MAXBAR1

Information about Malwarebytes for macOS

I wanted to know some information about the product in question:
Does Malwarebytes for macOS have detection only for signatures (such as apple xprotect) of known threats or does it use several different methods?
It also protects against so-called zero-day threats?
Is it sufficient, along with the protections inherent in the operating system, or would it be better to work with other products?
I ask these things after deepening the cyber security topic on various articles of your blog.

Perhaps in the past I have asked similar questions but the product has evolved over time and I wanted to know more about the current situation.
I use macOS 10.14.1 and Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.27
PS: I hope you get a web protection for Safari as soon as possible.

Thanks for everything
Greetings
Massimiliano

I won't even try to answer most of your questions since the developer is the only one that has complete information about current capabilities.

I think I can say that it any protection against zero-day threats would be purely accidental. There could be an element of some currently known malware that gets re-used by a new variant, so that would be found, but that's about it. I've heard there are plans for future AI capabilities for the Mac version, which may be of benefit, but only time will tell.

Other AV software suites do attempt to provide some zero-day protection, but very few have shown success in that area. I realize nobody wants to be the first person to discover something new, but the chance of that being you is extremely small, especially if you observe some basic safe computing practices.

IMHO, Malwarebytes is sufficient protection, as an addition to that built into macOS for most users. If you decide you need use a something more thorough (and probably more expensive) because you frequent sketchy sites, choose to ignore warnings or disable built-in protective measures, then it almost certainly will adversely impact your computing experience (CPU and RAM utilization). But if you do decide to add an additional product, make sure that only one of them is doing background scanning to prevent them from mutually interfering with each other. I have half a dozen different products installed for testing purposes, but only one in background mode.

Thank you for the first clarifications; I hope someone else can add further information.
I think they added that AI form you mentioned would be optimal.
I am looking forward to a web protection at least for Safari, the only browser I use on macOS; I currently block ads with ka-block and I do not visit torrent sites, Softonic and similar sites

45 minutes ago, MAXBAR1 said:

I am looking forward to a web protection at least for Safari, the only browser I use on macOS

I guess I need to point out that Safari has always had built-in web protection provided by Google Safe Browsing, as long as you have it enabled in Safari Preferences->Security. 

The Malwarebytes beta extensions for Chrome and Firefox have suffered a lot of False Positives, which is probably why they are still in beta, so I would expect there will be some growing pains with the Safari extension when it becomes available.

43 minutes ago, alvarnell said:

The Malwarebytes beta extensions for Chrome and Firefox have suffered a lot of False Positives, which is probably why they are still in beta, so I would expect there will be some growing pains with the Safari extension when it becomes available.

In addition to integrated safari protection:

I personally use Malwarebytes for iOS which has a web protection and did not give me any problems and always Safari is about.
Possibly, I do not know if it's possible, to have a web protection similar to that of Malwarebytes for Windows therefore not with extensions but internally to MBAM

5 minutes ago, MAXBAR1 said:

I personally use Malwarebytes for iOS which has a web protection and did not give me any problems and always Safari is about.

You can't really compare Malwarebytes for iOS with a macOS Safari Extension. I suppose the same whitelist/blacklist database can be used, but coding for the executables will be much different.

Similarly, you can't compare the Windows OS with macOS with regard to MBAM implementation.

I had extreme issues with Malwarebytes for iOS Advanced Web Protection last week and have shut it down until they find and fix the server problem.

I was not talking about the equality of the different products and the implementation of the code of the different products but of the availability of similar functions.
Personally on iOS I had no problem. It will be because from iPhone I do not do particular research but I visit sites that I follow with frequency.
What I would like to point out is that many times Malwarebytes for Windows has blocked websites, as dangerous, and Google Safe Browsing has not even dreamed of reporting them as such.

I can say that Malwarebytes for Mac does not currently have any kind of machine learning detection. We have been looking at that, but it would have to provide more benefit than it causes problems, which is tricky on the Mac where new malware is far less common. A high false positive rate with few legitimate detections would not provide a good user experience.

We're exploring other options as well to strengthen detections without causing false positives.

Regarding device-wide web protection or a Safari browser extension, I can't say when either may come at this point, but we do want to do both. Apple has thrown a bit of a wrench into the works with the Safari extension, as Mojave has dropped support (mostly) for the older-style Safari extensions. I suspect (though don't know for sure yet) that the new Safari app extensions will be more limited, and more similar to an iOS content blocking extension.

Thank you for the clarifications
I hope that you will be able to implement further protections.
In iOS on the other hand there are both ad-block and web protection so by itself it would not be bad.
At the moment I use ka-block! as ad-blocker (on macOS)
Please let me know if it is a valid product or if there is something better; for me the important thing is that it does not have privileges to read and transmit contents from web pages (like the one I use now)
With this one restriction I am open to any improvement.

P.S .: for some time now I have not been able to edit a post from the beginning after the publication: only the choice quote appears to me

Not exactly sure what you mean by "valid product" here. ka-block! was one of the first of the newly designed Safari Extensions that Apple approved for use in the iOS App Store, so from Apple's perspective I believe they consider it to be valid.

Ratings show almost as many one stars as there are 5 stars, so clearly users have mixed feelings about it. But several other new ad-blocking extensions that are paid show even worse ratings.

I tried it for awhile and it seemed to work well. I mostly still use uBlock Origin, despite all the warnings from Apple about it.