Issues with Malwarebytes 3

I have had a 'somewhat similar' issue. Don't know if I should open a new posting, but I am listing it here, for now, 'cuz there seem to be 'some' similarities.

Here's what happens:

ISSUE/EFFECT: Malwarebytes goes into apparently infinite 'Applying Updates' loop. Latest manifestation was running for 50+ hrs. and survived several system system shutdowns and consequent re-starts. when this happens, cannot cancel or suspend this rogue 'Applying Updates' operation, as both 'SUSPEND' and 'CANCEL' buttons are not highlighted. Also survived taking this process down via Task Manager. Malwarebytes Tray application continues to run, which I think, is the on-going, real-time protection. I have been somewhat hesitant to monkey around with any of these processes, as I do NOT want to, inadvertently - or even 'advertently '(jes' kidding)... -  turn off any of the real-time protections. This runaway process also survived being blown away via task manager, which, perhaps, only blows away the dashboard et al. interface. This is indeed the Frankenstein process that just didn't want to die, no matter what - well, who does, I suppose?!

SECONDARY EFFECT - NOT ALWAYS PRESENT, BUT HAS BEEN NOTED IN LATEST ITERATION OF THIS ISSUE: Scan may [not always...] display first one or two of flow schematic of scan process, first of which is 'Checking for Updates.' Latest manifestation was spinning in next - second - part of process. I don't want to kick off a scan, at this point, so I couldn't recall, and didn't check for, the name of the second scann process..

SECONDARY EFFECT: In general, Malwarebytes scans, especially with this runaway process, seem to 'eat' a lotta system resources when scanning. Just about brings my system - an older PC desktop workstation running Windows 10 - to its knees. System cannot boot up Firefox, MSWord and/or almost any other application. I had been scheduling scans to run on re-start, but I have since turned the scheduling off. Am currently scanning just prior to shutdown.

'TEMPORARY RESOLUTION: Finally stopped after PC 'Running/Applying Updates - Then Restarting.'

1.) Do not believe that I initiated a scan, in this, most recent, case. Previously, have seen this happen seemingly spontaneously, irrespective of whether or not I initiated a scan.

2.) Am okay for now, as I will not run another scan for a bit, but would like to see if there is any specific resolution.

3.) In general, 'cuz PCs get 'gucked up' here and there - and/or, after having been running, without reboot, for a bit, my usual go-to solution is to simply shutdown and/or re-start. Sometimes, it just ain't worth killing oneself - and/or any of Malwarebytes scarce resources - to chase some ephemeral chimera.

4.) Still, would appreciate any suggestions or tips regarding how I can shut this process down, if and when it re-occurs - which I am betting it likely will.

Thanks for any assistance.

• Root Admin

Hello @Guenther_Bedoo and :welcome:

We would need to get some logs please so that we can review and see what issues we can find and how to resolve them for you.

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:
NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab

1944505166_Repairmenu_arrows.png.566f861
  7. Click the Gather Logs button

Advanced_arrows.png.4bf56db369b0b175ee2b

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

715586608_AdvancedGatherLogs_arrows.png.

9. Upon completion, a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK

164871969_AdvancedGatherLogscompleted_ar

10. Please attach the file in your next reply.

Thank you

Ron