Sudden sporadic BSOD due to Malwarebytes

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings,

While you're waiting on a fix, you may supplement the disabled Web Protection component by installing the Malwarebytes browser extension beta which is available for Chrome (and other Chromium based browsers like SRWare Iron and Vivaldi) as well as Firefox.  It uses the same malicious site lists as the Web Protection in Malwarebytes Premium but also blocks many ads, tracking servers (to protect privacy), clickbait sites/links, and also includes behavior based blocking for tech support scam sites and phishing sites (to block those which are as of yet unknown to the Malwarebytes Research team).  The only downside is that it only shields the web browser it is installed in rather than your entire system the way that Web Protection does.  That said, once the issue you're experiencing with Web Protection is resolved you may continue to use the browser extension alongside it as it was designed to be fully compatible with the Web Protection in Malwarebytes Premium, and it may also speed up your browsing because it handles redirects to the Malwarebytes block page when malicious sites are blocked (even when they are blocked by Web Protection) and since it is in the browser, the redirect process occurs much more quickly.

You may find more information and download the extension at the following links:

Chrome
Firefox

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, LiquidTension said:

Thank you for your patience, enyceedanny.

We believe we have a fix for this blue screen that is currently in test. If everything goes according to plan, it should be available in the next installer update. I will respond back to this topic once the update is released.

Taking longer than I had anticipated, but I guess progress is progress. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

We've just released a new beta version of Malwarebytes.

Details can be found here: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/242033-mb37-beta/

Are you interested in giving this a try? We'd love to hear how you get on this this version and if you still experience the same issue or not. To install this beta version, please refer to the steps below.

• Open Malwarebytes and click Settings followed by the Application tab.
  • Scroll down to Beta Application Updates and turn the option On.
  • Click OK when prompted.
  • Scroll back up and click Install Application Updates.

I've updated it. Had my computer on throughout the night. Woke up and checked, the computer was frozen, had to hard reset.

On 1/30/2019 at 7:07 AM, LiquidTension said:

Hello,

We've just released a new beta version of Malwarebytes.

Details can be found here: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/242033-mb37-beta/

Are you interested in giving this a try? We'd love to hear how you get on this this version and if you still experience the same issue or not. To install this beta version, please refer to the steps below.

• Open Malwarebytes and click Settings followed by the Application tab.
  • Scroll down to Beta Application Updates and turn the option On.
  • Click OK when prompted.
  • Scroll back up and click Install Application Updates.

Is this the first time the system has frozen since the machine started blue screening?

To confirm, have the blue screens now stopped with version 3.7 installed?

Please carry out the instructions in the topic linked below so we can see what's going on:
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/190532-having-problems-using-malwarebytes-please-follow-these-steps/

Edited by LiquidTension

10 hours ago, LiquidTension said:

Is this the first time the system has frozen since the machine started blue screening?

To confirm, have the blue screens now stopped with version 3.7 installed?

Please carry out the instructions in the topic linked below so we can see what's going on:
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/190532-having-problems-using-malwarebytes-please-follow-these-steps/

I had web protection off, so no BSOD with it off. And like I said, with the latest beta update, it still crashed. 

Ugh.. Gotta do those again? I've done it about 3 times so far.. This is getting a bit frustrating. I'll do it when I can spare a few..

12 hours ago, enyceedanny said:

I had web protection off, so no BSOD with it off. And like I said, with the latest beta update, it still crashed. 

Ugh.. Gotta do those again? I've done it about 3 times so far.. This is getting a bit frustrating. I'll do it when I can spare a few..

Just to be clear, are we talking about the machine blue screening or the machine freezing/locking up? These are two different issues. Your post here mentions the machine was frozen.

If you turn Web Protection on with the 3.7 beta, do you encounter any blue screens?

We need to establish if the only issue you're encountering with the 3.7 beta is system freezes.

On 2/5/2019 at 8:57 AM, LiquidTension said:

Just to be clear, are we talking about the machine blue screening or the machine freezing/locking up? These are two different issues. Your post here mentions the machine was frozen.

If you turn Web Protection on with the 3.7 beta, do you encounter any blue screens?

We need to establish if the only issue you're encountering with the 3.7 beta is system freezes.

I'm talking about BSOD resulting in a bugcheck in the event viewer. And yes, after updating to 3.7 beta, I turned on web protection - and it BSOD.

Okay, thank you.

Since updating to 3.7, the only issue encountered is a blue screen. And this only occurs with Web Protection enabled. If you disable Web Protection, the blue screen does not occur.

Please let me know if any of the statement above is not accurate.

-----

Please make sure you have the latest 3.7.1 version installed (components package 1.0.538). The installer can be downloaded from the following link: https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3

If the machine still blue screens with Web Protection enabled, please Zip up %systemroot%\MEMORY.dmp and upload the file to WeTransfer.com.

2 minutes ago, enyceedanny said:

You are correct. The only issue is the blue screen. That's the reason I started this thread. 

Understood now, thank you. The confusion came from the earlier mention of the machine freezing in post #43.

Please make sure you have the latest 3.7.1 version installed (components package 1.0.538). The installer can be downloaded from the following link: https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3

If the machine still blue screens with Web Protection enabled, please Zip up %systemroot%\MEMORY.dmp and upload the file to WeTransfer.com.

Edited by LiquidTension