, 1.0.519, and I tested with it.  Removing the 15 second delay and rebooting produced exactly the same lag results, no change whatsoever. 

2019-01-11_18h17_04.thumb.png.dd268901498f5dc6d497a60314ae1833.png

@LiquidTension

Last chore completed.  The clean boot scenario.

1) With all user services disabled except MalwareBytes, and all Task Manager Startup Items disabled, the result was the same....  short 2 second delay for Login Box.  After PIN entry, "Welcome", "Waiting on User Profile Service", "Preparing Windows" - 12 seconds to Desktop.

2) As an extra step, after putting everything back to normal, I set the MalwareBytes service to Automatic (Delayed Start), removed the 15 second delay in Protection setting, and rebooted.  Instant Login box, and <2 seconds to Desktop.  MBAM took forever to initialize (expected), but came up normal.  It did seem to mess up the Defender icon in the Task Bar, though.  Icon was invisible, but empty space was showing text on hover-over, and was clickable.  May be just a fluke this time, though never have seen that before.

All exclusions are in both MBAM and Defender.

IMO, lot of things pointing to the MBAM service itself.  That's just a S.W.A.G.  😉

Hope to hear back..... f14tomcat