KIOPN Ransomware - GandCrab

Hello, we recently found ourselves infected with a KIOPN Ransomware, telling us to send money by logging onto https://torproject.org/  and follow the instructions to decrypt one file.

Here is my situation, I have one computer where it only effected the public files, and it seems as it did not get into the main drive of the computer. 

Malware-bytes does not see it, after several scans, it comes up negative. 

How would i remove it from the "Public Files" and feel safe that it did not migrate to the rest of the computer and computers.  I also notice it seems to shut down or change the system recovery.  As it will not let me go back to a earlier date, rather it reads "Instructions on how to turn on recovery"

1822215804_IMG_20181128_14524611.jpg.caaff48e40853ceceb6f3f66f126703e.jpg1283990964_IMG_20181128_14524021.thumb.jpg.546df6ae29c761f00f76754d724eb2ec.jpg

IMG_20181128_1452271[1].jpg

• tetonbob changed the title to KIOPN Ransomware - GandCrab
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Thank you for the follow-up reply @1_Tony_1

Sadly, there is no method to recover the files at this time. Often there are components of the infection that can be removed, but restoring the data cannot be done. Though, formatting the drive and reinstalling Windows is surely the best, safest choice.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/669484/gandcrab-ransomware-help-support-topic-gdcb-crab-crab-decrypttxt/

I would highly suggest that you ensure you have all personal data backed up daily to an external USB drive and when done backing up disconnect the drive. One should not leave the drive connected just in case there is some type of attack that gets by on the system.

Backup Software

Thank you again. I'll go ahead and close your topic now, but if you do need any further assistance please let us know.

Have a great weekend.

Ron