Amaroq_Starwind

Using current beta alongside MBAM 3 Premium?

Is it possible to use the current Anti-Rootkit Beta alongside the Premium version of Malwarebytes 3? And if so, would there actually be any benefit or complications to doing this? Same question applies with the current Anti-Exploit Beta.

Thanks in advance!

Hi @Amaroq_Starwind- For the Anti-Rootkit Beta, you could, but there would be limited value in doing so. The only occasions where it might be useful is with specific infections which prevent Malwarebytes for Windows from running. For those situations, we have a special version as shown in this help topic
https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1267

That only works on some specific rootkits though. This won't help for many of the most recent variants the SmartService rootkit.

Basically, using MBAR is not necessary if you have Malwarebytes for Windows.

For the question about Anti-Exploit, I think you'd be better off asking in the Anti-Exploit subforum.

Thanks for the OP for bring this to our attention!😃

I've been running the dedicated MBAR Beta alongside of MBAM Pro for years, now see it's not needed. However, will still use the tool on the few w/out active MBAM protection, or family & friends who depends on me for assistance. I keep a few other portable tools along with MBAR on a dedicated & sanitized USB stick (using the HP USB format tool) after each use on a computer, clean or not, to prevent cross contamination between computers. There's always the chance the USB stick could be infected with anything else. 

However, I recommend MBAM Premium for all Windows users, prevention is always easier than cure & I see it every day during my online usage. There'll usually be messages where a site has been blocked for various reasons. 

At any rate, am happy that I now no longer need to run MBAR Beta daily! My figuring was being a long scan dedicated to rootkits, that it was a better tool versus the usual Threat scan I have scheduled to run hourly.😂

Cat

5 hours ago, Amaroq_Starwind said:

I admit, it would be nice if the Scan for Rootkits option in Malwarebytes 3 was enabled by default.

Numerous members are not fond of any default action that impedes the basic manual/scheduled Threat Scan. 

Edited by 1PW

The total run time of a manual/scheduled Threat Scan is increased when the scan's Rootkit option is invoked.

I think that as long as you don't enable the option for the scheduled scan itself in the scheduled scan edit dialog under the advanced section, the scheduled scan will still run normally, without rootkit scanning enabled even if the rootkit scanning option is enabled under the main settings area.